Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-19-2012, 05:28 PM   #31
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah68 View Post
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." A Einstien
On of my all time favorite quotes.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:13 PM   #32
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
My perfect ereader would be a cross between my K3 and the Paperwhite - all the Paperwhite features, plus side buttons, plus text to speech. oh, and Calibre-modified collections. Other than that, I can pretty much make my k3 do what I want it to do, although I'm hoping for a PW for Christmas.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2012, 06:23 PM   #33
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
Sounds like you're using the wrong device.
That's exactly what I thought when I read the OP. I have never ever EVER had a Kindle freeze or crash on me, but that post alone makes me wonder about Kobo reliability.

I am extremely satisfied with my Kindle Paperwhite, but I may still upgrade next year, because I expect them to come out with something else I will just need to get. Rollable color eink? Super thin flexible display? A Kindle that rubs my feet while I read? Dunno, but I will probably want it, even though I never asked for any of these improvements

Last edited by xendula; 12-19-2012 at 06:27 PM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:56 PM   #34
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Font/display choices and a browser are core reader features for me, not bells and whistles. I couldn't stand to stare at Cecaelia for hours. If you can, more power to you. A browser is needed to connect to Calibre content server, to Dropbox, and to Project Gutenberg.

The one feature I'd quite like is an old one that's disappearing, not a new and fancy one: page turn buttons.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:02 PM   #35
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I couldn't stand to stare at Cecaelia for hours.
Seriously, then how did you manage in the paper era? Did you pick books based on the typeface?
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2012, 08:23 PM   #36
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
All I want in an ereader is the ability to easily read my books. Ti store as many books as I want and the ability to easily search for specific books. Oh, and a nice dictionary.
Apache
Agreed. Single use devices are better at their task, and ultimately more reliable and cheaper. I don't even use the few features I have at my disposal, like shelves or social integration, but the dictionary is a must.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #37
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
I am on my 4th iteration.
is the same as my first which had accident
a used keyboard kindle with wonderful page turn buttons and 3G if needed.

2nd and 3rd iteration lesser kindles given to family
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:16 PM   #38
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
My perfect ereader would be a cross between my K3 and the Paperwhite - all the Paperwhite features, plus side buttons, plus text to speech.
This.

Also the ability to copy and paste to the search function in the K3, and the ease at which you can turn the WiFi on / off.

I still am using my K3 for the commute for TTS & for reading at lunch. When home I use the PW. Whispersync is amazing.

Tomorrow I am opening my Kindle Fire 2 that's been sitting on my desk since Cyber Monday as it's my bday. I really doubt I'll be reading books on it, but hey that's always an option.

Last edited by copyrite; 12-19-2012 at 09:18 PM.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:55 PM   #39
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
Seriously, then how did you manage in the paper era? Did you pick books based on the typeface?
I often chose to not buy books based on not liking the font
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:56 PM   #40
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
I've never seen a paper book set in Caecelia, have you?

Printed books tend to have very good typography, great attention to detail (kerning etc), and very readable if uninteresting fonts. And yes - I have from time to time had paper books that were an exception, that I've barely got through or even left unfinished because of bad typography.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:31 PM   #41
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I've never seen a paper book set in Caecelia, have you?
Don't know, but I'll take your word about that font not being used for paper books.

My slight preference for book form factor is a large print hardback, but the library selection is pretty small.

My least favorite form factor is a library book where rebinding has reduced the inside page margins to almost zero, but since, relatively speaking, beggars can't be choosers, I'll read it anyway.

I have to admit that I do have a font preference when it comes to writing a business email -- Georgia 12.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 12-19-2012 at 10:33 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:29 AM   #42
Tacty
Zealot
Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One/Kobo Touch/iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
That's exactly what I thought when I read the OP. I have never ever EVER had a Kindle freeze or crash on me, but that post alone makes me wonder about Kobo reliability.
fair enough. i have never have any first hand experience with anything else but kobo and it makes me thinking...kobo reliability and stability of software looks amateurish compared to other ebook readers? but, reading some other threds no ebr is free of its own problems including various software bugs...
Tacty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:52 AM   #43
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Kindle is extremely stable and bug-free, but the Kobo does have more options to allow you to tweak the appearance of your book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:59 AM   #44
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah68 View Post
On my Kindle Paperwhite, i simply touch and hold the word and the definition appears.
Nothing could be simpler
I actually think it is faster and as simple to use the buttons on my Kindle non-touch (WiFi) or whatever its name is. At least I like that method much better than the dictionary lookup method on my Bookeen touch reader.

So I really hope that non-touch readers will continue to be available since they fit me better (I make less pageturns by mistake with non-touch readers).
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:02 AM   #45
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I actually think it is faster and as simple to use the buttons on my Kindle non-touch (WiFi) or whatever its name is. At least I like that method much better than the dictionary lookup method on my Bookeen touch reader.
Having used both touch and non-touch Kindles, dictionary lookup is MUCH easier on the touch models. Just tap and hold the word for about half a second, lift your finger, and the definition appears at the bottom or top of the screen. Of course there are other reasons to choose the non-touch Kindle if you prefer to use physical buttons to turn the page!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote