Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-24-2010, 12:51 PM   #1
Snik
Snik began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo ereader
Gift eReader with gift ebook preloaded

I've purchase a Kobo eReader for my father as a gift. I'd like to purchase an ebook for him as well, and load the book onto the eReader before giving it to him. Is this possible? Do I need to create an account for him and load it from that account?

I know nothing.
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:59 PM   #2
fred_yu_job
Connoisseur
fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: kobo
There are 100 classic books already in it (listed here), your dad will love them.
Yes, you need to create an acount to purchase books from Chapter or kobobooks websites, and sync it into your Kobo using the Kobo's desktop application;
also, you can download books (in *.epub format) from the internet, and add the books with the 3rd party application "Calibre - E-book Management".

Last edited by fred_yu_job; 12-24-2010 at 01:03 PM.
fred_yu_job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:04 PM   #3
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Be sure to create his account, not your own as there are problems when books from two accounts try to exist on the same machine. A Gift Card might also be a nice option.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 03:11 PM   #4
Snik

Thanks for the quick replies. The 100 free ebooks already loaded is one of the things I like about Kobo. I just know he's more likely to give it a real try if one of his favorite author's current books is loaded as well.

At what point does the eReader get "tied" to an account? Do you have to explicitly associate it, or does it happen the first time you load something from the account?

If I do hook it up to an account I create for him, and he doesn't like the ebook concept, I might just want to keep it myself. Can the eReader be disassociated with one account and hooked up to another?

Thanks again for the help! (and the patience)
Old 12-24-2010, 03:31 PM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
The reader and the account hook up as soon as you sync them--load from that account. You can reset to the factory default and start over, if he doesn't like the concept and you want to keep the reader. The book bought with his account would be kinda sorta lost. I say that because you could strip the drm, and load it onto the reader that had become your own, but it might not be a first day with the reader kind of thing for many folks.

Maybe your best bet would be to let him decide if he likes the concept with the 100 free books, and set up an account only after he has decided.

Last edited by taming; 12-24-2010 at 03:35 PM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 06:39 PM   #6
Snik

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post

Maybe your best bet would be to let him decide if he likes the concept with the 100 free books, and set up an account only after he has decided.
It sounds like that may be that way to go. Thanks everyone for your help.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:03 PM   #7
MDK
Kobo Developer
MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura, Glo, Mini
You can send him a book as a gift via the Kobo website. Just send it to his email address and he can claim it on an account he already has (or create a new one if he doesn't).
MDK is offline   Reply With Quote