Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-16-2010, 08:16 PM   #1
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
What are you reading this summer on your iPad?

Just finished free book (For Sale in Palm Springs, The Henry Wight Mystery Series) in a series by Albert Simon, light mystery reading which I love. At the end of the book, there was a hyperlink to smashwords to find more books by this author. The next four books in Epub format through Smashwords were $1.99 each while same books through iBooks store was $2.99 each. So save yourself some money and check the distributor site first. Afterall for $7.96 I downloaded all the books, sync through iTunes and there they are, sitting right on the shelves in my iBooks application! Sorry iBooks!!

Oh yeah, available in Kindle format, text, pdf, etc.
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:13 AM   #2
steph_g
Book Lover
steph_g doesn't littersteph_g doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone 3GS
I've read Stieg Larsson's Millenium series, working on Jim Butcher's Dresden Files (just finished Grave Peril), and I'm now reading Craig Ferguson's autobiography American on Purpose, which I'm really enjoying. Those are just a few of the books I've read this summer. I'm a teacher, so once I'm back to work in a couple of weeks my reading time is cut way back.
steph_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2010, 08:56 AM   #3
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
In various apps I am reading

Magician
I am Ozzy
NRSV (bible, Catholic edition)
Keyboard Magazine
Be A Man (by Father Larry Richards)
Sh*t my dad says
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:08 AM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I am reading soooo much now that I can see it better on the iPad. eInk did not work for me at all. Looking at my various bookshelves, I seem to be reading a lot of romantic comedies this summer, scifi of course, a political thriller I just bought a min ago, and yesterday I dropped everything to read Wesley Allison's brand new sequel to "Voyage of the Minotaur" called "The Dark and Forbidding Land.". I am a big fan of HistoryWes' Senta series.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:16 PM   #5
Fotoman
Groupie
Fotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it is

Device: iPad 64GB wifi (Sony 505 RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steph_g View Post
I've read Stieg Larsson's Millenium series, working on Jim Butcher's Dresden Files (just finished Grave Peril)...
Hey! We have similar taste

I've got the Larsson books in there ready to go and I'm all up to date with the Harry Dresden books. I've been meaning to read Butcher's other series, Codex Alera, for a while and I've just finished The Furies of Calderon and am now reading Academ's Fury... Enjoyable and well-written although the subject matter (high fantasy) doesn't lend itself to humor in the way the Dresden books do.

I also have Margaret Atwood's The Flood and George RR Martin's Ice and Fire series queued up in anticipation of the upcoming HBO series.
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2010, 01:57 PM   #6
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotoman View Post

I also have Margaret Atwood's The Flood and George RR Martin's Ice and Fire series queued up in anticipation of the upcoming HBO series.
Speaking of similar tastes.. I just finished Atwood's Oryx and Crake yesterday. I do have Martin's also queued up but I'm torn between reading the books first or watching the mini series. I wasn't planning on reading the series until he finished but I could be dead by then. I keep seeing all the casting announcements for the the tv series and it's looking quite impressive.

Currently reading Kraken by China Mieville. After that I will likely re-read Peter F. Hamilton Void series in preparation for book 3 coming in a couple months.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 02:12 PM   #7
lilman
Addict
lilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX, iPad
Mahou Sensei Negima!. I read about four chapters per day.
lilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 02:14 PM   #8
steph_g
Book Lover
steph_g doesn't littersteph_g doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotoman View Post

I've got the Larsson books in there ready to go and I'm all up to date with the Harry Dresden books. I've been meaning to read Butcher's other series, Codex Alera, for a while and I've just finished The Furies of Calderon and am now reading Academ's Fury... Enjoyable and well-written although the subject matter (high fantasy) doesn't lend itself to humor in the way the Dresden books do.

I've been wondering about Butcher's other series - but I will finish the Dresden Files first (still have quite a few to go). I like Margaret Atwood, too. Another book I read at the beginning of the summer (my first ebook!) was Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenedis (sp?) which was quite different, but I really liked it.
steph_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 02:56 PM   #9
Rique
Zealot
Rique began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (silver), IPad 3G 64GB
Just finished Hawk Channel Chase by Tom Corcoran - but not on my iPad (he does not do e-books... never has), so I suppose that does not count.

On the iPad, I last read "With the Old Breed" by Eugene Sledge, a first-person account of the War in the Pacific. If you like History at all, highly recommended.

Next in line is either "61 hours" by Lee Child or Randy Wayne White's latest, "Deep Shadow". Whichever of those two - light summer reading escapes - that I choose, after that is finished I plan to read "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy.

Haven't planned out my summer reading any further than that yet...

-- Riq
Rique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 04:56 PM   #10
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
I'm still reading Snow Falling on Cedars in paper, because there's no ebook version of it. However, I've already bought two ebooks by the author David Guterson which I'll start as soon as I've finished it: The Other, and Our Lady of the Forest.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:30 AM   #11
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
I'm suffering from the "school of fish"-syndrome.... I have too much material on my iPad that I spent more time choosing what to read, than actually reading....

I'm now reading the last two books of stieg larssons millennium trilogy in parallel. And a bunch of manga, comics and magazines
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:43 AM   #12
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I don't like to plan things I do for fun, so I'll read whatever I'm in the mood for at the time. I just finished Booth Tarkington's "Seventeen."

I heavily favor nonfiction, but those books are relatively expensive, so I cut them with fiction, like an addict cuts coke, to make it go further. I read a lot of public domain, because I like it and because it's free. At previous jobs, I used to get lots of free or dirt-cheap new books. Now I have to pay retail, ouch.

Last edited by Maggie Leung; 07-18-2010 at 02:06 AM.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:41 AM   #13
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
I'm getting to the end of "The Heir" by Paul Robertson. This is a freebie Amazon/Kindle/iPad book.

The book itself is a mystery thriller - a good read. Don't give me any spoilers - I still haven't figured out who the killer is.

An odd thing - the book is written in the first person, with the main protaganist being male. The author also, is apparently male, but the character's thoughts and actions seem curiously feminine. Is the author female, using a male pseudonym to write thrillers?

This is my first experience reading on the iPad using the Amazon/Kindle/iPad application. It's been a very smooth ride.

How come no one has commented on the Amazon/iPad application homepage? Rather than the usual virtual bookshelves, Amazon went with the silhouette of a youngster sitting on a hill under a tree, reading a book. As the time of day changes, so the sky in the background changes from blue to a reddish glow at twilight. Finally at night, there is a black sky with twinkling stars and the occasional shooting star. Quite charming.
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:54 AM   #14
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
I'm suffering from the "school of fish"-syndrome.... I have too much material on my iPad that I spent more time choosing what to read, than actually reading....
Ain't it the truth! I keep adding free books that sound interesting, like a kid in a candy store! I am probably set for years and the iPad has only been out three months,
Old 07-18-2010, 11:01 AM   #15
MsAstoria
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCR View Post
I'm getting to the end of "The Heir" by Paul Robertson. This is a freebie Amazon/Kindle/iPad book.

The book itself is a mystery thriller - a good read..
Cool, thank you, got it. Just what I need, another book in my Kindle app, I AM AN ADDICT!!!

Nice observation about the Kindle splash page, never notice that.

Last edited by MsAstoria; 07-18-2010 at 11:04 AM. Reason: correction

Tags
ebooks, ipad, mystery, smashbooks