Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-26-2008, 05:19 PM   #1
davea
davea began at the beginning.

Device: undecided
Question 505 and password protected PDF

Only just started thinking about getting a UK 505 but want to make sure I'll be able to read the books I intend to buy, so I have a couple of questions....

I downloaded an ebook from Apress.com (publish books for software developers etc) in PDF format and it is password protected when opening the document - does this constitute DRM? Seems a little basic if it does, but it is encrypted. Would I be able to read this on the 505?

It is important that I make sure I can read protected PDF from this publisher because the whole purpose of a 505 purchase would be to save dragging large books around on my commute.

Cheers,
Dave
davea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 06:07 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The 505 cannot view password protected PDF. No idea if the 700 can or not since it does have a keyboard.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2008, 08:30 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
PDFs protected by passwords are not really protected at all. There are commercially available (presumably legal, at least for some purposes) programs for "password recovery" of PDF files, which actually just give you back a password free copy of the PDF. They do this even without knowing the password. Note that a password to open a PDF is sometimes called a "User Password", and it is the harder of the two kinds of PDF passwords to recover (the other restricts printing and copying).

Since you have the password, it is possible that a 3rd party PDF reader will allow you to save a password free version without going through the "recovery" process.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 06:28 AM   #4
davea
davea began at the beginning.

Device: undecided
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Note that a password to open a PDF is sometimes called a "User Password", and it is the harder of the two kinds of PDF passwords to recover (the other restricts printing and copying).

Since you have the password, it is possible that a 3rd party PDF reader will allow you to save a password free version without going through the "recovery" process.
Sounds like a User Password on my doc. Thanks for the ideas I can investigate.

Cheers,
Dave
davea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:15 PM   #5
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
The BeBook reports to have that capacity in it's last firmware upgrade:
http://mybebook.com/p20/PDB-Support-...ate/pages.html

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert