Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 07-18-2010, 02:48 AM   #46
rollercoaster
Zealot
rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nandocuci View Post
I need to download all starred feeds (read and unread), not only the last 20 entries.
Is it possible?
Try checking "Keep Unread" for all the items and then run the recipe to download them. I it will download in addition to all the other unread. You can try to mark the rest as read from google reader if you only want the starred ones.
rollercoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:45 AM   #47
Dereks
Connoisseur
Dereks began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1
Great work guys! I am using slightly modified google recipe (downloading only starred items). Just replaced the authentication key - worked as a charm. Thanks for your work!
Dereks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:42 AM   #48
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dereks View Post
Great work guys! I am using slightly modified google recipe (downloading only starred items). Just replaced the authentication key - worked as a charm. Thanks for your work!
I'm glad it works for you.

BTW - @ rollercoaster. I've given a bit more thought to how a recipe might mark articles as read. I may come back to that as an interesting recipe puzzle at some point. I still can't think of a way for the recipe to verify successful EPUB creation, but marking articles read after download seems possible.

Last edited by Starson17; 07-23-2010 at 09:47 AM.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:32 AM   #49
rollercoaster
Zealot
rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
BTW - @ rollercoaster. I've given a bit more thought to how a recipe might mark articles as read. I may come back to that as an interesting recipe puzzle at some point. I still can't think of a way for the recipe to verify successful EPUB creation, but marking articles read after download seems possible.
I would be rather uncomfortable with marking items read before a successful book was generated. Isnt it possible to start code in a thread or a process that will wait for the book file to appear or some other hack? I dont know much about the book creation system but do you think it is acceptable risk to mark as read before the book file is saved?

Thanks again for your time. Much appreciated.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:53 AM   #50
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollercoaster View Post
I would be rather uncomfortable with marking items read before a successful book was generated.
Then I won't do it. Kovid posted that a recipe could do almost anything, so I began to rethink my earlier comments and realized there might be a way to have the recipe mark items read. It would require a more sophisticated recipe than I had ever written.

Quote:
Isnt it possible to start code in a thread or a process that will wait for the book file to appear or some other hack?
Possibly, but it would require much more fundamental coding than even the "mark it read" recipe code. At this point, we're not writing a recipe - we're fundamentally modifying the way Calibre's recipe system operates. Too much pain (for me) for too little gain.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:27 AM   #51
rollercoaster
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikaris
Hi rollercoaster and Starson17,

First of all, great work on the Google Reader recipe for Calibre. A lot of people appreciate it!

I am currently using Calibre and your recipe to transfer Google Reader articles to my Kindle, but the file that is transferred only contains the first paragraph of the articles, not the whole thing.

What I want to be able to do is flag articles that I want to read on my Kindle, and have Calibre create an ebook with the full text of the articles that I select, not just the first paragraph.

Is that possible?

Thanks!
It should be downloading the whole article. Make sure you can actually see the full article in google reader. Also, some blogs dont provide full articles in their feeds so that users visit the original site to read the full article.

As for flagged articles, use the the starred feature and those items will be downloaded. See the first post of this thread and https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68980

Last edited by rollercoaster; 09-21-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:34 PM   #52
saptak
saptak began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
I just need starred items

Hi,

This was exactly what I was looking for, except I just need the starred items since i have a very large feed.

Is their an easy way to do that?

Thank you,

Saptak
saptak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:13 PM   #53
saptak
saptak began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dereks View Post
I request you to post the change you made. I have the same requirement.
saptak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:18 AM   #54
Moik
Member Retired
Moik began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Hi!
First of all: Thanks for the great work you did so far.
Regarding this:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikaris
Hi rollercoaster and Starson17,

First of all, great work on the Google Reader recipe for Calibre. A lot of people appreciate it!

I am currently using Calibre and your recipe to transfer Google Reader articles to my Kindle, but the file that is transferred only contains the first paragraph of the articles, not the whole thing.

What I want to be able to do is flag articles that I want to read on my Kindle, and have Calibre create an ebook with the full text of the articles that I select, not just the first paragraph.

Is that possible?

Thanks!
It should be downloading the whole article. Make sure you can actually see the full article in google reader. Also, some blogs dont provide full articles in their feeds so that users visit the original site to read the full article.
I have got the same problem, but the original article is not showing up in google as well. Isn't there a possibility to make the recipe "click" the link in google, chose the print version and download this.
I am sorry if this sounds stupid. My programming abilities are confined to minimal C++ and it sounds so easy if you could just talk to the computer (yet I know it's hard programming work)...

Second thing:
I would also find it great if the articles would be marked as read once they are downloaded! Have you already seen this thread? This app seems to be able to mark articles as read! Maybe you can get in touch with the author!?
Moik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:30 AM   #55
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moik View Post
I have got the same problem, but the original article is not showing up in google as well.
If the full article is not showing in Google reader then you can't expect this article to be any different when using the Google Reader recipe to download it.

Quote:
Isn't there a possibility to make the recipe "click" the link in google, chose the print version and download this.
No, not with this recipe. You need to go to the Calibre Recipes sub-thread and ask about creating a separate recipe for that specific site and not use Google Reader recipe for that site.

Quote:
I would also find it great if the articles would be marked as read once they are downloaded! Have you already seen this thread? This app seems to be able to mark articles as read! Maybe you can get in touch with the author!?
The thread you linked to is not using a recipe, it is using the web to display a modded live rss feed.

The original Author doesn't seem to be around and even if he was marking articles as read might not be able to be accomplished. Until then you have to take a couple of seconds and manually mark all as read after running the recipe.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 10-14-2010 at 01:36 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:40 AM   #56
Moik
Member Retired
Moik began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Wow, awesome, thanks for the quick reply!

Quote:
No, not with this recipe. You need to go to the Calibre Recipes sub-thread and ask about creating a separate recipe for that specific site and not use Google Reader recipe for that site.
The thing about this is the following:
My favourite newspaper doesn't supply one overall RSS feed but several ones. What makes it even worse is that there are usually only 15 or so entries in each feed. This is the basic reason why I started using google reader this morning: I want it to collect the news out of several feeds over 24 hours and let calibre create my personalized paper in the morning.
Are you saying this is not possible? I have been searching for a solution all day and this was my biggest hope so far...

Edit: maybe by integrating the Cailbre Recipe into the google reader part!?
Moik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:52 AM   #57
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
My favourite newspaper doesn't supply one overall RSS feed but several ones. What makes it even worse is that there are usually only 15 or so entries in each feed.
I have created a couple of recipes that have had multiple rss feeds. If you look at the attached image, that recipe uses 8 rss feeds from the same paper to create one book for the newspaper.

You need to ask these questions in the Calibre recipes forum.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	newsandobserver.JPG
Views:	267
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	59784  
Old 01-01-2011, 02:05 AM   #58
flyash
Groupie
flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Is the Google Reader recipe capped at 200 articles? I've tried a couple of different sets of articles, both sets exceeded 200 articles, but both times Calibre pulled only the first 200 into an e-book. And I set the max_articles_per_feed = 999, so that wasn't the issue.
flyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 04:32 AM   #59
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyash View Post
Is the Google Reader recipe capped at 200 articles? I've tried a couple of different sets of articles, both sets exceeded 200 articles, but both times Calibre pulled only the first 200 into an e-book. And I set the max_articles_per_feed = 999, so that wasn't the issue.
Any article limit I've run into is due to the rss feed or the aggregator. I've seen many feeds that only allow the last 10 articles. Feeds like that are why I use Google reader. Google reader can't go back beyond the 10 articles for those feeds but it will collect all articles from now on. So if I grab Google reader once a week I could have 50 plus even though the feed would only provide the last ten.

Google reader might have a limit but once altered the recipe is not limited.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:18 AM   #60
flyash
Groupie
flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Any article limit I've run into is due to the rss feed or the aggregator. I've seen many feeds that only allow the last 10 articles. Feeds like that are why I use Google reader. Google reader can't go back beyond the 10 articles for those feeds but it will collect all articles from now on. So if I grab Google reader once a week I could have 50 plus even though the feed would only provide the last ten.

Google reader might have a limit but once altered the recipe is not limited.
The feed in question only returns 10 articles (when used in its own custom recipe), but g-reader (the web app, not the g-reader custom recipe) is able to go back and fetch older articles, even going back a few years. This is true even if I add this feed as a new subscription to a new google account. So that behavior is quite different from what you describe, assuming I understood you correctly.

So for example, I might have 1000 articles in g-reader, going back 3 years. If I star all those articles, and attempt to retrieve them using the g-reader custom recipe, only the first 200 are getting fetched. So the limit looks like it is in the recipe, not g-reader itself.
flyash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
google reader, google reader uber, hack, recpie