Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 01-17-2013, 04:01 PM   #76
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Yup. Along those lines, the scariest movie I've ever seen is Deliverance.
The most frightening and surreal film I've ever seen is the Korean A Tale of Two Sisters {2004} It's easily available with English subtitles. But at all costs avoid the American remake which dumbs down the entire film.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:36 PM   #77
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
The final nominations for June have been made. The poll will be up in a couple of minutes.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2013, 05:38 PM   #78
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
The June category poll is up.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:02 PM   #79
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Oooh, Deliverance is my 1970 selection for my reading challenge this year.
While it's written in stone that a book must be read before seeing the film version, there's an element to the movie that makes it even scarier. I'll say no more now, but once you've read the book I'll elaborate. Really good book, btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
The most frightening and surreal film I've ever seen is the Korean A Tale of Two Sisters {2004} It's easily available with English subtitles. But at all costs avoid the American remake which dumbs down the entire film.
Sigh. I wish that so many, Yanks and others, didn't feel the need to dumb things down for the American audience. We're really not so stupid as all that.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:27 PM   #80
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Don't read Deliverance now. We can read that for the classics month.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2013, 06:40 PM   #81
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I very rarely read horror. I don't scare easily anymore so it's almost always never scary. What might scare me are not supernatural but realistically disturbing stories, and I generally don't like those anyway because they're too disturbing.

It's easier to watch horror films because you're only involved for a few hours so you can have your jolt and be done, which might be a similar sentiment to horror short stories being better.

Of film, the scariest one I think I've ever seen was the original The Texas Chainsaw Massacre from the 70's. It might also be considered "splatterpunk" though I'm still not sure exactly what that is. I watched it when I was in my early 20's and my roommates were gone for the weekend; it was close to Halloween and I thought it'd be a great idea to watch it all alone late at night. Suffice it to say, I ended up having to turn all the lights on and check all the rooms and closets and double-check all the locks and windows, heh.

Maybe the best thriller film that's a sort of psychological horror that I've ever seen is called "Spoorloos". It's a Dutch film from the 80's and translates to The Vanishing. There is a horrendous American remake that changes very important plot details and is to be avoided at all costs, but the Dutch original is chilling. If you're interested, I'd suggest knowing as little as possible about it before watching.

By the way, this is an interesting conversation to be having in January in a June category thread, lol.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:23 AM   #82
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Why are there 7 days for nominations, but only 5 for voting? How about only 5 days for nominations, nothing much seemed to happen in the last 2 days.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:32 AM   #83
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I like 7 for nominations and I'd like 7 for the voting too. It means those who only check on the weekends or just on certain days don't have to miss out entirely.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote