Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-05-2017, 05:26 PM   #1
adam12
adam12 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Saving by Genre / Tags

I like my books when added are saved by Genre / Tags rather by author.

Right now when added calibre create new Folders based on the author name. This I want to change so it added to Genre / Tags.

Very simple as you go to a normal book store you go to a section like travel,

How can I do this with calibre?

Thanks
adam12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 05:48 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
You cannot change how Calibre stores books in its libraries.

What you CAN change is the format of the folders/filenames to be used if you export books from the Calibre library.

If you are using the Calibre GUI then you can access books from there using any criteria you want from the metadata stored about your books.

Last edited by itimpi; 07-05-2017 at 05:51 PM.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:00 PM   #3
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
If you really, really want your Calibre folders to group by genre *and* you don't mind using Calibre in non-standard ways:

*use the Author/Author Sort fields for Genre
*but the author name in the tags field or in a custom column

This wouldn't give you folders grouped by author within your genre folders, though. You could experiment with combining genre and author in the author/author sort fields, I suppose.

Officially, itimpi has the best answer for the way Calibre was designed to be used. You're supposed to use the Calibre interface to access those folders - you're NOT supposed to go into them directly using whatever file manager program you use.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:29 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none

If you use hierarchical tags (e.g. Travel.Europe.Italy, Biographies.Military.GrecoRoman), I think you could create Virtual Libraries for Travel, Biographies... to model the sections of a regular book store.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote