Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-22-2010, 03:36 PM   #1
Prodromoi
Prodromoi began at the beginning.

Device: Dell Streak (mobile phone)
Question Dell Streak - eBook reader recommendations please

I'm looking for advice and recommendations please folks...

What would be a good e-book reader for the Dell Streak (the Android OS mobile phone/pad with the 5 inch screen)?

I'm not very familiar with e-books in themselves, other than being generally away that they use a variety of formats. I'd like - if possible - a reader that copes with all/most of the normal formats (hopefully including PDF files since I have a lot of PDF documents that I'd like to keep and be able to read).

There seems (rather to my surprise) to be no pre-installed eBook reader on the Streak (unless I'm somehow missing it completely!) So, what would be good recommendations and why. Freeware would be nice, but I don't mind paying a little to get a reliable or better-featured app.

Thanks in advance.
A

Last edited by Prodromoi; 06-22-2010 at 04:10 PM.
Prodromoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:58 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Aldiko

FBReaderJ
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2010, 04:09 PM   #3
Prodromoi
Prodromoi began at the beginning.

Device: Dell Streak (mobile phone)
OK, I'll add to my original post and edit it to include what I thought was too obvious to mention...

"And please give some justification for the recommendations, not just list some of the ebook readers currently available for download."
Prodromoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 04:18 PM   #4
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodromoi View Post
OK, I'll add to my original post and edit it to include what I thought was too obvious to mention...

"And please give some justification for the recommendations, not just list some of the ebook readers currently available for download."
Always a good idea to insult people trying to help you - we really like that here
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:54 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Aldiko and FBReaderJ are similar in that they only support DRM-free (not encrypted) ebooks. I prefer this kind of app, all things being equal, since I always remove any encryption as soon as I buy an ebook. For a review, see FBReader on EVO 4G Phone--Quickie Review. These are free apps, so I suggest you find an ePub (say) you like from the upload forum or from feedbooks and try them out. If you are a science fiction fan, I suggest My Own Kind Of Freedom by Steven Brust - which is only available as an ebook.

There are ebook readers tied to particular formats and encryption schemes and ebook sites. Kindle for Android is "coming soon", and has been reported to be bundled with the US Dell Streak. Kobo and B&N also have readers (B&N in beta I think).

None of these reader apps support PDFs, but there are dedicated PDF apps out there. One of the most often recommended is RepliGo, which is not free. Adobe has a basic free PDF app, but it needs Android 2.1.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
advice, dell, dell streak, recommendation, streak