Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-07-2008, 08:39 AM   #1
bakerjw
Enthusiast
bakerjw doesn't litterbakerjw doesn't litter

Device: none
Kindle and TXT files.

I am seriously close to picking up a Kindle over the Sony 505. Due mainly to I hate Sony software and it sounds as if the Kindle has more to offer and books/magazines are easy to purchase.

I have a lot of books in LIT or TXT formats that I will want to being into the Kindle to read. I spend evening reading to my visually impaired wife and I will read a lot of stuff that I've read before. Can the Kindle handle text files with proportional fonts? I hate reading monospace fonts.

Thanks for any comments.
John
bakerjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:46 AM   #2
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
You can certainly convert them very easily (well, the lit files are a bit trickier but just as tricky as they are to put on the Sony Reader.) I'm not sure about the fonts.

But you're right regarding the Sony situation... the software is TERRIBLE (and Windows only) and the prices and selection at the Kindle store are far superior, with magazines and newspapers as well.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2008, 10:14 AM   #3
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I put plain TXT files onto the Kindle -- they're fine. I copy/paste info about series so I know the reading order. Or info about an author from Wikipedia. Or my "books I want to buy" list.

Kindle displays the TXT files in the default font -- which is proportional. I think that you need to convert RTF or DOC files (which would have font and formatting information in them). Amazon's free conversion is probably sufficient.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:31 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The Kindle essentially only has one font, see posts #4 and #5 of Font Sizes. It is possible to turn off full justification if you want, but there are no other test display options. Your LIT ebooks can easily be converted to MOBI. I have never tried .txt on the Kindle, but these can be converted to MOBI as well if necessary (e.g. to improve formatting).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:53 AM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
These are Kindle's native file formats that require no conversion:

• Kindle (.AZW)
• Text (.TXT)
• Unprotected Mobipocket (.MOBI, .PRC)
• Audible (.AA)
• MP3 (.MP3)

If you get a moment, take a browse through the Kindle User Guide to familiarize yourself with the Kindle's features (while you're waiting for it to arrive ). It's a quick read.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2008, 10:58 AM   #6
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Text works great on our Kindle
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 04:37 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
These are Kindle's native file formats that require no conversion:

• Kindle (.AZW)
• Text (.TXT)
• Unprotected Mobipocket (.MOBI, .PRC)
• Audible (.AA)
• MP3 (.MP3)

If you get a moment, take a browse through the Kindle User Guide to familiarize yourself with the Kindle's features (while you're waiting for it to arrive ). It's a quick read.
and if you change the extension on html documents to .TXT they can also be read.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:17 PM   #8
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
and if you change the extension on html documents to .TXT they can also be read.
I see an experiment in my very near future. After changing the extension to .TXT, will I read the HTML document, tags and all, or will the Kindle actually render the tags?
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:52 PM   #9
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
I tried the change the html extention to txt on a couple of the stories on FLURB and it worked quite well.

Obviously this is great for a quick and dirty upload to the Kindle (no pictures) but the formatting was surprisingly good.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:19 PM   #10
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
I see an experiment in my very near future. After changing the extension to .TXT, will I read the HTML document, tags and all, or will the Kindle actually render the tags?
The .txt file will appear on your home page and will be readable like any other document. I've had decent luck with relatively simple pages, where most things rendered correctly. The more complex a page gets, the more likely it is to display badly. Most of the time I'll just copy and paste what I want to read into Notepad and email the file to my Kindle. This works dependably.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:45 PM   #11
Trialjudge
Trialjudge began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
I am seriously close to picking up a Kindle over the Sony 505. Due mainly to I hate Sony software and it sounds as if the Kindle has more to offer

/QUOTE]

I am old enough to remember when Sony thought it was a fine idea to put rootkits on computers and spyware was fine and dandy. I don't think I'd ever feel safe with a Sony product.
Trialjudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:37 AM   #12
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
This thread is five years old.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote