Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-01-2009, 03:46 PM   #1
ambertape
Enthusiast
ambertape began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Just received upgrade PRS-500

Might there be a list of improvments that Sony installed in their firmware ?
I read epub and Adobe pdf capabilities. I want to keep a list of tech articles on a sd card. Some of these articles were scanned and then saved as pdf file. Will the new version read scanned pdf files ?

Could I use a sd card larger than 2 GB in this reader ?

IS there a way to read small print in a larger size font ?

Any previous hacks for the old prs-500 applicable to this new firmware ?

Are there converters for files to be converted into epub format or pdf format ?

Could I transfer pdf files from computer into the prs-500 ?

Thanks

Last edited by ambertape; 12-01-2009 at 03:48 PM. Reason: forgot to ask a few additional questions
ambertape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:38 PM   #2
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
You don't ask too many questions do you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambertape View Post
Might there be a list of improvments that Sony installed in their firmware ?
There is. Somewhere. I'm slowly collating one in this wiki from reports (while I wait for mine to return..)PRS500 I'd also like to confirm that one can create collections on a Memory Stick/SD card now.
Quote:
I read epub and Adobe pdf capabilities. I want to keep a list of tech articles on a sd card. Some of these articles were scanned and then saved as pdf file. Will the new version read scanned pdf files ?
Your old one can view PDF documents too. The difference with this one is improved PDF functionality with PDF reflow capability (PDF zoom too?). The reflow capability really depends however on what you use to scan, how well the PDF file has been generated and whether it has good OCR. Adobe Reader/Acrobat support PDF reflow too, and the results of PDF reflow can be accurately previewed using the Sony software.
Quote:
Could I use a sd card larger than 2 GB in this reader ?
To my knowledge, it can't do SDHC but if you find a 4 GB SD card it theoretically should work. I should warn you however I'm a Memory Stick man myself.
Quote:
IS there a way to read small print in a larger size font ?
Selecting medium font size should kick in PDF reflow (assuming your particular PDF file has decent PDF reflow).
Quote:
Any previous hacks for the old prs-500 applicable to this new firmware ?
Thats a question I can't answer cause I'm not a hack man. But presumably new hacks will be needed; the firmware is radically different by all accounts.
Quote:
Are there converters for files to be converted into epub format or pdf format ?
Calibre can convert stuff tolerably well, and you can generate your own EPUB files with sigil
Quote:
Could I transfer pdf files from computer into the prs-500 ?
The last time I looked, transferring PDF files to the PRS-500 is a doddle with the Sony software. The next version of calibre will support the newly rejuvinated PRS-500s directly too.
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2009, 08:32 AM   #3
ambertape
Enthusiast

PRS-500 Dead

I received my PRS-500 upgrade on Monday, charged it up on Tuesday, went on once and the joy stick was stuck and nothing moved, so I charged it up again last night and the unit didn't turn on. It did try and turn on a second time but went off automatically. I tried it this morning and it is dead.

Anyone else having the same problems I am having ?

Thanks for your answers.

Anyone know who to contact to get RMA to return defective device ?
Old 12-02-2009, 02:52 PM   #4
taildragger-j3
Writer AND Reader
taildragger-j3 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Sorry ambertape. Mine has been working fine since it's come back. The joy stick won't turn pages any more (SOMEONE PLEASE RE-HACK THIS FOR US) but everything else is fine. I don't have the packing slips that came with the reader when Sony returned it with me here, but there was a number and an email address on it.

Sounds like you've got a battery problem.
taildragger-j3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:57 AM   #5
Willo142
Enthusiast
Willo142 began at the beginning.

Device: None
has anyone worked out why it had too be sent in? and not just updated the normal way?
Willo142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2009, 11:43 AM   #6
wyldkit
Connoisseur
wyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500 (until I have enough Sony Rewards points for the PRS-300)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willo142 View Post
has anyone worked out why it had too be sent in? and not just updated the normal way?
Nope, but they did clean my screen while they had it, for which I am most grateful.
wyldkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:48 PM   #7
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
I received my PRS-500 upgrade on Monday, charged it up on Tuesday, went on once and the joy stick was stuck and nothing moved, so I charged it up again last night and the unit didn't turn on. It did try and turn on a second time but went off automatically. I tried it this morning and it is dead.

Anyone else having the same problems I am having ?

Thanks for your answers.

Anyone know who to contact to get RMA to return defective device ?
Did you charge it using an ac charger? (The round yellow plug.) If not, try that first (charge for several hours).
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:40 PM   #8
Vienna01
Old Dog Learns New Tricks
Vienna01 doesn't litterVienna01 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-500,PocketBook 301, Sony 650
I got my PRS 500 back in less than a week. The battery was down, but that was fixed with a drink of unsweetened voltage[yes I known it really drinks mini-amps.].

Everything is OK so far. I haven't tried pdf reflow-that is next.
Vienna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:56 AM   #9
ambertape
Enthusiast

reflow

Please let me know how it works and the steps you did. I am curious because with the earlier version of firmware, the scanned pdf files never worked properly and to see the doc one had to wear glasses.

ambertape