Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 10-16-2014, 07:50 PM   #1
mantas84
mantas84 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STWGL
Question Pdf to epub

I try to convert this Pdf book to epub, but after 45min of conversion I only get epub with lots of png images and no html source. On pdf I can select and copy text, so its not an image.
I even can read pdf with my nook, but it looks bad when i try to increase text size.

How to make a proper conversion with Calibre?

Last edited by theducks; 10-16-2014 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Remove copyrighted material
mantas84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:16 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
At the top of this forum section is a sticky about PDF Conversions

Moderator Notice
Your attachments have been unapproved because they appear to be that of copyrighted material which is not allowed by MR policy. Please review all posting guidelines.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2014, 08:21 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@mantas84 - firstly if you have posted a copyrighted work, you need to know that that is not allowed on this board. If you have then remove the attachments before someone does it for you. See ==>> FAQ: Posting Guidelines.

Quote:
EBooks uploaded to this site must be in the "life+70" public domain. This means that the author (or translator) of the book must have died at least 70 years before the start of the current year. It is up to the individual to determine whether any particular eBook on MobileRead is legal to download in their country.
I see theducks has beaten me to it; no matter, its worth reinforcing.

Secondly, if you haven't done so already, please read these Sticky threads at the top of this subforum

==>> Read this before Posting PDF Questions
==>> How to ask a question about conversion problems

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 10-16-2014 at 08:29 PM. Reason: ack theducks post
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 12:18 PM   #4
mantas84

I have read the sticky threads.
My epub file from calibre have consist only of png files. I tried a simple pdf to txt conversion online and it worked perfectly. So it's not OCR? Why I can't convert this book properly to epub?

Sorry for attachments.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:30 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantas84 View Post
I have read the sticky threads.
My epub file from calibre have consist only of png files. I tried a simple pdf to txt conversion online and it worked perfectly. So it's not OCR? Why I can't convert this book properly to epub?

Sorry for attachments.
YOU need to OCR
PNG is an image format
Advert
Old 10-17-2014, 12:53 PM   #6
mantas84

So why simple online pdf -> txt converter does correctly extract text from pdf in 2 minutes, and calibre gives me images after 45m?

TXT is a text format
Old 10-17-2014, 01:39 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantas84 View Post
So why simple online pdf -> txt converter does correctly extract text from pdf in 2 minutes, and calibre gives me images after 45m?

TXT is a text format
So, if you now have TXT, why not use that?

Calibre is not an OCR program, the other may be ONLY do OCR.

Calibre is trying for the best output based upon the Input.
You gave it Images, Calibre gave you Images prepared/optomizd based upon the selected device profile
Old 10-17-2014, 01:59 PM   #8
mantas84

Because I want epub. epub is better than txt for e-reader . Now I have to read from pdf.

I think I gave a proper pdf and got images from calibre. Calibre failed to make a txt file after 30min, then I tried to read epub made by calibre my nook reader crached. So you call this prepared and optimized?
Old 10-17-2014, 05:35 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@mantas84 - if Calibre does not do OCR on PDF's, there's probably a good reason.

I don't know for certain, but I imagine that it might have to do with the paucity of high-quality, zero-cost, open-source OCR engines. The general consensus of people who convert books for a living seems to be that the only OCR programs worth using are commercial ones such as Abbyy Fine Reader.

This thread is worth reading ==>> Can you OCR the images inside of .pdf files?

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 03:46 AM   #10
mantas84

Finally I have epub. Thanks for https://pdf2epub.services.open.xerox.com/ . It doesn't have a good layout but it's epub. Calibre seems to be useless in conversion of this book.

Tags
calibre 2.5, conversion, epub, pdf