Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-26-2008, 10:51 PM   #1
askyn
Addict
askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen)
Which ereaders support folders right now?!

Just wondering which of the ereaders support folders?

I know that in some "future" update the cybook g3 is suppose to support folders and the Astak is suppose to when its released ( maybe in Sept/Oct? )

But what ones currently support folders to organize your books right now?
askyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:02 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by askyn View Post
Just wondering which of the ereaders support folders?

But what ones currently support folders to organize your books right now?
The Jetbook is the only one I am aware of. However, it is not an eInk device nor does it support any of the current DRMed formats.

The Sony has "single" level organization called collections... but not full hierarchical folder support.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:04 PM   #3
maj0rglitch
maj0rglitch began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
On my Sony I use collections to organize my books, basically it is similar to folders. Using the reader application you create a folder/folders and you drag the books from the main reader folder to the folder you created. It is very similar to an iPod on how to create a playlist.
maj0rglitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:04 PM   #4
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
I believe that the Hanlin V3, also knows as the Bebook and the Illiad are the only e-ink readers that currently support folders.

Not having either of the devices, I can't comment on how good the experience is in using folder navigation. perhaps someone with one of those can comment on it.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:16 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
The Jetbook is the only one I am aware of. However, it is not an eInk device nor does it support any of the current DRMed formats.

The Sony has "single" level organization called collections... but not full hierarchical folder support.

BOb
I do not consider the Jetbook to be a real eBook reader. It's just a text file display device.

Sony's collections are not perfect, but it's better then nothing.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:20 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I do not consider the Jetbook to be a real eBook reader. It's just a text file display device.

Sony's collections are not perfect, but it's better then nothing.
I can't control your thoughts. However, by that logic isn't the Sony just a text file display device too. Html, txt, rtf, lrf are all basically text files. I had no problem reading the 3 books on the Jetbook when I was reviewing it. The plain text displayed fine.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 03:29 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
I believe that the Hanlin V3, also knows as the Bebook and the Illiad are the only e-ink readers that currently support folders.
No, the iLiad also does. The Gen3 has a very limited support for folders, in that you can put books in folders, and sort them by folder name, but you can't (currently) get a display OF those actual folders.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 04:41 AM   #8
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Quote:
No, the iLiad also does.

The BeBook indeed has (great) folder support. (of course the Hanlin v3, lBook, Walkbook et cetera do too)
AlfonsVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:55 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Reminder to self: Learn to read all of a post before replying .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 07:26 AM   #10
timezone
Addict
timezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Windows Phone7, Kindle Fire
I bought the iLiad because of the larger screen, note taking and because of the folders. I can create many levels of folders. I am able to organize my books to my satisfaction.

The iLiad also has its own level of organization. There are four metal buttons on the bottom named News, Books, Docs and Notes. You can use these buttons to also differentiate between different types of reading materials. You can put whatever you want in the major News folder for example.
timezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 07:27 AM   #11
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
I just wonder whhy is it taking so long for Bookeen to update their firmware and support folders. I mean, is it such a mind puzzling problem to program such thing?
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 02:31 PM   #12
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
I just wonder whhy is it taking so long for Bookeen to update their firmware and support folders. I mean, is it such a mind puzzling problem to program such thing?
It's probably the same problem that is prevelent in most small companies with a small development staff.

While not difficult to do, its probably not the main prioroty. Especially with the other bugs that have crept in such as the power management, PDF support broken, incomplete HTML support etc.

We have to admit that folder support is most important for the small number of us who want to kee a few hundred / thousand books on our devices. If the no of books is less then a hundred or two, its not so important.

What I would personally like is support for zip archives. that would probablysolve most of my problems, even if folder support takes a while.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:46 PM   #13
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
It's probably the same problem that is prevelent in most small companies with a small development staff.

While not difficult to do, its probably not the main prioroty. Especially with the other bugs that have crept in such as the power management, PDF support broken, incomplete HTML support etc.
But these kind of problems should not have crept in. You do not get the impression that the developers are especially competent and I really wonder if they use bug track system and automatic regression testing and similar standard tools.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 04:45 PM   #14
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
But these kind of problems should not have crept in. You do not get the impression that the developers are especially competent and I really wonder if they use bug track system and automatic regression testing and similar standard tools.
Not being a developer, I can't really comment on that.

However, what does strike me is that currently most companies providing software are usually more interested in providing new features, then in getting a completely bug free product out of the door. Also, what appears to have happened often is that they would roll out a software feature without doing too much testing, and would run into problems.

Also if I understand correctly, the basic OS is actually supplied by the manufacturer (If I understood the discussion on why Bookeen was not releasing the source code correctly) and as such, they may not have a complete idea of how some of the stuff interacts, especially after the hardware refresh.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:39 AM   #15
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
They shouldn't with good regression testing but oftentimes regression and long-term stress testing get little attention when the deadlines are aggressive. I have no idea how much automation they have but even with great automation, it's only as good as the set of testcases you've written. You usually can't test absolutely every scenario so you focus on the ones you think are the most likely. Sometimes the testcases just aren't very thorough. Sometimes they are and you get a surprise spill anyway.

You can also have competent bug tracking and still end up with issues. I've never seen a QA department that didn't have a bug tracking database. No reason not too when Bugzilla is free. That doesn't mean that products aren't released with known bugs. In fact, I've never seen a product go out the door without known bugs. You weigh the estimated impact of the bug against the consequences of slipping your release date. Oftentimes the people making this decision are more customer-facing and less technical. They don't always fully understand the impact of a given bug. IME, they tend to be an overly optimistic bunch. They're often the ones responsible for setting the release dates, too.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote