Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 02-16-2008, 09:07 PM   #1
llamatron
llamatron began at the beginning.

Device: iliad
Goodbye iRex

I've been trying to get iRex to replace a screen that has the infamous 'black line' fault, and I've pretty much given up. I got as far as them sending me the packaging, however they provided no instructions. I asked for them to resend the instructions and nearly two months later I'm still waiting for an acknowledgement.

The only email I received in the last three months was an email to say that things were held up because of the battery replacement program. Naturally, the fact that I was eligible, but wasn't notified that this was available made me furious, but the fact that somehow the battery replacement program prevented me from receiving shipping instructions for two months was just insulting.

Apart from that, I asked a number of questions which went unanswered, and only received the usual form responses. When I raised the issue, my iliad was in warranty, but it is now out of warranty. I have absolutely no faith that iRex will honour the terms of the warranty and will do all they can to fleece me for the cost of a new screen. I also have no faith that if I were to get the terms honoured, that I wouldn't be missing my ilaid for an unacceptable amount of time.

The irony is, that I would rather pay for a screen which I could install myself, rather than go through the pain of having iRex perform this service for me for free. The question is, can I? Probably not.

iRex have lost me for good as a customer, and this is an additional warning to those who are thinking of investing in an iliad. I'm not saying it's not a great device, it is, however a premium product at a premium price dictates a certain level of treatment of customers (especially early adopters) beyond that of simply getting away with the bare minimum.

Customers tend to stay loyal to a technology provider if there is a certain level of trust. When I purchased my iliad, reports were bad, but apparently 'getting better'. Suffice to say that in my experience not the case.
llamatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 10:09 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
A fine example of poor customer service
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2008, 05:42 AM   #3
parryl
Enthusiast
parryl began at the beginning.

Device: iliad / nokia 6600 slide
this really help me change my idea about irex ..

btw they have yet to answer any of my emails
parryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 05:37 PM   #4
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Hmm, i havent had any troubles with customer support lately.

The instructions in the return box are usually "hidden" in the white box. I had them inside the part where the accessories gor. Have you looked inside?

If you need the instructions, send me a PM. If you have a ticket number from iRex, which you should, then i can maybe help you solve your problem.

Good luck.
Falk
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 03:04 AM   #5
jackbrown
Enthusiast
jackbrown began at the beginning.

yeah llamatron, like tribble said, the instructions are supposed to be printed on a sheet of paper in the box. If they're not, it's pretty simple anyway:
you take any memory cards out.
you put the iliad in its little space in the box. make sure the screen is covered with the little foamy sheet, maybe tape that on.
put the charger in its little space
send the whole thing via the included UPS or Fedex shipping bill. You pay nothing...

I was myself extremely impressed with how easy the process was. As far as warranty, I am quite sure Irex WILL honor the warranty despite the passage of time. They're quite relaxed about that, unlike bigger more 'corporate' acting companies.
jackbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert