Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-31-2012, 12:24 PM   #1
mobkhan95
mobkhan95 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Post Cheap E-reader for scanned pdfs

I would like some opinions or ideas on what type of e-reader(with e-ink) to buy if I want to read scanned pdfs. The pdfs contain images of text and some pictures throughout. They are mainly like textbooks or review books for school. I also want a cheap one around 100 dollars. Thanks a lot for the help!
mobkhan95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:35 PM   #2
ignacio ferrer
Banned
ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobkhan95 View Post
I would like some opinions or ideas on what type of e-reader(with e-ink) to buy if I want to read scanned pdfs. The pdfs contain images of text and some pictures throughout. They are mainly like textbooks or review books for school. I also want a cheap one around 100 dollars. Thanks a lot for the help!
That is wishful thinking: PB912, Onyx M92, Ectaco Jetbook - all around 400 ...
ignacio ferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 02:26 PM   #3
mobkhan95

thanks for the response

so the nook/kindle/kobo e-ink devices aren't good at all for reading scanned pdfs?
i just need to be able to read them and look through them
i heard that the sony readers can view pdfs pretty well and so could the kindle/nook

Last edited by mobkhan95; 03-31-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:49 PM   #4
ab7vf
Enthusiast
ab7vf has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ab7vf has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ab7vf has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: dxg and newfound Icarus 8
Kinda depends ..

What is the 'printed' area of the bomaoks, ie space actually occupied by text/pictures?

If it measures 6" diagonal, than you could potentially get a "one-to-one" correspondence on a 6" reader .. After cropping excess white-space, margins etc
If the text/illustrations are greater than 6" diagonal than expect a reduction in print size at the very least .. I don't know how good any of the nook/etc are at removing margins or excess white-space.

A couple of programs to play with : Briss to 'crop' and k2pdfopt for crop/format

Jim
ab7vf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:16 PM   #5
mobkhan95

:O

won't i just be able to pan around though?
and there are white spaces since it's just a regular book or textbook
it's mainly black and white i guess too
Old 03-31-2012, 06:11 PM   #6
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Yes you can in theory pan around. If your primary use for the e-book is to do this with pdf's I think you'll be disappointed. If it's something you want to do occasionally then it's workable. Speed of refresh etc just make it a pain do on an e-ink e-reader vs a touch tablet even if the screen size isn't much different.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:42 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Get a cheap tablet. It will work better for your PDF then a 6" eink reader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:52 PM   #8
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Have to agree with JSWolf with this.

ereaders are not designed to read PDF documents effectively. A tablet with appropriate PDF software installed is a better bet for the task and makes for a far less frustrating reading experience.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:23 AM   #9
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
Try a cheap 9-10" Android tablet. I hear the Le Pan is ok, but not great. They may have crap battery life, though, and the screen is not going to be as nice as the more expensive ones.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:32 PM   #10
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage edge & Pocket, Sony T1, Galaxy Note I, ex many others
A properly made Pdf is nicely seen on 9,7" readers, and the cheaper is the Pocketbook 902 (nothing bad with it, with pdf is better than Kindle DXG).

Scanned pdf (if you mean made with images, no text) are the worst kind of file you can read with an ereader. With those you'll need 9,7" with custom zoom, but navigating it may be slow and unsatisfactory.

If you read only this kind of files, you can use an OCR to convert those files, or buy a tablet. If so, hope you don't have to read for long sessions.
lorenzoens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:30 PM   #11
hel
Sorceress
hel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to behold

Device: Onyx Air2&Nova 3C,Kindle oasis1,Kobo Forma,iPad pro 12.9&9.7,and more.
Try Nook Simple Touch with cropping pages, it would be small but readable in landscape mode. But if you have scanned A4 or bigger, it will be too small. Tablet will be definitely better.

Last edited by hel; 04-03-2012 at 09:35 PM.
hel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e-readers under $100, pdfs, scanned pdf