Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-22-2011, 08:09 AM   #271
Roscopcoletrain
Roscopcoletrain began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthpigborn View Post
^^ No need to sell me on the NC I'd grab it in a heartbeat if I needed a tablet but I'm looking for an E-Ink device. I was just wondering if the nook classic is worth the hassle of buying from barnes and noble from outside the US.
Depends on how you mean worth it? I had my folks pick me up one on their last trip down. Simple enough. Its the Best (imo) e-reader based on supported formats and such. So it was worth the "hassle" for me. I cant say if it will be worth the hassle for you.
Roscopcoletrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:36 PM   #272
earthpigborn
Enthusiast
earthpigborn began at the beginning.

Device: FBReader on Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscopcoletrain View Post
Depends on how you mean worth it? I had my folks pick me up one on their last trip down. Simple enough. Its the Best (imo) e-reader based on supported formats and such. So it was worth the "hassle" for me. I cant say if it will be worth the hassle for you.
I know the amount of "hassle" I'm gonna go through- what I need to know is what I'm losing if I'm gonna be using it outside the US.(library, in-store freebies, firmware upgrades?) - basically I'm not asking how much trouble it is to get it here- I'm asking what kind of device would I get if it's "divorced" from Barnes & Noble.
earthpigborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2011, 10:38 AM   #273
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Quote:
I know the amount of "hassle" I'm gonna go through- what I need to know is what I'm losing if I'm gonna be using it outside the US.(library, in-store freebies, firmware upgrades?) - basically I'm not asking how much trouble it is to get it here- I'm asking what kind of device would I get if it's "divorced" from Barnes & Noble.
As long as you have your address in your profile set as a US one for shipping and billing you will be fine. You might need to hide your IP address, but I am in Canada and I haven;t had to do that yet.

I can still buy books from B&N, get freebies via wifi (not in store stuff as you have to be near a B&N), and do anything in Canada I could do while in the US with my wifi Nook.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:01 AM   #274
Arcanite
Arcanite began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Ah, you were after classic Nook, sorry, my bad. But the previous poster pretty much summed up the cons, and there isn't too many of those.

It seems I'm becoming tempted to buy classic Nook in addition of the NC..
Arcanite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:36 AM   #275
ould
Zealot
ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
I have had a Nook Classic in Canada(I bought it before the wifi came out) for around a year and have had no issues with it at all. It is rooted though with the latest firmware update I find I don't use the rooted apps as much as there is some new sorting methods I prefer in the B&N native library. I have bought books from both B&N and other stores offering Epub with little to no issues. I have converted other formats using Calibre to use on the Nook also with little to no issues. All in all I would highly recommend the Nook, the only thing I find is the battery doesn't last as long as on other e-ink devices I have had and I suspect maybe the 3G chip is causing that as I always have it in "airplane" mode so I know WiFi is off, my ancient Sony used to last well over a week and the Nook probably around 5 days or so before it bugs me.

Also I just picked up a Nook Color to add to my collection, eagerly awaiting it's arrival. The Nook Classic may be up for sale depending on how much I like the color's LCD screen, I read often on my commute and in the winter months it is dark both going to and coming from work and sometimes the little overhead lights on the bus don't function and it annoys me that I need a separate light. I know, not much of an excuse to buy a color but that's my story and I am sticking to it. Really I just wanted a "cheap" tablet to play with, the reading is a bonus, haha.

Kevin
ould is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2011, 10:53 PM   #276
elvee
elvee began at the beginning.

Device: bebook, bebook mini, sony Prs 600, Sony Prs650 Kobo Touch, Kindle Tou
Smile Solution for Nook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy_dunlop View Post
It looks like the big disappointment coming out of the Nook launch is no international release or support. Since I think the Nook most closely matches the ebook reader I've been looking for but I don't live in the US, anybody care to discuss options?

1. Just order one anyway but lose out on discounted ebooks from B&N
2. Order one and find a way to circumvent region restrictions
3. Order one and use other companies stores, particularly Google Digital Editions looks promising
4. Lobby B&N to start selling internationally, ipetitions.com here I come

Any other ideas?

P.S. Doesn't it seem like a particular letdown that one day after the Kindle International Edition was launched they decided not to release Nook internationally?

[To Admin: I know this shouldn't go in news, but doesn't seem to be a Nook forum yet]

I have stumbled onto a website that claims that they will send the Nook to any country. The price is in US dollars. Here it is.
Shop e-Readers.com
Regards
elvee
elvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:40 PM   #277
ryusoma
ryusoma began at the beginning.

Device: NOOKcolor
Hi all-

like Care and ould, I have a nookcolor in Canada. I've ordered and delivered it through a US shipping address, and have also ordered ebooks as well without issue. My Visa with a Canadian bank has a Canadian billing address, but I've assigned a US SHIPPING ADDRESS to my card through my bank. As long as B&N have that verified shipping address in your account, I think that seems to satisfy their requirements. Any bank should allow you to attach a verified alternate shipping address to a credit card account- I have two in the US, one in the UK and one in Japan even. There are plenty of Mailboxes Etc.-type locations around the world who offer package receiving and forwarding services for a monthly rate or per-package fee. Google is your friend.

Yes, it will cost you a few dollars more upfront for the additional transshipping and GST/PST/HST/VAT to your country, but the savings on 'consumables' vs. other stores especially on periodicals and the additional capabilities of a 'nooted' nc are well worth it.

The other option of course is to buy in person at a B&N store in the US, but then purchasing ebooks and magazines down the road you will still encounter the same rights/licensing issue, even with a nooted device. If you are encountering an issue being restricted from downloads - again, Google is your friend. Cheap and/or free IP proxies have been available for years and are very popular for accessing other US or UK-only services such as Netflix, Hulu, ComedyCentral or the BBC's streaming services. Mine has been rooted after registration to allow access to the Android Market, and of course one of the first apps I downloaded was the Amazon Kindle reader for Androids..

Last edited by ryusoma; 04-07-2011 at 01:52 PM.
ryusoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:47 AM   #278
fekish
fekish began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Nook Color
Did anyone use this site: http://www.nybox.com/

I am thinking ordering a nook, sending it there, and they will send it to my country...

Thanks!
fekish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:41 PM   #279
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by fekish View Post
Did anyone use this site: http://www.nybox.com/

I am thinking ordering a nook, sending it there, and they will send it to my country...

Thanks!
I have never heard of this site.
Well known sites for us mail forwarding are:
www.borderlinx.com (I use this one)
www.usunlocked.com
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:25 AM   #280
ig33ku
ig33ku began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Touch
Hi,

I just want to ask a few question so that I am very sure on what I am doing, since I have tried this and my sister locked her credit card to a malaysian billing address for the Nook Library.

I am intending to on getting a Nook Touch but before that my sister wants to get several ebooks to read on her laptop using the Nook App and later on the Nook Touch. She registered her account and tried to purchase a book with her cc but used the cc Malaysian billing address.

I still have my cc so I will reattempt the process again with a new account. I would like to know the precise procedure for getting this to work and for future syncing with the Nook Touch and other devices with the Nook App.

As far as I can tell I should:

1. Register my B&N account with a US IP.
2. Pay with any CC as long as I use a US address as the billing address (B&N does not check the CC real billing address no matter which country the cc is from).
3. Sync/update the my Library to see the bought ebook but US IP is needed to do this.
4. Register my Nook Touch with a US IP.
5. Update the Touch Library but US IP is not needed to do this.
6. Make sure all ebook purchases is done with US IP.

Am I correct?
ig33ku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:53 PM   #281
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ig33ku View Post
1. Register my B&N account with a US IP.
2. Pay with any CC as long as I use a US address as the billing address (B&N does not check the CC real billing address no matter which country the cc is from).
3. Sync/update the my Library to see the bought ebook but US IP is needed to do this.
4. Register my Nook Touch with a US IP.
5. Update the Touch Library but US IP is not needed to do this.
6. Make sure all ebook purchases is done with US IP.

Am I correct?
You only need a US IP-address when buying books (because the publishers do not allow B&N to sell their books outside the US). When the books are bought they can be downloaded anywhere in the world.
You can also register and sync your library anywhere in the world.
So you only need a US IP-address for 6 (buying books).
Old 06-16-2011, 02:06 PM   #282
fashion_m
fashion_m began at the beginning.

Device: none
I am from EU and I want Nook Simple Touch reader. Where to buy it from?
fashion_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:51 PM   #283
geertm
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashion_m View Post
I am from EU and I want Nook Simple Touch reader. Where to buy it from?
You can buy one from B&N.
Get a US mail forwarding address from Borderlinx or USunlocked.
Register you B&N account using that address as shipping and billing address, and with your own credit card. The billing address is not checked with your credit card company, so this will work fine.
Install a VPN on your PC like Hotspot Shield (free) or alwaysVPN ($8.50).

Start the VPN, than buy your Nook from B&N.
It is a good idea to also buy a cover, because e-ink screens are very fragile.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:26 PM   #284
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
You can buy one from B&N.
Get a US mail forwarding address from Borderlinx or USunlocked.
Register you B&N account using that address as shipping and billing address, and with your own credit card. The billing address is not checked with your credit card company, so this will work fine.
Install a VPN on your PC like Hotspot Shield (free) or alwaysVPN ($8.50).

Start the VPN, than buy your Nook from B&N.
It is a good idea to also buy a cover, because e-ink screens are very fragile.
That will work fine as long as you don't mind not having a warranty. B&N won't offer support for readers that are sold internationally.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:37 PM   #285
lucasdt
lucasdt began at the beginning.

Device: nook
My father is going on holidays to US and I was thinking of asking him to bring me back (Argentina) the new Nook touch (buying it from a B&N store).
I don't care about warranty and for what I understand, I could buy ebooks from B&N through a VPN or something that hides my IP and pay it with my local credit card. Even if I couldn't do that, there are plenty of sources for epub books so I can copy them to the SD card and get the Nook to read them from there (I thinks it's called side-loading).
My question is, can I register the Nook at all from Argentina? I read on this forum that you'd need to get an IP address and a fisical US address... how can I get that?
I mean, even if I could get behind a proxy or something to get a US IP, where do I get the shipping/billing address? I know it sounds dumb, but honestly I got no idea.
I read someone suggested usunlock, but that's for buying and shipping, I just would need to register it.
Any clues?
Thanks in advanced

EDIT: Or should I get a Kobo Touch instead? Is it somehow good as the Nook?

Last edited by lucasdt; 06-17-2011 at 03:20 PM.
lucasdt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
b&n, barnes and noble, international, nook, overseas