Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-17-2011, 05:55 PM   #1
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Weird formatting

I just bought the new Terry Pratchett, 'Snuff', and it has the weirdest quirk.

The word 'people' never has a space in front of it - it's always mashed into the word or punctuation before it.

There are a few other missing spaces, but nothing else this consistent. It's driving me buggy!
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:59 PM   #2
TFeldt
Connoisseur
TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Asus Transformer, Galaxy S
You're not alone, actually holding off buying it for a bit until I get some confirmation that it's fixed. There was a post on teleread about it http://www.teleread.com/paul-biba/te...nproofed-book/
TFeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:17 PM   #3
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I see a lot of people on that thread trying to blame Amazon, but I bought mine in epub from the Sony Store, last night.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:47 PM   #4
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Amazon doesn't format ebooks, the publishers do.

And I come across a lot of ebooks with poor formatting, both from Amazon and from books that I borrow from the library.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:55 PM   #5
khalleron
Kate

I sent an email to Sony and they sent this reply:

Quote:
Thank you for contacting Sony Support.

We are sorry for all the inconvenience you've encountered with the typos on the title Snuff by Terry Pratchett. Sony's Reader Store content development team has forwarded your recent concern to engineering for confirmation. If they determine that the file contained on our site requires correction, they will resolve the issue quickly. As soon as the issue has been addressed, you will be contacted again with further information.

Thank you for being a valued Sony Customer.
I don't mind it so much when I get Google Books or even library books with oodles of typos, but a book I paid $13 for should be nearly pristine.

Humph.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:03 PM   #6
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Amazon will probably send out a corrected version when it becomes available.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:24 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Amazon will probably send out a corrected version when it becomes available.
If the errors are as simple as they sound, I can edit the ePub to fix them myself. No need to wait. +1 for ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:41 AM   #8
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Actually it's even weirder than first reported - if a word ends in *ple, the preceding space is deleted - I noticed this with people, couple, purple, etc. Way weird!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:20 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Actually it's even weirder than first reported - if a word ends in *ple, the preceding space is deleted - I noticed this with people, couple, purple, etc. Way weird!
That's a bit harder to fix. But I won't be deterred from fixing it eventually. But maybe by the time I'm ready to read it, there will be a fixed version available from the library.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:29 AM   #10
khalleron
Kate

Quote:
Yes, I've noticed it with 'couple' now - but Pratchett apparently uses the word 'people' much more.

Of course, by the time they get it fixed, I'll have finished the book.

Sigh.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:08 PM   #11
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Maybe the epub generator thinks that the string "ple" isn't actually found in words, and only means "delete the space before this word" ?
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:45 PM   #12
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The fact that they don't proofread their e-books before releasing them is beyond me. We are talking about professional publishers aren't we ?
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:27 PM   #13
khalleron
Kate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
The fact that they don't proofread their e-books before releasing them is beyond me. We are talking about professional publishers aren't we ?
Harper Collins.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:28 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
No. We are talking agency publishers. Not professional at all.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:30 PM   #15
TFeldt
Connoisseur
TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TFeldt can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Asus Transformer, Galaxy S
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
No. We are talking agency publishers. Not professional at all.
Succinctly phrased. Let me insert the sound of a whip snapping for you, sir.
TFeldt is offline   Reply With Quote