Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you happy with your Paperwhite's screen?
Yes 191 76.71%
No 58 23.29%
Voters: 249. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-03-2012, 09:03 PM   #31
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Elipsa, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
I'm generally happy. I'm a convert from the Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight, and the quality of lighting and contrast when lit between the two is night and day.

It's much more evenly lit. Also to me, having the lights at the bottom instead of the top is much less distracting.

I'm also much more pleased with mid-level lighting performance. The always-on design eliminates having to decide whether to turn the light on or not. Now, it's just a matter of adjusting brightness to what's comfortable at the time.

Last edited by 7hir7een; 10-08-2012 at 11:22 PM.
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:49 AM   #32
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by iJn View Post
Sorry you're not happy with that choice, I've already said I'm more than happy for a mod to remove it.
Having done a little testing, I think that if I remove the third option, people who voted for that option might be able to vote again.

Or perhaps everyone will be able to vote again.

If the latter turns out to be the case, I'll also reset the poll numbers.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:51 AM   #33
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Having done a little testing, I think that if I remove the third option, people who voted for that option might be able to vote again.
Done. I think that the people who chose the third option can now vote again for "Yes" or "No".
Old 10-04-2012, 10:56 AM   #34
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Mine has even coloring with the shadowing limited to the very bottom. Doesn't bother me at all. I have tested it in my normal conditions, overall room light, dim room light and dark. The only problem I have is that the contrast in the text goes down some with the light. The light is obviously an important feature to those of us who bought it, so it's the feature that will make or break whether to keep it or not.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:17 PM   #35
iJn
iJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:

Or perhaps everyone will be able to vote again.

If the latter turns out to be the case, I'll also reset the poll numbers.
Quote:
Done. I think that the people who chose the third option can now vote again for "Yes" or "No".
Thanks!
iJn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:52 PM   #36
SanAntone
Connoisseur
SanAntone began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and Scribe
Here's the problem (directly from Amazon's website):

Perfectly Balanced Whiteness
We worked on Kindle Paperwhite for over two years to perfect the uniformity of the built-in light, flattening out a fiber optic cable into a sheet, and nanoimprinting to ensure perfectly even distribution of light. Our design uses nanoscale optical diffractive patterns to enable tight control over the direction of the light. Enjoy reading with exceptional lighting uniformity and evenly balanced whiteness across the entire display.

This simply isn't true. The blurring at the bottom really doesn't bother me, but Amazon is describing the screen incorrectly and the images on the website don't illustrate the way the screen actually looks with the light. That, to me, is misleading.
SanAntone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:01 PM   #37
alaskazimm
alaskazimm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alaskazimm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alaskazimm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alaskazimm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook Touch Glow; Kindle Paperwhite 2
Having both the Nook Glow and the Paperwhite, I can say the KPW screen and light is a big step ahead of the NGL. It's brighter, more even, the screen is sharper. I hesitated a few minutes before punching the buy button last month, but now I can say I'm glad I did.
alaskazimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:22 PM   #38
Wildgift
Connoisseur
Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntone View Post
Here's the problem (directly from Amazon's website):

Perfectly Balanced Whiteness
We worked on Kindle Paperwhite for over two years to perfect the uniformity of the built-in light, flattening out a fiber optic cable into a sheet, and nanoimprinting to ensure perfectly even distribution of light. Our design uses nanoscale optical diffractive patterns to enable tight control over the direction of the light. Enjoy reading with exceptional lighting uniformity and evenly balanced whiteness across the entire display.

This simply isn't true. The blurring at the bottom really doesn't bother me, but Amazon is describing the screen incorrectly and the images on the website don't illustrate the way the screen actually looks with the light. That, to me, is misleading.
In my experience, this is completely true. There are little cones of light at the bottom. Let's see how the replacement unit looks, but I suspect that it is what it is...
Wildgift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #39
Buran
Geek
Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis Waterproof 32GB 3G (without offers)
I can update to say that now I can't see that bright spot. Who knows what it was? Still loving it. My hubby didn't even know I'd been reading in bed two nights straight til I told him! It's much less disruptive than the room light and the Touch.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349393272.411862.jpg
Views:	730
Size:	222.0 KB
ID:	93414
Buran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:24 PM   #40
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Voted YES.

I just received my PW and the screen is a perfect white and fonts are dark, thick and have good contrast with the screen.

I see no blotches, colors or any of the other problems some others seem to have.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:29 AM   #41
jonnickell
jonnickell began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge, Sony prs650, Kindle 2 & 3, Reb 1100, Nook Color
I am very happy with PW. Screen is perfect. Use the backlight in almost all conditions to give an almost white background instead of the usual grey. I reminds me very much of the look of my first VGA monitor, a black and white one since color was too expensive and I didn't care for Amber. Also got my leather cover early.....it is great.....really like the auto off feature via the magnet in the cover. I may have to give my Fire away now!!.
jonnickell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:32 PM   #42
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I voted yes, but I'm back to undecided (which is what I'd voted before it was deleted). Not because of the lighting, mine isn't a bad one (just the light source stuff at the bottom). I'm getting a bit of an 'under glass' effect when reading in certain lighting (especially at work) where I can tell that I'm looking through a layer or two on top of the eInk. Sometimes I'm more sensitive to it than others, but I find myself getting distracted by it while reading sometimes. The light isn't as big a deal for me as it is for some so I'm not sure, I might just go back to my Touch or K3 and save my $140 for another day.

Another thing I can't seem to get used to so far are the fonts on the PW. The sizes are 'off' when compared to my Touch and K3 where I had settled into a perfect size and the PW is either too small or too large and I can't seem to settle in. Still don't know why we're limited to specific sizes instead of a slider for size on these devices.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 10-08-2012 at 10:41 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:09 PM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Polls can't be changed once posted. Thus, the poll really only represents a first impression of self selected users. No internet forum poll uses statistical samples and good math to calculate degrees of confidence.
The MR Leprechauns can change a poll after it is posted. They have and they did. Well done.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:34 AM   #44
hwtan13
hwtan13 can differentiate black from dark navy bluehwtan13 can differentiate black from dark navy bluehwtan13 can differentiate black from dark navy bluehwtan13 can differentiate black from dark navy bluehwtan13 can differentiate black from dark navy bluehwtan13 can differentiate black from dark navy bluehwtan13 can differentiate black from dark navy bluehwtan13 can differentiate black from dark navy bluehwtan13 can differentiate black from dark navy bluehwtan13 can differentiate black from dark navy bluehwtan13 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: KK 3G, KT, KPW, NTG
Prefect white.
hwtan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:41 AM   #45
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The MR Leprechauns can change a poll after it is posted. They have and they did. Well done.
Do I look like a leprechaun? Well, apart from the green coat, that is.