Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-29-2013, 12:57 PM   #1
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Registration and Rooting STR/Glo

I'm looking to root a couple of Nooks (both basic and Glo) for a couple of relatives. I've picked up the toolkit (NookManager, etc) and a microSD card. I'm ready to go, but...

How does rooting impact the Nook's registration/deregistration?

Question 1: Is it possible to root a pristine unregistered Nook, install android apps, and later register the device to use the B&N apps or do you have to register first?

Question 2: If the device is registered before rooting, can it be deregistered and re-registered while rooted or do you have to restore the original configuration and start over?

Any assistance or hints would be greatly appreciated.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:49 AM   #2
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I'm no expert, but here goes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
How does rooting impact the Nook's registration/deregistration?
I don't think it does. It's all still there unless you choose to remove the relevant apps (which I did).

Quote:
Question 1: Is it possible to root a pristine unregistered Nook, install android apps, and later register the device to use the B&N apps or do you have to register first?
You can avoid registering, but I think it is then impossible to turn off wifi which will drain battery. I set up an email account and used it to register an account on the Nook website. This way I didn't need a credit card. I then used that account to register the device. You can use the same account to register both devices if you wish.

Quote:
Question 2: If the device is registered before rooting, can it be deregistered and re-registered while rooted or do you have to restore the original configuration and start over?
I'm not sure, but if you de-register, it seems to me that it will still be rooted. Again, I suspect wifi will stay on. Basically, I don't think it will be a problem, but I've never tried.

Quote:
Any assistance or hints would be greatly appreciated.
After rooting, go to systems/apps using some kind of file manager (I used root explorer) and rename the cell standby.apk (can't remember exact name, google it) to .apk.old. This apk SUCKS battery and is never used because it is for cell phones calling home(!).

Incidentally, I'm not sure why you would want to root a device you are going to give as a gift. Rooting the Nook is a power-user / hacker type thing to do. The existing software is adequate for the average user who just wants to read.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2013, 06:01 PM   #3
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Incidentally, I'm not sure why you would want to root a device you are going to give as a gift. Rooting the Nook is a power-user / hacker type thing to do. The existing software is adequate for the average user who just wants to read.
My sister spends a lot of time on the beach to decompress from her job.
(And trust me, decompression is a must, in that job! She' a natural born drill-sergeant and the job needs that skill set. )

Rooting a Nook gives her a way to do her web surfing and dedicated Android news apps on an eInk device using her phone's 4G. A bigger screen, too. She's seen eink browsing on my T1 and has no problem with eink screens. Not when they're visible in blistering sunny high noon brightness.

(Plus I'm taking Radio Shack clearance toys--low expectations. )

Thanks for the tips.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:37 PM   #4
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
As long as they get their books from B&N, otherwise one of the big features of rooting is a better file explorer.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:43 PM   #5
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I used nookmanager to root the STR. It installs a non-graphical Android. interface. It's ugly but light on resources. It takes a little getting used to, but its all there. Make sure you kill the cell standby apk process. Rename it. Otherwise you'll get no battery life.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert