Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-10-2012, 06:50 PM   #21151
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
[QUOTE=kindlekitten;2217559]I'm glad you are finding your grounding, just do me a favor... as a long time search and rescue volunteer, please always tell someone where you are going [/QUOTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
A note on the dash board can let thieves know how much time they have to rob your car. Calling some one and letting them know where you are hiking, when you are planning on leaving, and when you plan to return gives SAR information they need.

My younger brother got lucky. He was hiking with a friend and went off trail. The cliff gave way. He slid a longbway and free fell 30 feet. His friend had stayed on the trail and ran to get help. My aunt watched the rescue on TV. He was in the hospital for a week. It took over a year for him to fully heal.

If you can't go with someone make sure you Have someone ready to call if you are late getting back. The sooner people go looking for you the better off you are. You cannot guarantee that security will look at your dashboard for info.
But see guys, thats the whole point. I've got to do somethings by myself, without a 'safety net", or having to check in with anyone. Seems like for my whole life, I've been a wife, then mother, then grandmother, volunteer....caretaker....and I wouldn't change a moment.

But now its time to find out who Donna is. I have no clue right now.

I carry my phone, of course, make sure its fully charged, have ordered a daypack, will stock it with first aid crap, poncho, and all the goodies you are supposed to need in case of emergency.

Unlike some tourists, (and natives) I have common sense, am familiar with flash flood gullys, stay tuned to the weather, (altho that can change quickly here) and know to walk slowly and carefully.

I don't plan to go off the trails........at least not yet. Shoot, I can still get lost going to school. So I pay attention to whats around me.

There are lots of those big cell phone towers on top of the White Tanks, so connection isn't a problem..........usually.

Not looking to get bit by a snake, or break a leg and will be careful and take precautions..........but if it happens, at least it will have happened because I'm doing something!

Still at school everyday, all day, and thats a good thing too.

Love all you guys.

PS..........well, I guess I could text the daughter and let her know where I am once I get there..........
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:06 PM   #21152
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Just text her the geo coordinates, and unless she looks it up, she won't actually know where you are. But it would still help a search team, should the need arise!

I don't know anything about it, actually. I'm single too, and probably could get lost on the highway on my cross country trips to visit family. So we'll ask those who know more about it, whether the above is any good, as advice goes!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2012, 08:03 PM   #21153
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
DG, I appreciate your desire to 'do it yourself.' But just for those rare times when mishaps occur, (and perhaps cell phone coverage isn't the best,) please carry a loud 'referee's' whistle that you can find in any sporting goods store. Damn things are LOUD!!! Should something happen, you can only shout for about two or three minutes before your throat gives out and you can only whisper. But you can blow a whistle for several days... It's just plain foolish to be down with a broken ankle 20 yards off the trail, hear the search party walking past, and NOT be able to let them know you're there. And you don't have to give up your independence by carrying one.

BTW... the International Distress signal with a whistle is THREE blasts followed by one minute pause, then another THREE blasts. Repeat until you get a response.

Stitchawl

Last edited by Stitchawl; 09-10-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:34 PM   #21154
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
i never knew that before :O
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:18 PM   #21155
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

... let me amend that to; unless you are a military Drill Sargent or the mother of a teenager. That gives you a few extra minutes.

There are actually louder whistle available, such as The Storm Whistle, but those are not as easy to find. I keep one of these attached to my scuba vest in case we drift too far from the dive boat to be seen for pick-up. The muli-toned blast of the Fox Ref's whistle is loud enough for all practical purposes and can be found everywhere.

Stitchawl

Last edited by Stitchawl; 09-10-2012 at 10:23 PM.
Advert
Old 09-10-2012, 10:52 PM   #21156
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Actually, the Storm appears to be sold on Amazon; check out http://www.stormwhistles.com/onlinestoreindex.html which in turn links to Amazon.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:28 AM   #21157
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Actually, the Storm appears to be sold on Amazon; check out http://www.stormwhistles.com/onlinestoreindex.html which in turn links to Amazon.
That's the one. It's the loudest whistle on the market today. They make two different models; the Storm and the Windstorm. The Storm puts out almost 120db and the Windstorm 106db. We have Storms clipped to our BCDs. It's touted to even work underwater, so we tried it at 30m down. You can certainly hear it!!

But... it take a LOT of breath to blast out the full sound of the Storm. The Fox Referee Whistle is not quite as loud (I think it's 98db) but it's a lot easier to blow for long periods of time.

For less than $7.00 for the Storm, or $4 for the Fox, it's the cheapest and best insurance you can carry... in the woods, late night city streets, or anyplace you need to be heard!

Stitchawl
Old 09-11-2012, 01:46 AM   #21158
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
But see guys, thats the whole point. I've got to do somethings by myself, without a 'safety net", or having to check in with anyone. Seems like for my whole life, I've been a wife, then mother, then grandmother, volunteer....caretaker....and I wouldn't change a moment.

Just do it! It's a great idea, and mishaps can happen everywhere. I wish you a great time finding this out.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:49 AM   #21159
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
[QUOTE=desertgrandma;2217850]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I'm glad you are finding your grounding, just do me a favor... as a long time search and rescue volunteer, please always tell someone where you are going [/QUOTE

Terrific advice.

I would say that that is a wonderful record.

.Just do not put yourself in danger trying to find yourself. Also personally, I feel that your daughter has to have an idea in which general direction you are heading

I carry my phone, of course, make sure its fully charged, have ordered a daypack, will stock it with first aid crap, poncho, and all the goodies you are supposed to need in case of emergency.

Unlike some tourists, (and natives) I have common sense, am familiar with flash flood gullys, stay tuned to the weather, (altho that can change quickly here) and know to walk slowly and carefully.

I don't plan to go off the trails........at least not yet. Shoot, I can still get lost going to school. So I pay attention to whats around me.

There are lots of those big cell phone towers on top of the White Tanks, so connection isn't a problem..........usually.

Not looking to get bit by a snake, ( Oh, good) or break a leg (even better) and will be careful and take precautions..........but if it happens, at least it will have happened because I'm doing something!

Ever thought about a new Aston Martin convertible, and a toy-boy?
Still at school everyday, all day, and thats a good thing too. the grieving

Love all you guys.

PS..........well, I guess I could text the daughter and let her know where I am once I get there..........
I read all of the above in horror, and a large degree of admiration. I have been there and done the grieving: all stages of it. It's a s**tty process whilst you are pulling all of the pieces of YOU together again.

Donna, take all precautions Lovey, and let us have you back in one piece again.

Cheers.

Last edited by nohmi2; 09-11-2012 at 02:51 AM.
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:10 AM   #21160
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post

BTW... the International Distress signal with a whistle is THREE blasts followed by one minute pause, then another THREE blasts. Repeat until you get a response.

Stitchawl
Oh, I thought one's expected to whistle SOS. Everyday there's something new to learn.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:06 AM   #21161
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
Oh, I thought one's expected to whistle SOS. Everyday there's something new to learn.
I'm sure that would work too, but groups of three (three whistles, three firearm shots, three horn honks, three fires in a triangle, three piles of stones, etc.,) is the International signal and easier to use.

Stitchawl
Old 09-11-2012, 10:58 AM   #21162
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
DG, I appreciate your desire to 'do it yourself.' But just for those rare times when mishaps occur, (and perhaps cell phone coverage isn't the best,) please carry a loud 'referee's' whistle that you can find in any sporting goods store. Damn things are LOUD!!! Should something happen, you can only shout for about two or three minutes before your throat gives out and you can only whisper. But you can blow a whistle for several days... It's just plain foolish to be down with a broken ankle 20 yards off the trail, hear the search party walking past, and NOT be able to let them know you're there. And you don't have to give up your independence by carrying one.

Stitchawl
You are awesome. Great idea and I did not know that!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Thanks for this.......have ordered..........with a lanyard! (in dayglo orange yet!)
[QUOTE=nohmi2;2218238]
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post

I read all of the above in horror, and a large degree of admiration. I have been there and done the grieving: all stages of it. It's a s**tty process whilst you are pulling all of the pieces of YOU together again.

Donna, take all precautions Lovey, and let us have you back in one piece again.

Cheers.
Why "horror", nohmi?

Quote:
I'm sure that would work too, but groups of three (three whistles, three firearm shots, three horn honks, three fires in a triangle, three piles of stones, etc.,) is the International signal and easier to use.

Stitchawl
Did not know that either!

Okay.....lets understand one thing. I"m not off to un explored areas of the Amazon. My trips will be day trips only. On marked paths. Supposing I can read the marked paths.

I am doing research with the regional parks people to learn what I can.

All of your advice, however, is being taken to heart, I've ordered the whistle, memorized the distress signal, and have been a cops wife for 23 years so I am aware of my surroundings at all times whilst out. I have a lovely BenchMade knife, another form of protection, and lately I've been thinking of a taser.

Mountain Lions have been sighted, and while I"ve no desire to hurt any animal, or human, but if its me or them it will be them. Provided I keep my pitiful wits about me.

At least with a taser they'll go down long enough for me to run...............even weighed down with all my 'survival equipment!

Good think I've lost 20 lbs........
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:17 PM   #21163
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
http://www.androidauthority.com/appl...ebsite-113954/

They're after grocery stores now...
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:18 PM   #21164
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
The Storm whistles are only $5.99 at Amazon. I was going to buy one for my wife to keep on her keychain, but she "doesn't need one." And I know if I bought her one anyway, she wouldn't carry it.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:21 PM   #21165
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I just bought one anyway. Maybe after the need arises, she won't be so reluctant to wear it next time. Prime free shipping, BTW.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness