Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-14-2014, 03:54 AM   #1
rebl
r.eads e.njoys b.ooks lol
rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Undo bulk metadata edit (remove data in a field)?

Hi all, I've just removed, by mistake, all publishing dates (years) for a couple of books using the bulk metadata editor.
I meant to remove the Publisher, but not paying attention to what I'm doing I've also clicked the "clear published" green "recycle-like" button. Of course, this is all my fault, and actually it is not really such a big problem (only 34 books were affected), but that made me wonder if this kind of kind of action can be undone.
One could clear by mistake much more important fields. Of course, that would need a certain dose of stupidity or carelessness (or a cat walking on the unattended keyboard)... but still... Is there any way to undo a bulk edit or clear?
Thank you in advance.

P.S. I've searched the forum (in google) and only found a 2009 topic regarding undo for text entry in a field (like ctrl-z).

P.P.S - I'm already asuming there is no bulk undo function, but I thought it's better to be sure... before moving on.

Last edited by rebl; 08-14-2014 at 03:59 AM.
rebl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:18 AM   #2
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebl View Post
P.P.S - I'm already asuming there is no bulk undo function, but I thought it's better to be sure... before moving on.
Nope, bulk edits aren't undo-able. In the bulk Search & Replace you get a warning about it, but it goes for the other things too.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:27 AM   #3
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
There is no option to reverse the result once the job is finished.

The only way I know is using a backup for restoring the data.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:44 AM   #4
rebl
rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

All right, thank you all. Too early to backup...
So I'd better be more careful next time
Old 08-14-2014, 10:11 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
All right, thank you all. Too early to backup...
So I'd better be more careful next time
It is never too early for a backup

When bulk editing (replace), I usually do a 'Save', just before I fire off the bulk S&R.
I don't have enough digits to count the times I forgot to consider some other condition that resulted in a total hash of the previous work.

Save/backup takes a little extra time

Reconstruction take A LOT more time
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:36 AM   #6
rebl

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
It is never too early for a backup

When bulk editing (replace), I usually do a 'Save', just before I fire off the bulk S&R.
Thanks for the advice, theducks.
May I ask you what kind of Save do you mean? Save to disk? I'm rather not used to the backing up the library (mostly because it's still rather empty ).
Old 08-19-2014, 09:51 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
May I ask you what kind of Save do you mean? Save to disk? I'm rather not used to the backing up the library (mostly because it's still rather empty ).
If you are doing a Bulk Metadata Search and Replace edit, you need to save (backup) the FULL library because:

File/path names can get mangled (authors or titles)
The DB gets the changes almost instantly
AND
The individual metadata.opf start updating (IIRC ~3 per second. Status can be found on the Library icon menu) <<Once this happens, only recently Polished books will be with the good metadata recover and that requires a full add book import AND NOT allowing the use of (now bad) metadata opf (a simple 'Restore Database' is out of the question)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:18 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Best kind of backup is this one: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=244228
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote