Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-26-2013, 05:24 AM   #1
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Uneven Text on Paperwhite

I've noticed that whenever I have to use the dictionary or click something on the menu (like adjusting screen brightness), the text becomes uneven (some parts darker, some parts lighter) when I return to my book.

To demonstrate, here's a picture of my screen with the brightness adjustment menu over the text of my book:

When I exit the screen adjustment menu, notice how the text enclosed in the red box is bolder than the text outside it -- coincidentally the part where the brightness adjustment menu used to be.

Same image, without the red box:

And after refreshing the page (turning one page back, then forward again), everything is even again:

This is just a minor annoyance and quickly resolved with a screen refresh, but I just wonder if this is normal with all PW's? I have screen refresh set to "on" by the way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.JPG
Views:	268
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	100075   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4.JPG
Views:	283
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	100076   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 5.JPG
Views:	272
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	100077   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 6.JPG
Views:	279
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	100078  
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:38 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's caused by the fact that there's no full screen refresh after the dictionary definition disappears. It's entirely normal.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:51 AM   #3
Snorkledorf
Blue. Not sad...just blue
Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ridibooks Paper Pro
Yeah mine does that too.
Snorkledorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:30 AM   #4
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
When I notice that, I just go back a page and forward one to get a fresh page (my refresh is on every page). Just wish there was an option to full refresh after closing menu.

Update: Just noticed on 5.3.3 it does full refresh after dictionary or menu or after opening menu, even if page refresh is turned off. Maybe updating might help?

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 01-26-2013 at 08:40 AM.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:59 AM   #5
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
This is perfectly normal e-ink stuff. I saw exactly the same thing on my K4 at times (generally when using the web browser, since the K4 makes less use of overlays in its reading application).

The full refresh on closing the menu is also old stuff, there since at least the K3.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:22 AM   #6
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
When I notice that, I just go back a page and forward one to get a fresh page (my refresh is on every page). Just wish there was an option to full refresh after closing menu.

Update: Just noticed on 5.3.3 it does full refresh after dictionary or menu or after opening menu, even if page refresh is turned off. Maybe updating might help?
I'm already on 5.3.3 but it still doesn't refresh after dictionary/menu.

Thanks, everyone. Like I said, it's just a minor annoyance. Glad to hear it's normal though
Old 01-26-2013, 03:44 PM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I don't have this problem but I do have my PW set to refresh every page.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:14 PM   #8
xtine
Addict

Thanks, Blossom. I just thought it was weird since I had a Touch before this and I never noticed it before.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:44 PM   #9
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
There is a similar discussion about this issue at Amazon board

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle?_...Tx937PQMPBDFRB
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:03 PM   #10
BakaTensai
BakaTensai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BakaTensai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BakaTensai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BakaTensai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BakaTensai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BakaTensai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BakaTensai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BakaTensai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BakaTensai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BakaTensai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BakaTensai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Same issue here. It is not too bad IMO, but I do seem to have issues with the screen in some other ways. For example, the thinner fonts (Baskerville, Palantino) don't display well. They look very washed out and faint.
BakaTensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:32 PM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakaTensai View Post
Same issue here. It is not too bad IMO, but I do seem to have issues with the screen in some other ways. For example, the thinner fonts (Baskerville, Palantino) don't display well. They look very washed out and faint.
That's because they need more weight. I agree they render really bad on the Kindle.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:49 AM   #12
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
That's because they need more weight. I agree they render really bad on the Kindle.
I think that is a matter of taste. Render wise they all look good. I have switched back to Caecilia Condensed for a while and don't miss the heavier weight of the fonts I tried before. Even at night it is still easy to read. For me that is, for you it might not work. Choice is good - sometimes I will go to a san-serif font for a while.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:56 AM   #13
xtine
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Caesar View Post
There is a similar discussion about this issue at Amazon board

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle?_...Tx937PQMPBDFRB
Thank you, I'll go check it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
I think that is a matter of taste. Render wise they all look good. I have switched back to Caecilia Condensed for a while and don't miss the heavier weight of the fonts I tried before. Even at night it is still easy to read. For me that is, for you it might not work. Choice is good - sometimes I will go to a san-serif font for a while.
I agree. Palatino is still my font of choice despite the other fonts made available to me because of USE_ALT_FONTS. It might be just me but Palatino makes my Kindle seem more like a real book
Old 01-29-2013, 12:19 AM   #14
JLeighs
Addict
JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtine View Post

I agree. Palatino is still my font of choice despite the other fonts made available to me because of USE_ALT_FONTS. It might be just me but Palatino makes my Kindle seem more like a real book
I use the Palatino as well. Right away I was drawn to it. It is a bit light, but I find that I'm very comfortable reading with it. I was going to do the USE_ALT_FONTS (and I may do it down the road), but I know what would end up happening. I'd try to load 3,000 fonts and then I'd spend the next 2 years figuring out which one I like best. Then I'd eventually become overwhelmed with the strain of being undecided and having too many options, and I'd go back to Palatino.
JLeighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:44 AM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeighs View Post
I use the Palatino as well. Right away I was drawn to it. It is a bit light, but I find that I'm very comfortable reading with it. I was going to do the USE_ALT_FONTS (and I may do it down the road), but I know what would end up happening. I'd try to load 3,000 fonts and then I'd spend the next 2 years figuring out which one I like best. Then I'd eventually become overwhelmed with the strain of being undecided and having too many options, and I'd go back to Palatino.
I think it depends on the contrast of your Kindle. If you got a PW like mine you barely see the Palatino and Baskerville let alone read with it. Condensed Caecilia and Amasis are the fonts I always fall back on.