Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-25-2009, 03:27 PM   #1
BlueYamoto
BlueYamoto began at the beginning.

Device: none
Potential buyer's question about epub.

I want to get a prs 300, but I'm starting to wonder on whether I should, due to the apparent problem with epub that people seem to be experiencing. I've read some threads here and I still don't have a clear idea as to how serous the problem is. Do most epubs from Sony's store have formatting problems? What kind of formatting problems are there? I can look past no spaces between paragraphs, but there has to be indentation, proper spelling(a rare error is ok), spoken dialoge with quotes, and probably some other stuff.
BlueYamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 05:17 PM   #2
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
I have a 300 (love it) and read PDF and epub most of the time. I do not buy from the Sony store (too pricey for me) as there are many good alternatives. But, I do not have any problems with epubs. I should say I have had no more problems with them, than any other ebook format. I have been reading ebooks for about 10 years (7 years on portable devices) and have found all formats will have strange formatting issuse from time to time. I remember buy Lord of the Rings from ereader.com in pdb format. It was so messed up I went and got a version off torrent just so I could read it.... So imho epub is as good as any, and may be becoming the standard.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2009, 05:41 AM   #3
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
I'm a fiction editor and partner in a small indie publishing house, so I'm a stickler for layout, design and format. Funny, though, how soon I became forgiving of some presentation hiccups when I started to read (recreationally, I mean, not for work) on a dedicated reading device early this year. I now quickly become absorbed in a 'book for fun' and am pretty well blind to any minor flaws that would have me tearing my hair out if I spotted them in any of my own 150 or so books. The little bloopers are more than compensated for by the sheer comfort of reading on my wee 505. Good luck. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 06:01 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
ePub is no more prone to formatting problems than any other format, in my experience. Generally all the formats come from the same original "source".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote