Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-01-2013, 07:59 AM   #901
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@antithesis: AFAIR, netwatchd explicitly doesn't do anything over USB and/or port 22. I've never run into any trouble on my k2i (which runs 2.5.8, same thing as a DX, IIRC) [Over SSH, that is, can't speak for telnet, though, I never use it for more than a couple seconds].
Some of the firmwares have an activity monitor.
Not sure if the DX does, but those that do support a "flag" filename to turn it off.
I don't recall what that name is, but it should be posted here, somewhere.

I also recall reports of the automation in some Linux distributions that have a similar activity monitor.
GeekMaster used to have that trouble and posted a solution for his Linux distribution I believe.

On my distribution, which uses NetworkManager - -
I added a configuration file entry:
in: /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf
Code:
[main]
plugins=ifupdown,keyfile

no-auto-default=00:e0:4c:03:50:1d,

[ifupdown]
managed=false
The ifupdown clause of managed=false is what I added.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #902
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@knc1: Yep, FW 2.x indeed does, but it's nice enough to not drop anything on port 22 (and it even logs it ).

Good point on NM, I don't use it myself, so I always forget about it... (On the other hand, I'm "enjoying" udev's new naming scheme for network devices... (systemd-udevd[7866]: renamed network interface usb0 to enp0s29f1u2) *sigh*).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2013, 12:43 PM   #903
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@knc1: Yep, FW 2.x indeed does, but it's nice enough to not drop anything on port 22 (and it even logs it ).

Good point on NM, I don't use it myself, so I always forget about it... (On the other hand, I'm "enjoying" udev's new naming scheme for network devices... (systemd-udevd[7866]: renamed network interface usb0 to enp0s29f1u2) *sigh*).
Oh, what fun and games.

At least they don't rename the interfaces a, b, c, d, ... like the stuff ixtab has to deal with.

I will take your note as a warning not to update my gateway machine anytime soon.
I have some custom udev rules that rename my gateway machine's interfaces to: lan0, lan1, wan0, mod0 ....
Which means something to me (and my routing/firewall scripting).
I could never remember what enp0s29f1u2 is plugged into.

But back to the question:
NiLuJe says his DX does not time-out disconnect on him -
Mine does not time-out disconnect on the host side -

@antithesis: I guess we don't have a clue why yours does.

Well, unless it isn't - -
You might just be pinging the wrong end of the cable while having the wrong IP address pair setup for the USBnetworking.

Use nmap on that interface range that you expect the kindle to be on, see where it finds it at (probably not at the address you are expecting).
Old 07-01-2013, 11:58 PM   #904
toanquoctran96
toanquoctran96 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Yeah. it was the config.xml line endings. Please run dos2unix over your config files before releasing them in the future mate

IN FACT IF ANYONE HAS ANY DOUBTS ABOUT THEIR FILES??? RUN THIS OVER THEM

EDIT: Although it shouldn't matter now... The parser will fix it up : )

Thanks for testing.

Attached some files that are useful (many of them only work on KT <5.3.2) - and annoying to get hold of.
i don't know where i put them, i couldn't find the /mnt/us/extensions folder
please help me
toanquoctran96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:38 AM   #905
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by toanquoctran96 View Post
i don't know where i put them, i couldn't find the /mnt/us/extensions folder
please help me
You can only see the internal path when running a terminal on the kindle (ssh, telnet, whatever).

The root of the external, USB storage area is known internally as /mnt/us

Connect your Kindle usb cable to your PC -
Whatever your PC calls that root (depends on the PC OS), you will find a folder named:
/documents
I.E: that folder you load your books into.

Right alongside of it you (might) find a folder named:
/extensions
If you don't find:
/documents
/extensions
. . . . other stuff . . . .

In the root of the USB storage area, then create a folder by that name (extensions).
Right there -
put'em in that /extensions folder.
Advert
Old 07-05-2013, 09:21 AM   #906
fijimunkii
fijimunkii began at the beginning.

Device: k3w
Quote:
Originally Posted by antithesis View Post
any help would be appreciated.
I'm still having date/time issues. Back when I was set on using KUAL, I managed to change it for the session, long enough to install KUAL. But, unfortunately, like you said, restarting the device undoes this work.

My favorite KUAL tool is BBB, which for some reason I must apply manually / with a script. When I apply it with KUAL it kills my Wifi. Not sure why.
fijimunkii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:41 AM   #907
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by fijimunkii View Post
I'm still having date/time issues. Back when I was set on using KUAL, I managed to change it for the session, long enough to install KUAL. But, unfortunately, like you said, restarting the device undoes this work.

My favorite KUAL tool is BBB, which for some reason I must apply manually / with a script. When I apply it with KUAL it kills my Wifi. Not sure why.
Well, if I can get in touch with the author . . . .
(I should see him today, in the mirror sometime.)

Request for clarification:
"it kills my Wifi" - ???

Do you mean that it breaks your use of the "Free Wifi Access Points" ?
That is an expected result of the BBB filter because use of a "Free" Wifi access point requires the Kindle to contact Amazon for the information needed by the provider of the "Free" access point.
(I.E: The provider needs to know who's account to bill. )

Do you mean that it breaks your use of Wifi to connect to your own (private) access point?
Shouldn't happen, but then, again, duh . . . .

Do you mean that it disables the Wifi on your Kindle?
Shouldn't happen, but . . . .

With the above "breaks my Wifi" details PLUS the firmware version you are running and the first four characters of your serial number - - -
I will try to duplicate your problem on my own K3.

PS: Is this a SO (special offers) Kindle?

Note: This is the first trouble report on the BBB filter - so it may take me some time to discover why this is happening to you.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:28 PM   #908
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

To answer knc1

(Don't mind the broken up/right arrows, that's due to the crappy unicode coverage of my custom Sans font)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-42745.gif
Views:	251
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	107925  
Old 07-09-2013, 08:06 AM   #909
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
To answer knc1

(Don't mind the broken up/right arrows, that's due to the crappy unicode coverage of my custom Sans font)
Thanks!

Looks very usable to me.
(At least the pic doesn't say: "SegFault" anywhere. )

That earns the K2 a: "K2: status" field in the (to be) new button blob template.

PS:
Considering your current country, that font file may be ISO 8859-15 rather than Unicode.
OR
It is just (mis-) using U+00A4 for "replacement character".

Ref:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wester...28computing%29

(No, I don't normally have that info on the top of my bookmarks stack - I just happen to be working on a custom Unicode parser this week.)

OR
Your "custom font file" has a Windows ancestry:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wester...uting%29#Notes
(Note where Microsoft has re-defined the glyphs used in "iso 8859-1" to be compatible with their systems. I.E: If you can't get it right, change the standard.)

Last edited by knc1; 07-09-2013 at 08:50 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:07 AM   #910
NiLuJe
BLAM!

That did lead me to wonder: do the arrows work on a DX? Because I use the exact same font on my K3, and the arrows work there, but then FW 3.x has a much larger Unicode coverage through the code2000 font (or droidfallback in my case).

I'll try with the default fonts to make sure...

EDIT: Well, crap. No shiny arrows with the default fonts, either. I'll fire up fontforge...

EDIT²: x-ref: https://bitbucket.org/ixtab/kindlela...-graphic-on-k2

EDIT^3: One very dirty workaround later...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-13000.gif
Views:	267
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	107933   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-745.gif
Views:	237
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	107943  

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-09-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:10 PM   #911
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
That did lead me to wonder: do the arrows work on a DX? Because I use the exact same font on my K3, and the arrows work there, but then FW 3.x has a much larger Unicode coverage through the code2000 font (or droidfallback in my case).

I'll try with the default fonts to make sure...

EDIT: Well, crap. No shiny arrows with the default fonts, either. I'll fire up fontforge...

EDIT²: x-ref: https://bitbucket.org/ixtab/kindlela...-graphic-on-k2

EDIT^3: One very dirty workaround later...
Hehe... I *knew* that giving you write access to the repository would make you provide some useful stuff

Thanks! (I'll also look into it soon and refactor a bit, I think).
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:23 PM   #912
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@ixtab: Sneaky!

Yeah, I'd be grateful for a good look at it from a pair of eyes which actually knows what/how Java code is supposed to look like/work ^^ (hence the name of my branch ;D).

Speaking of: Is there a good reason anymore to split the prereq in two update packages (certs & kindlet jb)? I dimly remember it being that way because no-one knew if the Kindlet jb actually worked on other/older devices, but that's not the case anymore.

tl;dr: That, and I was bored yesterday, so: there.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-11-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:19 PM   #913
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@ixtab: Sneaky!

Yeah, I'd be grateful for a good look at it from a pair of eyes which actually knows what/how Java code is supposed to look like/work ^^ (hence the name of my branch ;D).
np

First things first: where did you find those KindleKeyCodes.VK_(LEFT|RIGHT)_HAND_SIDE_TURN_PAGE _BACK constants? I.e, which kindlet-*.jar version? I'm using Kindlet-1.2.jar (which is probably from a K3) here, and they're not defined...

Quote:
Speaking of: Is there a good reason anymore to split the prereq in two update packages (certs & kindlet jb)? I dimly remember it being that way because no-one knew if the Kindlet jb actually worked on other/older devices, but that's not the case anymore.

tl;dr: That, and I was bored yesterday, so: there.
It's mostly because they are completely orthogonal in terms of what they do and provide. While all of "my" Kindlets require the Kindlet JB, many others don't. I don't feel like forcing the Kindlet JB on people just because they need the developer certs, and I also don't feel like imposing "our" certificates on people who may have their own custom keystore, and only require the Kindlet JB for whichever reason.

Plus, when you unregister your device, the dev certs are deleted, but the KJB stays, while when you upgrade the firmware, the dev certs stay, but the KJB gets deleted. So as said, they're really two completely independent and orthogonal things - the only thing they really have in common is that both are required.

It may be mildly annoying to have to install both, because it requires 3 more minutes and one more reboot, but I still think it's worth the clear separation. That said, I'm not in the slightest against providing a "two-in-one" installer as an alternative
Old 07-11-2013, 01:45 PM   #914
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
First things first: where did you find those KindleKeyCodes.VK_(LEFT|RIGHT)_HAND_SIDE_TURN_PAGE _BACK constants? I.e, which kindlet-*.jar version? I'm using Kindlet-1.2.jar (which is probably from a K3) here, and they're not defined...
Kindlet-1.3, from a K4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
It's mostly because they are completely orthogonal in terms of what they do and provide. While all of "my" Kindlets require the Kindlet JB, many others don't. I don't feel like forcing the Kindlet JB on people just because they need the developer certs, and I also don't feel like imposing "our" certificates on people who may have their own custom keystore, and only require the Kindlet JB for whichever reason.

Plus, when you unregister your device, the dev certs are deleted, but the KJB stays, while when you upgrade the firmware, the dev certs stay, but the KJB gets deleted. So as said, they're really two completely independent and orthogonal things - the only thing they really have in common is that both are required.

It may be mildly annoying to have to install both, because it requires 3 more minutes and one more reboot, but I still think it's worth the clear separation. That said, I'm not in the slightest against providing a "two-in-one" installer as an alternative
That's a perfectly good point .
Old 07-11-2013, 02:01 PM   #915
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Kindlet-1.3, from a K4.
Hmm... but that will then crash and burn on a K3. It really will. Even if they're just constant integers, these things are not "inlined" during Java compilation, but they're stored as references to the field names. At runtime, Java will try to look it up, and fail with some funky runtime error on K3's...

Fortunately, for this particular case, there's a simple solution: hard-code the integer value (and explain in a comment what it is).

Since I'm heavily messing around in your branch right now (not because of your code, but because there is a terrible lot of code duplication between KualLabel and KualButton, which I'm refactoring and will be committing when it's ready): can you just post those two constants here please? I'll insert them accordingly.

That said, it may well make sense for *all* devs to switch to the lowest common denominator, maybe a kindlet-*.jar from a K2 (if we are to support that model too). If so, do you mind giving me a hint where I can get one?

Tags
kindle touch, kindle touch hacks, kindlet, kual, launcher, launcher add-ons, paperwhite, sqlite, unified