Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-14-2016, 11:22 PM   #16
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Yeah, if you only have the email for a giveaway with the expectation you wouldn't use it for other purpose, then don't. Is that the case?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 04:56 PM   #17
AndrewMowere
Connoisseur
AndrewMowere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewMowere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewMowere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewMowere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewMowere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewMowere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewMowere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewMowere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewMowere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewMowere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewMowere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Yeah, if you only have the email for a giveaway with the expectation you wouldn't use it for other purpose, then don't. Is that the case?
This has escalated slightly. I ended up contacting the person on goodreads, and he did not answer. I'd like to thank everyone who commented on their excellent advice.

In other news, the book is done, although I wouldn't call that hot mispaced mess a first draft. Time to dive into the abyss of edits and proofreading.
AndrewMowere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 06:47 PM   #18
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewMowere View Post
This has escalated slightly. I ended up contacting the person on goodreads, and he did not answer. I'd like to thank everyone who commented on their excellent advice.

In other news, the book is done, although I wouldn't call that hot mispaced mess a first draft. Time to dive into the abyss of edits and proofreading.

= Apparently, everyone has strong opinions on this.

It's too bad your thread escalated, as you say.

Good luck on your editing and proofreading....and proofreading....and proofreading....
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:57 PM   #19
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewMowere View Post

FWIW, I don't think it's worth contacting anyone about an ARC until you have a well edited copy available. And of course you're not going to get a 100% response rate. Contact once, then leave it alone. If you're interested in getting more eyes on, consider using ARC services such as netgalley, or read some advice on how to cold-contact bookbloggers appropriately.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 01:28 PM   #20
Krazykiwi
Zealot
Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many random androids to list
Particularly on GR there have been some disastrous episodes involving authors contacting reviewers (doxxings, stalking -- this one got written about by the author in question in the Guardian amazingly enough, who thought she was completely in the right, in another case a pretty loopy author travelled the length of the UK and knocked a reviewer over the head with a wine bottle at her workplace.)

It's also important to remember that as an author you have a business relationship with your readers, and have to beware of consumer protection laws. Contacting people via email if they did not opt in to specifically the purpose you are using the email address for might fall foul of the CAN-SPAM laws. Signing up for one giveaway is not necessarily carte blanche to use someone's email address for anything else, that's why many giveaway services/raffle sites make entrants explicitly sign up for a mailing list as well. ISP's tend to treat CAN-SPAM complaints a bit like DMCA complaints, and take you offline while they sort it out, rather than risking it escalating to the point they are at fault too, so all it can take is one strongly worded complaint using the right kind of legalese and your website is down for the duration.

While obviously most authors are not insane (and I assume that includes you!) and many reviewers are entirely open to being approached by authors for free books, it's simply not safe to assume that is always the case! Best practice is as mentioned: Contact only once then let it be if they don't reply. And on GR make sure you check their profile, people who don't want to be contacted will usually say so there.
Krazykiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 11:56 AM   #21
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
For what it is worth, this site offers reviews.

http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/
Thanks Darryl. I looked at the site. I've got a free book now. Is the site as simple as plop the free book on there and if people want they'll review it?
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 12:07 PM   #22
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
Thanks Darryl. I looked at the site. I've got a free book now. Is the site as simple as plop the free book on there and if people want they'll review it?
Gregg. Unfortunately it looks like you just missed out. The site was offering free reviews but they have just dumped them. They now offer only paid reviews.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:52 PM   #23
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
Gregg. Unfortunately it looks like you just missed out. The site was offering free reviews but they have just dumped them. They now offer only paid reviews.
Okay. Thanks for getting back to me.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:58 PM   #24
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazykiwi View Post
in another case a pretty loopy author travelled the length of the UK and knocked a reviewer over the head with a wine bottle at her workplace.
I agree this is going too far.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:58 PM   #25
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
I agree this is going too far.
Yeah, a couple towns over is as far as I'd go to hit someone with a wine bottle.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 07:16 AM   #26
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Yeah, a couple towns over is as far as I'd go to hit someone with a wine bottle.
Depends, do they supply the wine? I'd travel a bit further for a good red. I get to drink the contents first, don't I? I'm sure I must, I'd be mad to use a full bottle.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote