Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-14-2009, 07:14 AM   #1
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
How long for first charge?

Hi, just received my PRS505 from SonyStyle UK this morning. I have installed all the software and plugged it in to USB. The Ebook Library is recognising the Reader as it is seeing all the preinstalled excerpts.

The screen of the reader is currently saying 'Do not Disconnect' at the bottom and there is a picture of a USB connector at the top right and in the middle. There is also a 'no entry' circle in the middle, with the 'Starting Up', showing behind.

How long will it be before the screen changes as I have had it plugged in for about 2 hours now. Do I need to leave it for the 4 hours before it will allow me to disconnect? I don't want to mess with it when I have literally got it this morning.
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:29 AM   #2
ladyjane
I hate to clean
ladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, Acer NetBook
let it take a full charge about 4 hours till the red light light goes out.If you have the library showing on your computer screen you will notice where it shows your reader a little square with a triangle.when your fully charged you click that and it will disconnect your usb then your all set to go. Use that to always disconnect your usb cable. Well that is after you finish loading way to many book
ladyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:31 AM   #3
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Unless I'm mistaken, the screen will NOT change. The first few times I charged my Sony 505, I remember having the same problem. Eventually I just shut down the Sony software. THAT changed the screen! To know if your reader is fully charged, look at the red light on the top edge. If it's on, it's still charging. If it's off, the reader is charged. These days I charge it using a PSP AC wall charger. It takes much less time than when charging with the USB cable.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:33 AM   #4
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Many thanks, I am probably so excited with my new toy I didn't spot something in the manual that says you have to wait for the red light to go out!

I have managed to successfully crop the ebooks (pdfs) that came with my MA course, my MA books are way heavy so I am hoping that it will be easier to read them on the train and during lunchbreak (there is a habit of reading a section, then it says to go to another book and read a file paper, then back to Book 1). You can imagine this means that transporting several books can get really heavy.

Is this PSP charger going to be ok as I can see I need to have one and its much cheaper than buying the one for the reader. I could get 2 one for work and one for home and it would still be cheaper.

http://www.pspworld.co.uk/product_de...%20Accessories

Last edited by suecsi; 05-14-2009 at 07:39 AM.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:43 AM   #5
ladyjane
I hate to clean
ladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheese

Suecsi- I know you will love your new reader,it is so amazing and yah no more back breaking ton of books to lug around. But like mentioned above pick yourself up a PSP adaptor to charge from the wall only 2 hours. usb takes longer and there have been some discussions over that topic *some good some not so * but enjoy.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:16 AM   #6
suecsi
Rock Chick

OK - the red light has gone out now - but the screen is still the same and says 'Do not Connect' at the bottom. Should it change? Can I disconnect and hope for the best? Do I need to do a soft reset?
Old 05-14-2009, 08:23 AM   #7
ladyjane
I hate to clean

Suecsi. you need to disconnect your usb cable using the little square and triangle symble on the left side of your sony library screen(computer) then your reader will say usb connected . Just click that triangle thing and disconnect your cable. your reader will auto turn on
Old 05-14-2009, 08:45 AM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyjane View Post
Suecsi. you need to disconnect your usb cable using the little square and triangle symble on the left side of your sony library screen(computer) then your reader will say usb connected . Just click that triangle thing and disconnect your cable. your reader will auto turn on
Or you can close the Library software. That's how I do it.

If neither of those works, try restarting. Sometimes on the first connect it doesn't work, but does afterwards. The main thing though is not to disconnect when transferring data.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:33 AM   #9
crsheilah
Connoisseur
crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Velocity Cruz T103
My Sony 505 also says Do Not Disconnect whenever I put books on. That note never goes away. Can't remember if it did that when I first got it but I don't think so. I just give it what I think is enough time to download the books and then disconnect it from the computer and the books are always there. Strange.....
crsheilah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:43 AM   #10
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
Before disconnecting the usb cable you should properly "eject" the Reader from the computer. If using the Sony software, you will see a small eject icon appear when you mouse over the Reader in the left-hand pane. If using Calibre, the eject icon will appear when you mouse over the Reader along the top. If no software is open you should still have to eject the device from Windows/Mac and the process may vary depending on you OS.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:55 PM   #11
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
You don't have to use eject, it should go away when you close the library.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote