Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 06-05-2017, 04:17 AM   #1
MrErdo
MrErdo began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook
PocketBook Inkpad2 versus PocketBook HD touch

Couple of days ago I cracked my screen of my Lux 3. Now I'm looking for a new one. I'm thinking about the Inkpad2 or HD touch.

The Inkpad2 is from 2016 and the HD touch from 2017. From what I can gather they both have the same processor and speed?

I like the size of the Inkpad2. It would be great for PDF's but I heard the backlighting had some uneven saturation? Or is this already fixed with the version 2?

HD touch has text to speech which is nice but I like the bigger screen more. What do you guys think I should do? In my country the touch HD is 150 euro and the Inkpad2 180 euro. So the price difference isn't big.
MrErdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 10:03 AM   #2
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
Where would you use the device? Only at home or also outside in the bus or on the train? Do you need portability or a bigger screen?
I own a Touch HD and am happy with it, it has a very good screen. TTS is also nice to have, I sometimes use it when I can't sleep at night and I don't want to have a light shining.
The Inkpad 2 has only a Pearl screen and the lighting is not as even.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2017, 04:55 AM   #3
MrErdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyOne View Post
Where would you use the device? Only at home or also outside in the bus or on the train? Do you need portability or a bigger screen?
I own a Touch HD and am happy with it, it has a very good screen. TTS is also nice to have, I sometimes use it when I can't sleep at night and I don't want to have a light shining.
The Inkpad 2 has only a Pearl screen and the lighting is not as even.
What is TTS? Are the screens of both devices the same in terms of quality? I'm going to use the ereader at home to read epubs en pdfs.

I actually wanted to wait for the new generation with Canton screens (whiter screens) but I could be waiting ages since the Touch HD got released recently.

I was thinking about Inkpad2 since the screen is bigger and the price difference between that one and the Touch HD is only 30 euro here.

The only thing that is withholding me from buying the Inkpad2 are the stories about the bad screen quality and poor back lightening.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:56 PM   #4
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
Text to speech.
You basically said it yourself. The Inkpad Pearl screen is not as good as the Carta screen of the Touch HD.
Do you have the chance to order the devices and try them out?
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 02:55 PM   #5
MrErdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyOne View Post
Text to speech.
You basically said it yourself. The Inkpad Pearl screen is not as good as the Carta screen of the Touch HD.
Do you have the chance to order the devices and try them out?
Text to speech isn't important for me. So it comes down to the screen. Is it much better?
Advert
Old 06-08-2017, 07:39 PM   #6
MrErdo

I ordered the Inkpad2. If I don't like it I hope i can give it back to the shop?
Old 06-14-2017, 04:49 PM   #7
jackm8
Zealot
jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: none
6' to 8' is huge difference in my mind. It unlocks comfortable pdf reading, and brings another dimension to the table. I don't see myself ever going back to old dimension as primary reader. Pocketbook will need to step up their game, though. Kobo Aura One on every side appears to be better option, as are android readers of similair size. They need to further refine software, improve backlight, and look into screens with higher contrast.
jackm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 05:38 AM   #8
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
They both have text-to-speech and audio app in the exact same format.

The reading apps have subtle differences. For example, the flowing-text-file (non-pdf) viewer on Touch HD is able to format HTML files better, such as display headings in bold as real headings. Inkpad 2 displays all text in HTML files the same, as if there were no HTML formatting. This only concerning HTML files. I have seen no differences in epub files.

Most crucially, Touch HD has a /system/reader/ folder with style files where you can configure the way flowing-text files display for you. This makes it as configurable as any reading app out there, so you in principle don't need to install an additional app.

In PDF viewer, Touch HD has a nifty nuance: When you set it to

- crop automatically
- then display fit-to-page

it displays the entire page with the white margins cropped. Inkpad 2 does not have the same effect with the same settings. You have to crop manually. However, the bigger size of Inkpad 2 covers this minor sin. Otherwise the pdf viewers and all other software are the same, multi-column viewing, reflow (often misbehaves) etc.

An important difference though: Inkpad has a separate Notes app. You can take notes (both typing and scribble) in Touch HD too, but the separate Notes app is the place where you see all the notes you have ever done in your entire onboard library. This is yet another awesome way to navigate your reading material. Touch HD does not have this. I very much wish it had, instead of the Klondike or Sudoku game for example.

I own both devices, so I have played around with them trying to install other apps. Koreader is harder to install on Touch HD, without any hassle on Inkpad 2. However, I got it to work well on both devices. Coolreader I got to work on Touch HD, but not on Inkpad 2.

Which one I would recommend? If you can't make up your mind, buy them both.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote