Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-05-2013, 06:49 AM   #1
igcplayer
igcplayer began at the beginning.

Device: kobo min
WiFi Problems with 2.6.2 and 2.8.1 Touch and Mini

I have here a Kobo mini and a Kobo Touch. With both devices I sometimes get a Wifi connection but in most cases not. If a connection is established it is unstable and the build in browser works only sporadic . I've tried nearly everything I've found in the forum. Lowercase passphrases, different firmware versions and so on, nothing helps.
My Wifi is used by sometimes about 6 other devices, none of them having problems. I think Wifi-Internet is implemented very poorly within the kobo firmware.
igcplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:42 PM   #2
Thane1
Connoisseur
Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini
What brand/model of router are you using? Do you have the SSID hidden (or off)?

General stuff you could check if you have not done so already:
-ensure you have enough DCHP leases
-ensure your lease time isn't too long or short
-enable SSID broadcast (people hide them and it does nothing all for security)
-try not connecting to a VAP (virtual access point) if you have been using one.

As a beta feature (and how does this differ from the rest of the firmware? ) the browser can be a bit funny at times, and Kobo officially does not support it, however you could send them a detailed explanation of the problems you have had. I have observed that some web pages (high in flash, java and other components) can cause issues, either extreme lagging or even locking up the reader, however not with 2.6.2 or 2.8.1 as of yet.
Thane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2013, 01:43 AM   #3
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
On a related note - I'd really love to be able to connect my Glo to a WiFi LAN that isn't connected to the internet. It seems that, like my Kindle Touch, the Glo's last step in joining a WiFi network is "check for internet connectivity" - and while I understand how that's a good thing to check, the user oughta be able to say "okay, but connect anyway."
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:25 PM   #4
Thane1
Connoisseur
Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
On a related note - I'd really love to be able to connect my Glo to a WiFi LAN that isn't connected to the internet.
It must "dial" home after it makes a connection to the network. I wonder if using a packet analyzer would allow you to find out what the reader is trying to connect with. Knowing still doesn't address your issue but perhaps the guys in the developer area could use it to look for whatever part of the code is responsible for making the call. If Kobo doesn't change the behaviour in the firmware you might be able to, or redirect the readers request to something on your private network which simulates a response the reader finds acceptable.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:59 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Someone has done gotten the URL in the the past. And there was discussion on how to work around it. Sorry, I don't remember the URL or who posted it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2013, 10:22 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=182846 maybe?

www.apple.com/library/test/success.html
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:09 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
That's the one. And the reminder of the URL found the threads discussing workarounds: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2377037 and to a lesser extent https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2581112.

And I think Rev Bob is correct. If the fetch of the URL fails, it prompts you to connect to a new network and doing so drops the saved password.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:57 PM   #8
igcplayer
igcplayer began at the beginning.

Device: kobo min
thanks for response. Lease time is ok, I've even tried with a fixed IP-Addresse. SSID ist not hidden (I would not do that). I'm running out of ideas. Router is Asus RT-N56u, nothing special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane1 View Post
What brand/model of router are you using? Do you have the SSID hidden (or off)?

General stuff you could check if you have not done so already:
-ensure you have enough DCHP leases
-ensure your lease time isn't too long or short
-enable SSID broadcast (people hide them and it does nothing all for security)
-try not connecting to a VAP (virtual access point) if you have been using one.

As a beta feature (and how does this differ from the rest of the firmware? ) the browser can be a bit funny at times, and Kobo officially does not support it, however you could send them a detailed explanation of the problems you have had. I have observed that some web pages (high in flash, java and other components) can cause issues, either extreme lagging or even locking up the reader, however not with 2.6.2 or 2.8.1 as of yet.
igcplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:17 AM   #9
Thane1
Connoisseur

Should be no issues with that router (actually it is a rather nice one, dual radios, gigabit, etc.).

The only think that I could suggest is there is some sort of interference though given that the device can connect in either band (BG & AN) it is highly unlikely. Metageek.com has a tool called InSSIDer which allows you to see other wireless networks. It is a free tool (and be warned they have built ads into it) however it will allow you to see which channels that are not in use. If you see other networks using the same channels as yours, try a different one and hopefully it will help.

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/