Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-11-2013, 01:10 AM   #766
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Jon's Charis SIL Modified Larger is the best Font I've used to date. If Anyone's looking for it, the link is in post #700.
I'll have to update my Charis SIL Modified with the new version and give it a try. I've been using the Charis SIL Compact that Jon put together. I'll try this other one and see if I like it better.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:18 PM   #767
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I'll have to update my Charis SIL Modified with the new version and give it a try. I've been using the Charis SIL Compact that Jon put together. I'll try this other one and see if I like it better.
I just put the Charis SIL Modified on both of my Kindles, and discovered that I like it!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2013, 04:35 AM   #768
hfpop
Addict
hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: N/A
What are the pt sizes at which Charis SIL Modified and Charis SIL Modified Larger are displayed on Kindle Paperwhite?
hfpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:06 AM   #769
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I use a font called Crimson that I like very much. Set at third setting from the right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_Crimson_PW.png
Views:	691
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	105074  
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:59 PM   #770
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfpop View Post
What are the pt sizes at which Charis SIL Modified and Charis SIL Modified Larger are displayed on Kindle Paperwhite?
The Modified Larger somewhat matches the PW's default font. The Modified and Compact are a little bit smaller.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2013, 03:41 PM   #771
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
I've tried quite a lot of fonts, but I always come back to my own fat version of DejaVu Serif. It's as big as Caecilia, but it puts 3 extra lines on screen because of it's smaller line space, and puts more characters per line because it's less wide.

All other fonts I've tried have "something" that irks me while reading. Too wide, too much spacing, too fat, too thin, "e" that has such a small "loop" that it almost looks like a "c"...

Last edited by Katsunami; 04-29-2013 at 10:15 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:34 PM   #772
discopig
Book Addict
discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Charis SIL Modified Larger, couldn't switch back after trying it.
discopig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:24 PM   #773
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
I've found another font that displays well on the Kindle. It's called Linux Libertine.

http://www.dafont.com/linux-libertine.font
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screen_shot-1672.gif
Views:	508
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	105542  
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:36 PM   #774
sneakyspider
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
All other fonts I've tried have "something" that irks me while reading. Too wide, too much spacing, too fat, too thin, "e" that has such a small "loop" that it almost looks like a "c"...
I'm very particular about fonts as well. I haven't found one that's absolutely perfect for me, but I have a list of ones that I like the most. I quite like "Adobe Garamond Pro," "CrimsonText," "FanwoodText," "Lusitana," and "Linux Libertine."
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fsl-720 (1).png
Views:	316
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	105544   Click image for larger version

Name:	fsl-720 (2).png
Views:	330
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	105545   Click image for larger version

Name:	fsl-720.png
Views:	331
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	105546   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lusitana.png
Views:	331
Size:	2.1 KB
ID:	105547   Click image for larger version

Name:	Garamond.GIF
Views:	302
Size:	3.1 KB
ID:	105548  
Old 05-07-2013, 04:05 PM   #775
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyspider View Post
I'm very particular about fonts as well. I haven't found one that's absolutely perfect for me...
You could try my fattened version of the free DejaVu Serif:

http://members.home.nl/katsunami/misc/DejaVu-Fat.zip

It's the font I'm always coming back to in the end.

LaTeX spoiled me, with its perfect layout and ligatures and stuff.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:35 PM   #776
sneakyspider

I like the font, but it's a bit too dark for me. I don't know why, but I don't like the bolder types of fonts. Thanks for the recommendation, though.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:49 PM   #777
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
I like the font, but it's a bit too dark for me. I don't know why, but I don't like the bolder types of fonts. Thanks for the recommendation, though.
You can get the unmodified version here if you want something thinner.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:05 PM   #778
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Heh.... I find Garamond Pro way too light. Same for the standard Kindle versions of Palatino and Baskerville though, and also for most other fonts that are not adjusted for e-ink screens.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #779
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I've tried quite a lot of fonts, but I always come back to my own fat version of DejaVu Serif. It's as big as Caecilia, but it puts 3 extra lines on screen because of it's smaller line space, and puts more characters per line because it's less wide.

Thanks for posting I finally get to thank you of this font. I use it all the time its just perfect.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:11 PM   #780
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Thanks for posting I finally get to thank you of this font. I use it all the time its just perfect.
Thanks, I think it's almost prefect too. Only thing I'd wish would be ligature support in this font and the Kindle