Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-18-2010, 01:54 AM   #1
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
How good is the new E-Ink Pearl?

Just curious, I'm pretty set on getting a Kindle and not a Nook after some research, and was just wondering...how good is the contrast? Is it that much easier on the eyes?
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:10 AM   #2
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
It's fantastic. Real black and real white. Plus in the graphite version this is enhanced, imho, because you can check the black of the letters with the dark grey of the chassis, it's really stunning.
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2010, 03:12 AM   #3
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay, I'm sold....just have to be patient now LOL. I know they are sold out at the Kindle Store and won't ship until around Sept 10th, but I get ansy LOL.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:15 AM   #4
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
Okay, I'm sold....just have to be patient now LOL. I know they are sold out at the Kindle Store and won't ship until around Sept 10th, but I get ansy LOL.
The earlier you order, the earlier it could arrive, you know
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:19 AM   #5
jhempel24
Wizard

LOL yeah, I know....I'm ordering before my Prime account expires on the 30th, so I get overnight shipping for $3.

Just have to wait till I get the funds...so my Sony eReader Pocket is going up for sale by the end of the week.
Advert
Old 08-18-2010, 10:30 AM   #6
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Quote:
Okay, I'm sold....
wasn't very difficult... I hope it works out for ya
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:47 AM   #7
Burliburd
Enthusiast
Burliburd began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG, iPod Touch
I had a Sony PRS-505 which is famous by its good contrast as an E-ink screen. I can tell you that the KDXG with "perl" technology is much better. I will not go back to Sony, especially after I've sold my PRS-600 (total disappointment).
Burliburd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:05 AM   #8
jhempel24
Wizard

Well, things are becoming quite difficult in converting my library to mobile format....I use Book Designer to open up different formats and I spent an hour to get a cover for a book....this might be a deal breaker...I want to read my books the way I like them, and an output from Book Designer of PRC is just not doing it right.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:30 PM   #9
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
I want to read my books the way I like them, and an output from Book Designer of PRC is just not doing it right.
I'm amazed that you got Book Designer running. I never got that far...I tried for weeks before I kicked it form my computer and switched to Calibre and Mobipocket Creator. They do exactly what you want...well almost. Unfortunately Calibre cannot convert ePub to HTML. But I guess only Amber ePub converter can do that in a decent way
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:40 PM   #10
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortep View Post
I'm amazed that you got Book Designer running. I never got that far...I tried for weeks before I kicked it form my computer and switched to Calibre and Mobipocket Creator. They do exactly what you want...well almost. Unfortunately Calibre cannot convert ePub to HTML. But I guess only Amber ePub converter can do that in a decent way
Hmm, why would you want to convert epub to HTML? epub is zipped HTML...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:52 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Unfortunately Calibre cannot convert ePub to HTML. But I guess only Amber ePub converter can do that in a decent way
Just change the extension of the ePub to zip and unzip it. You'll have access to the original HTML/XHTML then, no need to convert anything.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:06 PM   #12
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Hmm, why would you want to convert epub to HTML? epub is zipped HTML...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Just change the extension of the ePub to zip and unzip it. You'll have access to the original HTML/XHTML then, no need to convert anything.

Well...almost...
Most of the time when I do this I get chaos of .xhtml files with no apparent/clear file name. And even in the few cases they have a serial number the number has nothing to do with the order in which they are needed in the book. What I want is one single html file were al the xhtml are placed in the correct order.

I know I can look in the opf and use a text editor to recreate the book, but I have a computer, it should be doing this for me.

I tried converting to RTF first but that gave me in several cases only a part of the book. The last part was missing.

Last edited by Ortep; 08-18-2010 at 01:08 PM.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:13 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I'm amazed that you got Book Designer running. I never got that far...
All the (many hundreds) of books that I've uploaded to MR were created with BookDesigner. It is an excellent tool, once you learn how to use it. Have you read my tutorial?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:20 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette View Post
It's fantastic. Real black and real white. Plus in the graphite version this is enhanced, imho, because you can check the black of the letters with the dark grey of the chassis, it's really stunning.
I'm sorry, but that's a considerable exaggeration. A friend of mine has a Graphite DX and although the contrast is significantly better than a 2nd gen "Vizplex" screen it's still very definitely dark grey and light grey. Compare the background to a sheet of white paper. It is very definitely not white.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:23 PM   #15
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm sorry, but that's a considerable exaggeration. A friend of mine has a Graphite DX and although the contrast is significantly better than a 2nd gen "Vizplex" screen it's still very definitely dark grey and light grey. Compare the background to a sheet of white paper. It is very definitely not white.
I'd have to agree with HarryT. I was expecting a significantly "whiter" or lighter gray screen - and was initially quite disappointed. But then - after starting to read with it - I discovered the combination of the darker text with a "crisper" appearance combined with the charcoal bezel - really did increase the contrast and I could read it easily in reduced light conditions.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote