Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 09-29-2013, 06:10 AM   #1
RobertMN
RobertMN began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Post Almost there, but . . .

So I took my iMac Word .doc, dumped it into InDesign (the latest & greatest), formatted it into an ebook -- including its own TOC -- then exported it as an EPUB document. Used Calibre to convert EPUB into AZW3 (for future use on the Kindle Fire). In "Structure Detection", I clicked the "remove first image" box; in "TOC", I clicked "Do not add detected chapters to TOC" box; in "AZW3 Output", I clicked "do not add TOC to book." And it works great . . . almost.

In the Calibre Viewer, I can't use the "Go to TOC" button (no link) though the TOC (and links) are there in the front, as they should be. Also, can't use the "forward" or "back" arrows (no links there, either).

In the latest/greatest Kindle Previewer for iMac, I can't use the "go to previous/next section" double-arrows, and I can't use the "go to index" button, though the indue & links are there. So close . . .

(By the way, I opened John Schember's Calibre Quick Start EPUB document in the Kindle Previewer, and though I could use the double-arrow section buttons, I could NOT use the "go to Index" button (no link) even though the index was there. Is it me or the Previewer?)

Thanks for the input.
RobertMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:50 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Either use the Kindle export from InDesign, or use the ePub output, and convert it using KindleGen or Kindle Preview. You might need to tweak the ePub with Sigil or possibly unzip and use a text editor on some of the metadata to get the best results.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2013, 07:39 AM   #3
RobertMN

Grazie

Thank for the quick reply, but not sure what "Kindle export from InDesign" means. Is this some plug-in? Don't see this option in the File menu, just "export."

Thanks again.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:48 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertMN View Post
Thank for the quick reply, but not sure what "Kindle export from InDesign" means. Is this some plug-in? Don't see this option in the File menu, just "export."

Thanks again.
Let me google that for you.

Yes, it's a plugin, from Amazon.

If a good quality Kindle ebook is your aim, I don't think there's a better way than tweaking an ePub and running it through KindleGen at the moment.

You might find my AppleScript Wrapper for KindleGen useful, and you probably should read up on the Kindle Publishing Guidelines which give details on how to tweak formatting and metadata to get the effects you want.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:15 AM   #5
RobertMN

Double grazie

Thanks, pdurrant. I will take your sound advice (and I appreciate the links).

Norfolk, England? Sounds as "cold" as Minnesota.
Advert
Old 09-29-2013, 09:15 AM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertMN View Post
Thanks, pdurrant. I will take your sound advice (and I appreciate the links).

Norfolk, England? Sounds as "cold" as Minnesota.
Thankfully not. About the same in Summer (temperatures in the mid-20s Celsius), but much warmer in Winter (it rarely gets below freezing, and if we have snow, it's usually not for more than a couple of weeks in all).
Old 09-29-2013, 10:13 AM   #7
RobertMN

Update

I did as you commanded. It worked. The Kindle Reader is happy, I'm happy, our government spies are happy (hi, guys; back from church already?). All is well in Minnesota. Hope it is there, too.

Thanks.

Last edited by RobertMN; 09-29-2013 at 10:15 AM. Reason: It's even funnier . . .

Tags
toc problems