Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-03-2009, 09:40 AM   #1
DebT
Enthusiast
DebT began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Conversion of books

Ok folks, I have had my 505 for just about 8+ weeks. I have only purchased books twice both times from sony. A bundle and one book. I love that bundle option almost as much as I love the omnibus created by folks here.
I am interested in some books at fictionwise and random house is releasing an ebook I want on the 14th I dont know if it will be in lrf but will want it anyways.
I would like to be able to convert some to lrf that are as close to the ones you folks create and release here on MR.
My questions if I choose calibre to load and do this conversion thing it means I have to get rid of the sony connect. How will I still purchase books from them if I want to do that? Is this conversion thing easy enough that I dont mess up my reader? I am not as computer savvy as some here. So all those code lines are making my head spin. Especially the whole DRM thing.
Is there a program that I can load and import my pdf or file and it loads it and poof I have an lrf that looks good???

Happy Reading!!!
DebT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 10:14 AM   #2
julia
Connoisseur
julia began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505, kindle2, nook glow
it is not allowed to give you directions through the forum.
i send you a personal message and will give you the directions i received from one of the forummembers.
julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2009, 01:23 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebT View Post
My questions if I choose calibre to load and do this conversion thing it means I have to get rid of the sony connect.
Nope... not at all. You can use both calibre and Sony Library with the 505. They only 1 or the other was a limitation with the PRS-500 and then you could only "transfer" books with one or the other. You could still USE both.

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 01-03-2009 at 01:34 PM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:33 PM   #4
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Or to put what Bob said another way, the Sony 505/700 does not have any conflicts between the Sony software and calibre. Only the 500 had these problems. The 500 problem with calibre is in the USB driver, you cannot have both the Sony and the calibre USB driver loaded at the same time on the same computer.

I solved this problem by having the Sony driver on one machine and the calibre driver on another. Since I have calibre loaded on both machines I use the Sony application (and USB driver) to transfer all books to the 500 on the first machine.

I hope this helps.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:16 AM   #5
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
You can also use Bookdesigner for the conversion, it has more options than Calibre and it is also better at converting PDF files.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2009, 07:27 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Nothing is all that good at creating a good conversion from PDF. Using Book Designer to convert PDF, not only do you have the problems with a PDF conversion to another forat, but you lose all the styles and any graphics. The best idea is to ignore PDF like it doesn't exist.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote