Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-16-2008, 06:33 AM   #1
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
New DR1000S Card Restore file

There is a new , 16th Oct, DR1000 card restore zip file, for download on the irex website.
Let's see what this brings.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 07:04 AM   #2
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

And on using it I got a "new update for your PC" downloaded.
My merge now works in the writepads, but still nowhere else? And the icons in teh companion software has changed.

Haven't checked anything else yet.
Advert
Old 10-17-2008, 12:26 PM   #3
cjp
Zealot
cjp began at the beginning.

Device: HP Slate 500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3G+Wi-Fi, Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pthwaite View Post
There is a new , 16th Oct, DR1000 card restore zip file, for download on the irex website.
Let's see what this brings.
Where did you find the card restore zip for Oct 16? I looked under iRex support and can only find the Oct 9 version. And unlike Howard, mine did not update when I put the SD card in my computer.
Hmmm.
cjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 12:46 PM   #4
dhill
Connoisseur
dhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to behold

Device: iPad 2, Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire HD
If you click on the link to the Oct 9th file, you will see that the modified date is Oct 16th. If you are running from the card, make sure you are running UpdateiRex.exe. This worked for me.
dhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 12:55 PM   #5
cjp
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhill View Post
If you click on the link to the Oct 9th file, you will see that the modified date is Oct 16th. If you are running from the card, make sure you are running UpdateiRex.exe. This worked for me.
I'm downloading it now. Thanks!
Advert
Old 10-17-2008, 02:11 PM   #6
pthwaite
Fanatic

Make sure you download the latest as it will update the firmware which you will see when you disconnect your DR1000s. (on disconnecting and waiting a short while it reboots & updates the firmware)
Old 10-17-2008, 02:21 PM   #7
cjp
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pthwaite View Post
Make sure you download the latest as it will update the firmware which you will see when you disconnect your DR1000s. (on disconnecting and waiting a short while it reboots & updates the firmware)
Always good to careful, isn't it? I double checked both SD cards after I downloaded the update and unzipped it. When I right clicked on several things, such as the 'metadata.db' it shows modified Oct 16, as do other .db files. Thanks.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:38 PM   #8
dlb
dlb began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp View Post
Always good to careful, isn't it? I double checked both SD cards after I downloaded the update and unzipped it. When I right clicked on several things, such as the 'metadata.db' it shows modified Oct 16, as do other .db files. Thanks.
There is no new firmware. What you are downloading is a version of the companion software. Check your device and you will see. Now, i have downloaded the firmware for device. Copy the SD card to your a local drive and click on updateirex. It will then download the firmware in the System folder and place it in a folder called "update". The update folder contains autoinstall, kernel.bin, rootfs.bin, and update. dat.
All files have 9/29/2008 5:29 pm date modified except autoinstall which has a 10/3/2008 date. The s/w firmware for my device is Build 1000 (200809291727), Kernel 2.6.24 (1000), Micro App:.31
dlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 06:29 PM   #9
cjp
Zealot

I think it did update it

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlb View Post
There is no new firmware. What you are downloading is a version of the companion software. Check your device and you will see. Now, i have downloaded the firmware for device. Copy the SD card to your a local drive and click on updateirex. It will then download the firmware in the System folder and place it in a folder called "update". The update folder contains autoinstall, kernel.bin, rootfs.bin, and update. dat.
All files have 9/29/2008 5:29 pm date modified except autoinstall which has a 10/3/2008 date. The s/w firmware for my device is Build 1000 (200809291727), Kernel 2.6.24 (1000), Micro App:.31
Well, I think it still might have updated. I downloaded the file from iRex and saved it to a folder on my desktop, label new card contents, Oct 16. Next, I unzipped the file which created a new folder. I opened that folder, selected "All" and "sent them to my SD card. I received a message saying these items were already there, replace them? I clicked yes.
Then, I removed the iRexDR1000 Companion (Safely remove hardware).
Then restarted it.
This is when I received an iRex type popup informing me that there was a new update (something of that sort - I did not write the message down), did I want to install it? I said yes, it showed downloading the update, then installing it. Soon, it was done and the window closed.

So, I think it did install it. Am I correct, or do I still need to follow what you wrote above?
Old 10-17-2008, 07:17 PM   #10
dlb
dlb began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp View Post
Well, I think it still might have updated. I downloaded the file from iRex and saved it to a folder on my desktop, label new card contents, Oct 16. Next, I unzipped the file which created a new folder. I opened that folder, selected "All" and "sent them to my SD card. I received a message saying these items were already there, replace them? I clicked yes.
Then, I removed the iRexDR1000 Companion (Safely remove hardware).
Then restarted it.
This is when I received an iRex type popup informing me that there was a new update (something of that sort - I did not write the message down), did I want to install it? I said yes, it showed downloading the update, then installing it. Soon, it was done and the window closed.

So, I think it did install it. Am I correct, or do I still need to follow what you wrote above?
No don't follow what i wrote. i accidentally discovered my way upon running the s/w from my local computer. Goto you settings and click about Irex. Your s/w version and build number should be exactly like mind. Same as kernel.

Yesterday i posted on irex that a new firmware version was available, then i deleted the post because nothing changed and i could not get it to download again so i wasn't sure what was happening.

Last edited by dlb; 10-17-2008 at 07:19 PM.
dlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 07:34 PM   #11
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man
allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo, Nook Classic,Color,ST/Glow, iRex DR1000, Sony 505, REB1100&1200
There is a minor update to PC Companion software, but except for slightly larger icons there are no discernible differences, as pthwaite wrote. (it's still V1.0)

UPDATE: The "Merge" is much improved! I guess I jumped the gun
It's still kinda ugly with black bars replacing the strokes BUT they are scaled correctly, so now it's actually USABLE. Still PDF only, no support for images.

As for any firmware update: this may or may not have occured on some readers, but if the firmware #s are what dlb wrote, they are the same as the ones that came pre-installed on the reader (you can check the screenshot in my "Unboxing" thread) So nothing new there either.

UPDATE: It seems the slightly newer PC Companion update checks for the firmware now. If it is launched from the reader, nothing happens for now (it's the same #). If it is launched from a cardreader, it's not able to match up the firmware #, so it starts (re)downloading it on the card. When you then insert the card in the reader, it will initiate a firmware "upgrade" (see photo), but all the #s remain the same as stated above.

metadata.db files are not much to go by since they are constantly being updated by the reader and presumably the PC Companion software.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BlurryUpdate.png
Views:	358
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	17132  

Last edited by allovertheglobe; 10-17-2008 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Update
allovertheglobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 06:08 AM   #12
pthwaite
Fanatic

One way to force the firmware is to delete the dr1000.ini file. (it re-creates it) The updates though are a 2 stage process. It does one, the until you disconnect & re-connect it will then do the other & re-check the firmware again.

As I mention elsewhere, in my case, the merge now only works on my writepads & nowhere else, but at least it works somewhere. Why does everyone else's Merge work?

The pen response is much improved. (faster & follows you better).
Old 10-18-2008, 09:47 AM   #13
cjp
Zealot

Function Extension Slot

I did not want to start a new thread...but I was wondering, What exactly is the "Function Extension Slot?" I see it on my DR1000S, but there is no real information about it.
Old 10-18-2008, 03:11 PM   #14
pthwaite
Fanatic

I dare say it's to give a possible future expansion or to allow irex quick access for diagnostics if a DR is returned. At present it isn't for the user so that's why there is no mention.
Old 10-18-2008, 03:45 PM   #15
cjp
Zealot

Yes, that makes sense.