Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: November 2011 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
This Perfect Day by Ira Levin 6 8.45%
Fuzzy Nation by John Scalzi 6 8.45%
Heaven by Jack Cohen and Ian Stewart 3 4.23%
Hyperion by Dan Simmons 11 15.49%
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley 6 8.45%
Dune by Frank Herbert 6 8.45%
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick 9 12.68%
Enders Game by Orson Scott Card 8 11.27%
A Canticle For Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller 12 16.90%
Halting State by Charles Stross 4 5.63%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-26-2011, 08:33 PM   #136
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I definitely like the secret ballot.

In regard to discussion, I wouldn't mind people speaking positively about books they would like to read, but I was stung by the negative comments - Don't vote for this book or I didn't vote for that book. I feel that those negative comments insult the three people who nominated the book.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:49 PM   #137
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Maybe keep the blind vote, but allow anyone who wants to campaign to do so. Most of us realize that just because some people are more vocal in their opinion it doesn't follow that theirs is the majority opinion. I think we've all been around the block enough times to know that the squeakiest wheel isn't always backing the winner.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2011, 08:58 PM   #138
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post

In regard to discussion, I wouldn't mind people speaking positively about books they would like to read, but I was stung by the negative comments - Don't vote for this book or I didn't vote for that book. I feel that those negative comments insult the three people who nominated the book.
I think that connecting an insult with negative comments is a bit too much. People have opinions (some more than others), and there may be good reasons to speak negatively about a book. Moderators are pretty willing to prevent true abuses. I personally like folks to give there thoughts, good or bad.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:59 PM   #139
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
There was nothing remotely unfair about the prior system. You may prefer this one, but it's no fairer. Can we grow up and avoid playground terminology? Especially when "fair" can be deconstructed to mean, "my choices never seem to win, so I want to try something else."
I think you missed the plot (as they say in the UK).

What happened now was that every book had votes. The votes were a lot closer. We didn't have any of the "choosing a book because the others didn't have enough votes". We've had people admit they voted because of the way the votes were going and not for what they really wanted. So yes, fair is the exact and correct word. This vote was fair. It was not railroaded by who voted for what or how many votes. This vote was FAIR.

I'm sorry you seem to think that everything I am in favor of has to have an ulterior motive. But that's just not so. It was just very obvious (if you'd take off your blinders) that the voting wasn't actually impartial. Once we had enough votes, we may as well have only had 1 or 2 books nominated. It didn't work. It wasn't what people wanted. They voted for what had a chance to win. That's not how it should have been.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:05 PM   #140
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Maybe keep the blind vote, but allow anyone who wants to campaign to do so. Most of us realize that just because some people are more vocal in their opinion it doesn't follow that theirs is the majority opinion. I think we've all been around the block enough times to know that the squeakiest wheel isn't always backing the winner.
That would work for me. There were a few people who weighed the pros and cons over the different choices, and I did like that.

I was right, however, that the discussion indicated that I should not have voted for my first choice. I didn't listen this time, but it could sway my vote next time, as my 2nd choice came in 2nd place and could have been first if not for that one vote.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2011, 09:06 PM   #141
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I loved it. The anticipation was exciting. I also enjoyed those who were hinting around what they had chosen. Plus, like you said, the votes were much closer.

All that in mind, I wouldn't do a blind vote every month.

I would suggest using it a couple times during the year. Specifically January: Wild Card and August: Free For All (any genre), due to the random, surprise nature of those months anyway, as well as one of the two Classic months so that we can have one with and one without.
Sure we didn't have the campaigning. But we did have some fun discussion. Heck, I even got to make a countdown timer. The results were the closest they have been in a long time (if ever). So I do think the blind vote worked. It achieved the result of the winning book being the one more people wanted and not because other books had no hope in hell of winning.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:21 PM   #142
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I think you missed the plot (as they say in the UK).

What happened now was that every book had votes. The votes were a lot closer. We didn't have any of the "choosing a book because the others didn't have enough votes". We've had people admit they voted because of the way the votes were going and not for what they really wanted. So yes, fair is the exact and correct word. This vote was fair. It was not railroaded by who voted for what or how many votes. This vote was FAIR.

I'm sorry you seem to think that everything I am in favor of has to have an ulterior motive. But that's just not so. It was just very obvious (if you'd take off your blinders) that the voting wasn't actually impartial. Once we had enough votes, we may as well have only had 1 or 2 books nominated. It didn't work. It wasn't what people wanted. They voted for what had a chance to win. That's not how it should have been.
I agree with Jon, here. His use of the word "fair" equals "more accurate" or more specifically "less influenced". He does not mean "unjust".

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Sure we didn't have the campaigning. But we did have some fun discussion. Heck, I even got to make a countdown timer. The results were the closest they have been in a long time (if ever). So I do think the blind vote worked. It achieved the result of the winning book being the one more people wanted and not because other books had no hope in hell of winning.
I do not miss the campaigning per se, but, as others have stated (myself included) discussion of the various choices is fun.
To clarify, I prefer the "Here is why I think we will enjoy this book" posts over the "Hey vote for this not for that" posts.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:46 PM   #143
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Did everyone like the hidden vote? I kind of missed the campaigning, but the results were much closer!
It was my first vote. :-P I liked it, though.

I don't suggest that the moderators actually undertake the labor of ranked-choice voting, but this is a situation in which an instant runoff voting (IRV) scheme shines. Many voters probably feel that their vote was wasted, but in an IRV system, second and third place votes are re-assigned as required to achieve a true majority.

IRV can yield surprising results. For example, Hyperion and Canticle could have lost, unless they had a sufficient number of second-choice votes in addition to the first-choice votes.

I don't think I'm explaining it well, and anyway, it's too much work for our volunteers to do manually. Trust me, though. It's a cool way to vote.
Kevin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:33 PM   #144
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Obviously I'm happy about the selection this month , and I enjoyed the suspense of the hidden vote. At the same time, I also like the discussion during the open vote.

I've had a suggestion similar to Nyssa's for some days, but wanted to wait until the vote was over to bring it up:

We could alternate monthly from hidden to open. So, say, this year the odd months are hidden and the even months are open. The year after could be reversed (odd months open, even months hidden) so all monthly genres can equally have both types of votes.

I think that would be a compromise that is enjoyable to everyone, and simple.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:36 PM   #145
Spacechik
Enthusiast
Spacechik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacechik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacechik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacechik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacechik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacechik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacechik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacechik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacechik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacechik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacechik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3g WiFi
So, being a new person, I only voted once. Can one vote 3 three tres times??? or for 3 choices? That makes no sense to me, but then to me it's silly to hide the votes. I vote for what I WANT to read...
Spacechik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:40 PM   #146
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacechik View Post
So, being a new person, I only voted once. Can one vote 3 three tres times??? or for 3 choices? That makes no sense to me, but then to me it's silly to hide the votes. I vote for what I WANT to read...
One can nominate or second/third up to a total of three times. But the vote is only once.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:44 PM   #147
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacechik View Post
You can only vote once in the voting poll for the Book Club selection.

In the Nominations thread, you have three votes. You can use them to nominate books, or to second or third someone else's nomination. A book needs three votes from different members to become fully nominated and make it into the voting poll.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:48 PM   #148
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Obviously I'm happy about the selection this month , and I enjoyed the suspense of the hidden vote. At the same time, I also like the discussion during the open vote.

I've had a suggestion similar to Nyssa's for some days, but wanted to wait until the vote was over to bring it up:

We could alternate monthly from hidden to open. So, say, this year the odd months are hidden and the even months are open. The year after could be reversed (odd months open, even months hidden) so all monthly genres can equally have both types of votes.

I think that would be a compromise that is enjoyable to everyone, and simple.
I like sun surfer's suggestion!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:18 AM   #149
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
So did I!
And Jon was right, the votes are much more spread out and I think the winners are actually the books the majority really wanted. In the open vote the early voters strongly influenced the votes of the people who came later. Surely nobody even then voted for a book he/she absolutely did not want to read, but it was not necessarily the # 1 favourit.
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:00 AM   #150
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Hidden vote + open discussion seems like a nice combination.
Kevin8or is offline   Reply With Quote