Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-12-2008, 01:02 PM   #1
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Open Office 3.0 released

Open office 3.0 will be released officially tomorrow October 13, 2008. However, I found some early links for people if they want to download it here:

http://lifehacker.com/5061691/openof...r-you#c8272370

and for Windows users:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_openoffice/

hidari
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 04:00 AM   #2
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And it is free!

Review Below:

http://www.examiner.com/x-529-SF-Tec...enOfficeorg-30

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
Open office 3.0 will be released officially tomorrow October 13, 2008. However, I found some early links for people if they want to download it here:

http://lifehacker.com/5061691/openof...r-you#c8272370

and for Windows users:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_openoffice/

hidari
Advert
Old 10-14-2008, 12:15 AM   #3
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
good price
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:44 AM   #4
hidari
MR Drone

I have used Open Office for years and am happy with it.

Another link from OPEN OFFICE:

http://www.openoffice.org/

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleDuke View Post
good price
Old 10-14-2008, 12:53 AM   #5
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I have used Open Office for years and am happy with it.
When I quit work, I took my laptop with me, but didn't get to take an MS Office license with me. That's okay, it finally gave me prompting to download Open Office. Although I don't use it all that often, I've been perfectly satisfied with it. I felt no jarring difference going from one to the other, and it does everything I need.

I haven't downloaded 3 yet. I got their followup email this morning saying that a lot of people had though...such a huge number that the servers had to have a stop-work meeting (I think that means a doughnut and a coffee ). They seem fine now though.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2008, 01:10 AM   #6
hidari
MR Drone

Good to know there is at least one other on MR who likes Open Office. Oh, By the by, Have you ever converted a document to PDF with open office and read it on your iLiad? I would assume it reads it well enough.

I read you can now Read DOCX on Open Office 3.0; however, you can not save it in .docx format. Also, it seems that the Open Document Text odt... which Microsoft will also include in Office 2007 by early next year is meant to be the epub of documents...I wonder if it will catch on.

hidari

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
When I quit work, I took my laptop with me, but didn't get to take an MS Office license with me. That's okay, it finally gave me prompting to download Open Office. Although I don't use it all that often, I've been perfectly satisfied with it. I felt no jarring difference going from one to the other, and it does everything I need.

I haven't downloaded 3 yet. I got their followup email this morning saying that a lot of people had though...such a huge number that the servers had to have a stop-work meeting (I think that means a doughnut and a coffee ). They seem fine now though.

Cheers,
Marc

Last edited by hidari; 10-14-2008 at 08:25 AM.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:25 AM   #7
hidari
MR Drone

small correction..sorry for the mistakes...

Quote:
Good to know there is at least one other on MR who likes Open Office. Oh, By the by, Have you ever converted a document to PDF with open office and read it on your iLiad? I would assume it reads it well enough.

I read you can now Read DOCX on Open Office 3.0; however, you can not save it in .docx format. Also, it seems that the Open Document Text .odt... which Microsoft will also include in Office 2007 by early next year is meant to be the epub of documents...I wonder if it will catch on. hope the links work.

hidari
Old 10-14-2008, 10:10 AM   #8
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Good to know there is at least one other on MR who likes Open Office.
Not the only one. I've been following it since it was Star Office.

Quote:
I read you can now Read DOCX on Open Office 3.0; however, you can not save it in .docx format.
That sounds about right. I expect saving in .docx format to follow soon enough.

Quote:
Also, it seems that the Open Document Text odt... which Microsoft will also include in Office 2007 by early next year is meant to be the epub of documents...I wonder if it will catch on.
We can hope. The last I knew, Microsoft was pushing their own XML based format as a standard, and meeting resistance.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:18 AM   #9
leandroide
Zealot
leandroide has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Papyre 6.1 (Hanlin V3)
Hi!

I am using it since it was StarOffice too!

An now, with 3.0 there is a MacOSX version that runs natively!. Before, you have to install X11...

L.
leandroide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:27 AM   #10
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
So, how is the Mac version? I have been using Neo Office, but their latest update did some stuff I did not like. Worth switching?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:08 AM   #11
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I've been using Open Office for a couple years. I like it.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:51 AM   #12
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
Quote:
Oh, By the by, Have you ever converted a document to PDF with open office and read it on your iLiad? I would assume it reads it well enough.
I've regularly used OOo to convert documents to PDF for my iLiad. I've got a template set up with the right page size and a font I like, and it's easy to paste in HTML or RTF or whatever. If I'm getting books from Baen, I routinely get the RTF version and turn it into an iLiad PDF.

Having said that, I've recently switched to Softmaker Office 2008, which, while it costs money (not much compared to MS products, and student discounts are available), is rather speedier than OOo, has equally good PDF export, and is more compatible with .doc files than OOo.
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:02 PM   #13
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by carandol View Post
I've regularly used OOo to convert documents to PDF for my iLiad. I've got a template set up with the right page size and a font I like, and it's easy to paste in HTML or RTF or whatever. If I'm getting books from Baen, I routinely get the RTF version and turn it into an iLiad PDF.

Having said that, I've recently switched to Softmaker Office 2008, which, while it costs money (not much compared to MS products, and student discounts are available), is rather speedier than OOo, has equally good PDF export, and is more compatible with .doc files than OOo.
I like OpenOffice 3.0, but I love Softmaker Office. I use it in my business, and have written several thousand professional appraisal documents with it since 2003. It is fast, full-featured, looks good, and you can even run the damn thing from a thumb drive.

Tim
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:03 PM   #14
leandroide
Zealot
leandroide has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Papyre 6.1 (Hanlin V3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
So, how is the Mac version? I have been using Neo Office, but their latest update did some stuff I did not like. Worth switching?
Well... I had NeoOffice too, but I had a disk problem in my macbook and I installed OpenOffice then.

Works well, no problem, nothing special to mention. I like it very much, but I liked NeoOffice too.

My suggestion: try it.

L.
leandroide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:12 PM   #15
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Not the only one. I've been following it since it was Star Office.

That sounds about right. I expect saving in .docx format to follow soon enough.

We can hope. The last I knew, Microsoft was pushing their own XML based format as a standard, and meeting resistance.
______
Dennis
I believe they have gotten office open accepted as a second standard. If you look at the wiki I have ODT and DOCX both with an example of a really small file. Lots of bloat in there.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote