Notices

Old 11-11-2008, 04:41 PM   #1
ewiplayer
Enthusiast
ewiplayer has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-700
How to create PDF without DRM?

Hi folks,

I've got Acrobat 9 and I'm trying to experiment with a CHM -> HTML -> PDF -> LRF conversion, but I'm hitting a problem... The PDF I create is flagged as having DRM by Calibre. (Before you ask, yes I have tried CHM -> HTML -> LRF but it's not formatting quite right and I'd like to see what pdf2lrf does).

I can't figure out for the life of me how to get Acrobat 9 to save without putting anything in that makes Calibre choke. Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks,
EWIPlayer
ewiplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 04:50 PM   #2
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Well, I am not sure what Acrobat is doing to your files, but I would suspect that if the html doesn't format it quite right, then the PDF isn't going to either, not unless it overrides the stylesheet that is used in the html file.

That being said, I recently downloaded princexml (just search on princexml) and I found it works rather well at converting html files into PDF's sized for the screen size of my reader. The biggest issue I had was that I had to set maximum height for the images so that the images would not over fill the page.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2008, 04:55 PM   #3
ewiplayer
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
Well, I am not sure what Acrobat is doing to your files, but I would suspect that if the html doesn't format it quite right, then the PDF isn't going to either, not unless it overrides the stylesheet that is used in the html file.

That being said, I recently downloaded princexml (just search on princexml) and I found it works rather well at converting html files into PDF's sized for the screen size of my reader. The biggest issue I had was that I had to set maximum height for the images so that the images would not over fill the page.

--
Bill
Yeah you might be right about the formatting... I just wanted to experiment (my PRS 700 won't be here for 2 weeks). I'll have a look for princexml and see what it can do.

Incidentally, the properties on the PDF as created by Acrobat have "no security" and everything is allowed (looking at the file properties). But calibre still thinks there's DRM there... painful.

Thanks
Old 11-11-2008, 05:34 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Convert to EPUB instead, you'll get much closer fidelity to the original
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 05:44 PM   #5
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewiplayer View Post
Hi folks,

I've got Acrobat 9 and I'm trying to experiment with a CHM -> HTML -> PDF
I can't figure out for the life of me how to get Acrobat 9 to save without putting anything in that makes Calibre choke. Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks,
EWIPlayer
If you have the ability to make a PDF stop there. Create the PDF with dimensions 120mm x 90mm and with 10mm border max (I'd go with 3mm).

There is no need to create an LRF. Your 700 will view PDF just fine, when PDF are created for the Readers they look fantastic.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2008, 05:58 PM   #6
ewiplayer
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
If you have the ability to make a PDF stop there. Create the PDF with dimensions 120mm x 90mm and with 10mm border max (I'd go with 3mm).

There is no need to create an LRF. Your 700 will view PDF just fine, when PDF are created for the Readers they look fantastic.

=X=
Ah cool. Thx. I noted that the LRF format appears to flip faster than PDF so I was going for the LRF conversion.

But I did find an answer: In OS X's 'preview' app I can simply save as PDF and that can then be parsed by pdf2lrf. Go figure
Old 11-11-2008, 06:00 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Hi folks,

I've got Acrobat 9 and I'm trying to experiment with a CHM -> HTML -> PDF -> LRF conversion, but I'm hitting a problem... The PDF I create is flagged as having DRM by Calibre. (Before you ask, yes I have tried CHM -> HTML -> LRF but it's not formatting quite right and I'd like to see what pdf2lrf does).

Thanks,
EWIPlayer
Why not CHM -> HTML -> LRF using html2lrf?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:12 PM   #8
ewiplayer
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why not CHM -> HTML -> LRF using html2lrf?
I already covered that one in my original post... doesn't format well.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:26 PM   #9
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Ah cool. Thx. I noted that the LRF format appears to flip faster than PDF so I was going for the LRF conversion.
Totally understand. It's a trade off speed vs Format.

Quote:
But I did find an answer: In OS X's 'preview' app I can simply save as PDF and that can then be parsed by pdf2lrf. Go figure
Note here that PDFLRF converts the PDF to an image so you will be blowing up the file size of the PDF. But this is also a good option

I'd recommend creating an PDF and an LRF and see what you like the best.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:38 PM   #10
ewiplayer
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Convert to EPUB instead, you'll get much closer fidelity to the original
Actually, epub is better, but they're both pretty bad. The document in question has a lot of diagrams, tables and sections of code. PDF is the only thing that looks remotely good... so even if it means a slower response time on the doc, I'll probably stick with PDF.

Thanks for the tips. This has been a good experiment!
Old 11-11-2008, 06:39 PM   #11
ewiplayer
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Totally understand. It's a trade off speed vs Format.

Note here that PDFLRF converts the PDF to an image so you will be blowing up the file size of the PDF. But this is also a good option

I'd recommend creating an PDF and an LRF and see what you like the best.

=X=
Yup... it looks like the tradeoff is going to be to trade speed for presentation. LRF and EPUB are far from the quality of the PDF.

Thx!