Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 04-02-2017, 02:46 PM   #1276
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Ouch! Some time ago I remember I manually removed the "finished" event records (was it event number 5?) for non-existent books, and it did not seem to cause any undesired side effect. But this was with some 3.x firmware.
I'm sure I've done this before and it was OK. But, it hasn't been for a while. And it's likely to be particulare event types. 5 is the finish book event. And that's probably what is being used for the finished book count. Testing what can and can't be removed is going to be a pain.
Quote:
Something else, yesterday I updated some books on the device and they ended up as new entries, because the filename changed (the old name had an apostrope, the new name replaced it with an underscore). Not only the new book didn't get the settings/stats from the old book, but I got duplicate entries because the old book was not deleted. Can something be done in the driver or the plugin to at least warn before uploading the file? The best would be to modify all database entries to use the new name before uploading, but I guess that's not really possible.
This has been suggested before. And adjusting most of the database will work. I think I have done it manually some time ago. But, the Event table is different because of the checksums. Intercepting the file name change and removing the existing file and updating the database at that time is the other problem. It's all probably possible, but I'm not sure of the risk.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 02:54 PM   #1277
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Intercepting the file name change and removing the existing file and updating the database at that time is the other problem.
What about a warning if the filename that will be used for uploading does not match the existing one, and the possibility of using the old filename instead of the new?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2017, 04:30 AM   #1278
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What about a warning if the filename that will be used for uploading does not match the existing one, and the possibility of using the old filename instead of the new?
The problem is knowing what the old file name was. Calibre generates the file name and gives the driver an opportunity to modify it (this is used for kepubs). But, if the book is already on the device, I don't know if at that time there is anyway to know that and what the file name is. And using the old file name is a problem. The example you gave with the quote was to fix a problem on the device. From memory, the cover image handling was broken with this. Or, it might have been an issue with kepubs. In those circumstances, reusing the old file name might not be a good idea.

I'll have a look when I get a chance, but I'm not sure when that will be.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:44 AM   #1279
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The problem is knowing what the old file name was. Calibre generates the file name and gives the driver an opportunity to modify it (this is used for kepubs). But, if the book is already on the device, I don't know if at that time there is anyway to know that and what the file name is.
Since calibre tags the book as "on device", I'd imagine it knows what the old filename is (but I don't see a GUI way to get that). Maybe some change is needed in calibre to make this information available to the driver?

Quote:
And using the old file name is a problem. The example you gave with the quote was to fix a problem on the device. From memory, the cover image handling was broken with this. Or, it might have been an issue with kepubs. In those circumstances, reusing the old file name might not be a good idea.
Yes, I understand that. If you implement that I guess the message should indicate that using the old filename could be problematic. There are other cases that could be justified, like minor fixes in a title.

Quote:
I'll have a look when I get a chance, but I'm not sure when that will be.
Thank you, no rush
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 07:10 AM   #1280
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Since calibre tags the book as "on device", I'd imagine it knows what the old filename is (but I don't see a GUI way to get that). Maybe some change is needed in calibre to make this information available to the driver?
It is displayed in the detailed pane of the device list.
Quote:
Yes, I understand that. If you implement that I guess the message should indicate that using the old filename could be problematic. There are other cases that could be justified, like minor fixes in a title.
The problem is that the new file name isn't calculated until well into the send and as part of the job. Getting any user interaction at that point is impossible. I don't think that there is a way to do it earlier. But, it's one of the things to look at.
Advert
Old 04-03-2017, 07:22 AM   #1281
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Maybe a solution would be to add a new operation -- sync filename for selected book(s) on device which would rename the file on the device (rather than recopy it) and try to patch the database to match.

This could be something on the book context menu from the device pane, and the operation would be done in the driver itself for drivers that support it.

This is something that has annoyed me in a small way for a while.
Between title edits that change filenames and my own playing with the filename template, I've got a lot of books that are not exactly where they should be. As kobo ignores the filename itself in the UI, this isn't a big deal, but if I use something other than kobo's gui, it gets annoying fast.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:46 AM   #1282
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
Maybe a solution would be to add a new operation -- sync filename for selected book(s) on device which would rename the file on the device (rather than recopy it) and try to patch the database to match.

This could be something on the book context menu from the device pane, and the operation would be done in the driver itself for drivers that support it.
Well, that that is what we have been talking about. It needs to be worked out if is practical and what needs to be changed and where on the device.
Quote:
This is something that has annoyed me in a small way for a while.
Between title edits that change filenames and my own playing with the filename template, I've got a lot of books that are not exactly where they should be. As kobo ignores the filename itself in the UI, this isn't a big deal, but if I use something other than kobo's gui, it gets annoying fast.
The KoboTouch device driver does not support anything other than the use of the Kobo GUI. It reads the database and doesn't look for files elsewhere. If you are using KOReader instead, you shouldn't use the driver. Use the connect to a folder, or the User Defined driver. Both of those will scan for books and you can configure them to put the books were you want. And if you aren't using the Kobo UI, simply deleting and resending the books should fix the name and location.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:14 PM   #1283
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
The Kobo GUI is my primary interface, but occasionally I've pulled the SD card to retrieve documents in an emergency. I've tried koreader, but its lack of any kind of tagged browsing or a controllable zoom makes it fairly useless to me.

I know I can delete and resend documents to fix the filenames, but it'd be so much easier and faster to automatically rename them instead if there was a way to add that support to the driver. Usually I just live with the mess and let the GUI cover it up.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:06 AM   #1284
egin
egin began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
annotions does not transfer back to my kobo device

hey friends,

today i had to reset my kobo device and now i want to use the backup of the annotions with kobo utilities to transfer them back to my kobo device so that i have the annotions and so on back in my books.

but i dont find a oppertunity to do so. i only find the possibility to delet or to backup them.

i also did a device backup before - how can i use that file to backup the kobo device?
egin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:40 AM   #1285
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

There are no restore functions in the plugin because it should only be done with care.

The annotations files can be restored to the directory "Digital Editions/Annotations". This only contains annotations for epubs and PDF files. If you sideload kepubs, their annotations are only stored in the database.

The device database can be restored to replace the new database in the .kobo directory. After doing this, you should restart the device.

For either of these to work properly, the books have to be restored to the same place and file name they were when the backups were done. But, I don't normally recommend restoring the database after a factory reset. The database backups are more for recovery from a corrupted database. Restoring a recent good backup will usually solve this problem.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:47 AM   #1286
egin
egin began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
thank you for your advice. i copied today all the annotions from my backup into that folder (digital editions/annotions) but i dont see them in my books.

what did i make wrong`?
in case i want to make the backup file working on my kobo, i just copie it into the .kobo folder?

do i need to rename it into KoboReader.sqlite?
the file name of my backup is: KoboReader-KoboGloHD-N437585902979-20170416-122357

Last edited by egin; 04-22-2017 at 08:50 AM.
egin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 09:29 AM   #1287
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by egin View Post
thank you for your advice. i copied today all the annotions from my backup into that folder (digital editions/annotions) but i dont see them in my books.
Did you open the books after copying the files? And did you make sure the file names matched perfectly?
Quote:
what did i make wrong`?
in case i want to make the backup file working on my kobo, i just copie it into the .kobo folder?

do i need to rename it into KoboReader.sqlite?
the file name of my backup is: KoboReader-KoboGloHD-N437585902979-20170416-122357
Yes, you need to rename the database backup KoboReader.sqlite when you restore it.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:55 AM   #1288
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
When I change the status of a book from read to unread, it still show the the old percentage in Percentage Read Column instead of being undefined.

Last edited by oren64; 05-04-2017 at 06:19 AM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:28 AM   #1289
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post
When I change the status of a book from read to unread, it still show the the old percentage in Percentage Read Column instead of being undefined.
How did you do this? On the device or using something in the plugin?
Old 05-04-2017, 09:47 AM   #1290
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
At first I use the Update Metadata to set the books as unread, and reconnect to Calibre.
I also tried from the device with the same result.

Last edited by oren64; 05-04-2017 at 11:23 AM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo, kobo utilities