Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-25-2013, 10:24 AM   #1
tkavan
Groupie
tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kindle Paperwhite
Factory reset issue

I've done a few factory resets recently to solve problems, and have found this quirk:

When my books are reloaded they are put on the proper shelves, but are not marked as finished, if they were finished, and the percent read is not correct. I've usually synced the Glo before doing the reset, so my account with Kobo should have up-to-date information.

Am I doing something wrong?
tkavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:00 PM   #2
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkavan View Post
I've done a few factory resets recently to solve problems, and have found this quirk:

When my books are reloaded they are put on the proper shelves, but are not marked as finished, if they were finished, and the percent read is not correct. I've usually synced the Glo before doing the reset, so my account with Kobo should have up-to-date information.

Am I doing something wrong?
You are not doing anything wrong - A factory reset deletes all content on your eReader. This means that it:

Deletes any books you've added to your eReader.
Deletes your bookmarks and annotations.
Deletes your account information.
Resets all your settings (for example, Reading Life and text settings).
Returns the eReader to its original settings.

So the settings for all your books are deleted ie marked as finished and % read.
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:15 PM   #3
tkavan
Groupie
tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willa View Post
You are not doing anything wrong - A factory reset deletes all content on your eReader. This means that it:

Deletes any books you've added to your eReader.
Deletes your bookmarks and annotations.
Deletes your account information.
Resets all your settings (for example, Reading Life and text settings).
Returns the eReader to its original settings.

So the settings for all your books are deleted ie marked as finished and % read.
But it does keep the shelves that I've set up, and puts the books in the correct shelves when I do a factory reset and have to download them all.
So since my Kobo account remembers this, why can't it also remember the other info about the books? (I realize this is a question for Kobo, not you, Willa. But do you know why this is?)
Thanks,
Tom
Old 02-25-2013, 05:53 PM   #4
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkavan View Post
But it does keep the shelves that I've set up, and puts the books in the correct shelves when I do a factory reset and have to download them all.
So since my Kobo account remembers this, why can't it also remember the other info about the books? (I realize this is a question for Kobo, not you, Willa. But do you know why this is?)
Thanks,
Tom
Tis strange - to keep the settings of the shelves but not the other settings. Perhaps someone with more technical know-how will jump in

A-ha! A lightbulb moment! Do you load your books through Calibre?
Old 02-25-2013, 06:07 PM   #5
tkavan
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willa View Post
Tis strange - to keep the settings of the shelves but not the other settings. Perhaps someone with more technical know-how will jump in

A-ha! A lightbulb moment! Do you load your books through Calibre?
No, by syncing either through Kobo Desktop or WiFi.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:18 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
@Willa: tkavan is talking about kepubs purchased from the Kobo shop. Information about these are kept on the server and synced between the device and the server. If you have multiple devices, or use the app on an Android or iOS device, this can also be synced.

As the reported problem, I have noticed something like this, but with respect to the multiple devices. Finishing a book on one device, syncing that device and then the other doesn't mark the book as finished on the second device. But, it will transfer the reading position between them.

I think this has changed with recent firmware, but I only had one device last year and didn't read many kepubs. I think it is restoring the last non-finished reading position that was saved, but I am not sure.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:30 PM   #7
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
@Willa: tkavan is talking about kepubs purchased from the Kobo shop. Information about these are kept on the server and synced between the device and the server. If you have multiple devices, or use the app on an Android or iOS device, this can also be synced.

As the reported problem, I have noticed something like this, but with respect to the multiple devices. Finishing a book on one device, syncing that device and then the other doesn't mark the book as finished on the second device. But, it will transfer the reading position between them.

I think this has changed with recent firmware, but I only had one device last year and didn't read many kepubs. I think it is restoring the last non-finished reading position that was saved, but I am not sure.
Ahhhhh - thankyou for the clarification Slinks off under cover of night

Last edited by Willa; 02-25-2013 at 10:06 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 02-26-2013, 11:12 AM   #8
tkavan
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post

Something like what you describe is happening.

Last night as a final check I went through all my books on the Glo, making sure their reading status was correct. Then I WiFi synced the Glo and everything was fine afterwards, with nothing changed.

An hour or so later I WiFi synced the Touch and when I checked it afterwards, it was not at all like the Glo. Most books marked Finished on the Glo were now shown at 1% read on the Touch. But some of them were shown at other percentages... maybe their original percentages on the Touch?

Then for no rational reason I synced the Glo again, first changing the Finished status of a couple of books so the file that tracks reading status would have a new time stamp and wouldn't get over-written. After the sync the Glo was still correct.

I don't know what's happening,but if there's a way to keep two devices in sync, I haven't yet been able to find it. Maybe it's time to go to Customer Care.

Oh yes... both devices are 2.4.0, and both are on the same Kobo user account.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:01 AM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I did a little testing. I appears that the finished state is not being synced to the second device.

What I did was to open a kepub in the Glio. When this happens it goes to the last page read on the Glo and then checks the server in case there was an updated on another device. If there was, it prompts whether to change to the new bookmark. Closing the book or putting the Glo to sleep updates the server with the current position.

Doing a sync on the Touch updates the reading status to the same place as on the Glo.

Finishing a book seems to update the server. But, a sync on the other device is setting the finished book to 1% read. Opening it goes to the first page of the book.

So, I am seeing what you are. What I don't remember is if this is different than for previous firmware.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:46 PM   #10
tkavan
Groupie

UPDATE: I've send a report to Customer Care and they've sent it to Tier 2.