Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 04-15-2012, 10:50 AM   #1
Alnoteman
Alnoteman
Alnoteman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Reader for PC
Introduction of a new member.

Hi all, though my user name is Alnoteman my nick name is Notty so I'll sign off as Notty. I'm 73 so getting a bit old for all this tech stuff but I'm trying to keep up with modern trends. I was born in Manchester UK and spent 27 years there. Then went out to South Africa for a better life and spent 27-years there as well, ending up with three kids and a boat. Built the yacht Jacana while working there and set sail in 1995 on a 16000-mile cruise with my wife and son. Having done two South Atlantic crossings before this I guess I must have sailed 26000-miles in all. We visited Brazil, French Guiana & Devils Island, the Caribbean from Grenada in the South through the Grenadenes through the Windward and Leeward Islands to St. Maarten. Chased out of there by Hurrican Luis so sailed over the N. Atlantic to Azores, the UK and Med. Arrived back in the UK by boat to visit friends and got stuck here where we ran out of money.

I started again by working in various shipyards in Spain and the UK installing Fire Detection Systems on RN warships & Ferries as a sub contractor to Tyco. I did this till age 68 when they told me to bugger off you're too old for this work! I've been semi retired ever since.

I've joined this forum as I'm sure a lot of you may have done out of sheer frustration with the huge job that is seems to be of getting a book published as an ebook. Had I known how much was involved when I started I probably would have had it done by a pro. However, having spent weeks and weeks trying to master it all, I'm now on the last leg, the dreaded TOC! I'm not sure if I can contribute much as I'm sure most of you are far more advanced than I am but for what it's worth here goes a little of what I've found so far?

The writing was the easy bit, even the editing was not a huge problem but once I decided to try to make a mobi file that's where the problems started. I spent a lot of time trying to strip formatting from Word and in the end I gave up on MS-word 97, MS-Word 2000 and even MS-Word 2011 for Mac. as I found them all to be unstable when it came to images, page breaks, line breaks and blank pages appearing from nowhere. I then purchased Serif desktop publishing package and found that OK but the Epub files that it generated were not accepted by Mobipocket. After many tries I decided that the only way was to convert to a PDF file then feed this through Mobipocket and this worked. I managed to get this accepted by Amazon and now only need the TOC. This is where I'm stuck as I have no knowledge of html. I am willing to learn from others and that is my main reason for joining the forum so hope you don't think that's a selfish reason.

Cheers, Notty. (Alnoteman)

Last edited by Alnoteman; 04-15-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Alnoteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:02 AM   #2
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
Hello and welcome to MR!
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2012, 12:40 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Notty and welcome to MobileRead.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:45 PM   #4
Valmore Daniels
Grand Sorcerer
Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Welcome to the boards
Valmore Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:04 PM   #5
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Welcome to MR!

Imogen
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2012, 04:29 PM   #6
Alnoteman
Alnoteman
Alnoteman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Reader for PC
Hi all Sigil experts, Notty here!
I have only just found Sigil and was getting on well with reformatting a Mobi file but once I was 1/4 way through, it started to go slow then crash out each time I asked it to change some text. I thought the manuscript should be stored in many containers but in my one the whole 340-pages is in one place so I think its overloaded. I also checked with the Sigil manual and the user interface they show there has Tools and Insert on it but mine does not have that so does anyone know how I can get the latest Sigil where I may have more luck? Apart from that is seems to be doing a good job so it must be something I'm doing wrong that has upset it? If anyone can help please email me if that is allowed at Alnoteman@aol.com Thanks

Notty
Alnoteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:27 PM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Please look around our site.

We have an area where sigil issues are discussed.

The Introduce Yourself Forum is for introductions.

Have fun!

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:31 AM   #8
kindman777
kindman777 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Welcome Alnoteman .
kindman777 is offline   Reply With Quote