Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-10-2010, 10:36 AM   #1
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
Book carryover into life

Books have had more than a few carryovers into my life.

On the "fun" side;

Johnny Tremain by Esther Forbes - caused me to move to Boston in the 70's.

John Carter by Edgar Rice Burroughs - got me started with fencing, and astronomy.

Any other stories?

I'm not looking for "This is the best book to change you life". Just an easy going discussion about how a book or two made your life a little more interesting.
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:38 AM   #2
RPribyl
RPribyl began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura One
Very interesting topic! Only thing I really have is reading books that involve my place of employment...but a book didn't get me to start working there. It's still interesting to read about the author's take on the Bureau of Prisons.
RPribyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2010, 11:39 AM   #3
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
My physics MCAT books got me back into quantum physics.... time travel... and writing.
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:43 AM   #4
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
Interested in prisons? Try "A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich" by Alexander Solzenhitsyn. Want to go a little farther, try this.
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:06 AM   #5
jonsbjons
Connoisseur
jonsbjons doesn't litterjonsbjons doesn't litter

Device: PBook301
I read in childhood, reread during all my life and gave to my child "Tom Sawyer" by Mark Twain, "Karlsson on the Roof" and "Pippi Longstocking, Astrid Lindgren, and especially the saga of Moomin Tove Jansson.
This is quite typical for people of Russia and the former Soviet Union, but I still have absolutely no idea what the popularity of these books in the world.
jonsbjons is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2010, 10:33 AM   #6
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I watched a few mini-series from Australia, which caused me/us to move here...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 05:06 PM   #7
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Bill Veeck's Veeck as in Wreck spurred me on to get a job in a minor league baseball front office.
GA Russell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 12:03 PM   #8
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Tracy Kidder's Soul of a New Machine led me to leave a safe, steady, somewhat boring job with Bell to join a project doing a new 'word processor' from AES (remember them?) just as the new IBM 'PC' spelled the death knell of single function computers. Of course, no dot matrix printer could have the quality of a good Daisy Wheel (tm?) printer with a specialized driver that could vary the hammer force for perfectly even black letters. Wow! Then came laser printers... oops. What a disaster that turned into!
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 10:19 PM   #9
jes1
Zealot
jes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enough

Device: Astak EZReader, Dell Axim x50v, iPod Touch, nook
Every time I have read the Harpercraft Hall series by Anne McCaffery I have started practicing my poor old dusty guitar and piano. Hmmm...I think it is time for a re-read of the series. I have not played in months.
jes1 is offline   Reply With Quote