Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-23-2008, 06:38 PM   #1
pjfan281
pjfan281 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
can Calibre split text from multiple pdf pages?

I recently got a Sony E-Reader 505 and was turned on to some formatting programs by reviewers online. I have been trying out Book Designer and Calibre. Both work, but only to a certain degree. Calibre seems to be most accurate in formatting pdf's to read on the Sony Reader, with one exception - it starts a new page in the Reader wherever there is a new page in the original pdf. This leaves me with some pages having only having a few lines of text before I have to turn the e-page and continue reading.

Book Designer is good in that it can take text from one pdf page and merge it with another to keep the text going naturally. Book Designer, however, seems to be horrible at formatting in my experience. In one book, for example, anytime a sentence is written in ALL CAPITALS LIKE THIS (if, say, a character is yelling) it takes that as a new chapter and does all crazy line breaks. It's also very bad at reading other breaks. It almost wipes them out completely. This leaves me having to go back and manually fix lots and lots of pages.

Basically, I want to preserve the original formatting of the text in the pdf, but have it sized down with accurate text wrapping for the E-Reader. How can I get Calibre to split/merge text on pdf pages? Are there other programs that can do it?

I have searched this forum and others and came upon the same question from others, but all went unanswered. Any help you guys can give me is greatly appreciated. I know pdf is the least preferred source to work with, but I also tried converting the pdf to both .doc and .rtf first, and neither worked well (with those I lose all original indentation and paragraph breaks fro mthe original pdf...way too much to even attempt to fix manually)
pjfan281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:29 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
its on my insanely long todo list
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2008, 11:14 PM   #3
pjfan281

oh, ok...well at least i have an answer now lol and maybe me bringing it up will get it bumped up on that to-do list =) but i must say great program in general. fast and pretty damn accurate.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:10 PM   #4
sam1am
Enthusiast
sam1am began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
The new prs505 firmware supports pdf reflow, which supposedly solves this problem. YMMV.
sam1am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:08 AM   #5
pjfan281

thanks for the heads up. i got the update, and it does work for pdf overflow, but far from perfect. it still breaks off to new page randomly in the middle of a current page =) it does however do adecent job and saves me from having to convert file types
Advert