Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-29-2012, 07:52 PM   #31
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Me too
Me too two (no wait, three). Dumb phone = less stuff to malfunction. They're cheaper upfront therefore I don't worry too much about pitching it and getting another one if I start having problems.

Last edited by TimW; 08-29-2012 at 09:48 PM. Reason: removed redundant "stuff" :D
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:40 PM   #32
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
Me too two (no wait, three). Dumb phone = less stuff stuff to malfunction. They're cheaper upfront therefore I don't worry too much about pitching it and getting another one if I start having problems.
I never have a problem with my dumb phone, which leads me to wonder why I am even considering getting a smartphone .
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2012, 09:53 PM   #33
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
I never have a problem with my dumb phone, which leads me to wonder why I am even considering getting a smartphone .
If it ain't broke...

throw it against a wall - or just drop it a couple of times...
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:55 PM   #34
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
Absolutely yes. Anytime I'm tempted to buy one, I think "Wait...I don't even like talking to people on the phone. Why do I want to spend beaucoup bucks for a device I won't enjoy using?"
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:00 AM   #35
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
If Samsung came up with all the ideas for the iPhone before Apple, why didn't Samsung produce the iPhone? Or a phone even a tenth as innovative? For years?
Assuming that Samsung came up with the ideas, there are any number of reasons why they didn't produce the iPhone. It takes a lot more than innovation to make a product successful. Marketability, both to the consumer and distribution channels, is a major factor. For devices such as smart phones, having the infrastructure in place matters a lot too (e.g. cellular networks capable of handling the bandwidth).

I am also getting tired of people claiming that Apple is innovative. They do things better than many of their competitors, especially with respect to marketing, and to a lesser degree with product development. Yet I would be hard pressed to call putting components from other vendors, for their intended purposes, innovative. Even the designs aren't terribly innovative. Most of the software UI elements have existed for decades or were implemented ad hoc. Things like case designs have more to do with trends and constraints placed by engineering considerations than anything else.
Advert
Old 08-30-2012, 02:12 AM   #36
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
If it ain't broke...

Even then it won't break lol

Quote:
Absolutely yes. Anytime I'm tempted to buy one, I think "Wait...I don't even like talking to people on the phone. Why do I want to spend beaucoup bucks for a device I won't enjoy using?"

indeed. I fancy myself as a 'creative' person that can use the Note to its fullest lol. I also imagine I will jot notes on it when in reality doing so in an actual notebook is faster and less stressful

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
Assuming that Samsung came up with the ideas, there are any number of reasons why they didn't produce the iPhone. It takes a lot more than innovation to make a product successful. Marketability, both to the consumer and distribution channels, is a major factor. For devices such as smart phones, having the infrastructure in place matters a lot too (e.g. cellular networks capable of handling the bandwidth).

I am also getting tired of people claiming that Apple is innovative. They do things better than many of their competitors, especially with respect to marketing, and to a lesser degree with product development. Yet I would be hard pressed to call putting components from other vendors, for their intended purposes, innovative. Even the designs aren't terribly innovative. Most of the software UI elements have existed for decades or were implemented ad hoc. Things like case designs have more to do with trends and constraints placed by engineering considerations than anything else.
That's the magic of marketing
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:58 AM   #37
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
If Samsung came up with all the ideas for the iPhone before Apple, why didn't Samsung produce the iPhone? Or a phone even a tenth as innovative? For years?
Management

Ever try and get the 'Higher ups' to sign off on a product (development)?

1977, I tried to get Fairchild (my employer at the time) to make a digital volume/balance control chip to replace the ganged (fraught with tracking problems), resistive potentiometer level controls found on consumer audio devices. No Go.
Try and find a device today that does NOT use this digital function (the knob you see, may just operate an up/down interrupter)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:04 AM   #38
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
If it ain't broke...

If it absolutely, positively needs to be destroyed overnight...

Throw a Nokia at it.

RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:06 PM   #39
MovieBird
TuxSlash
MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: GlowNook
Quote:
If it ain't broke...

Engineers' Creed: If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is!
MovieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:26 PM   #40
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Apple loses claims to “pinch to zoom” patent with USPTO, could impact Samsung case
http://www.talkandroid.com/169782-ap...-samsung-case/

Looks like with all the patent losses Apple has suffered over the last year as well as Samsung getting some of the iphone version banned in US. Samsung is slowly beating Apple in the courts as well not just the market.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:35 PM   #41
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Management

Ever try and get the 'Higher ups' to sign off on a product (development)?

1977, I tried to get Fairchild (my employer at the time) to make a digital volume/balance control chip to replace the ganged (fraught with tracking problems), resistive potentiometer level controls found on consumer audio devices. No Go.
Try and find a device today that does NOT use this digital function (the knob you see, may just operate an up/down interrupter)
I usually see it the other way around. In many European countries engineers run the show. And they never want to change. We had those expensive but extremely limited control panels for machinery (small screen, little memory, no expansion possibilities, limited language display capabilities, difficult to get replacements, etc.) while the competition started to use laptops 10 years ago. Just one example of many. They still haven't changed until this day -- but finally they seem to wise up. After they went through chapter 11 (again!). The engineers though of something (completely removed from any knowledge of what the customers really wanted or needed), designed a much too expensive product and then told the salesmen "you are too stupid to explain it".

Last edited by HansTWN; 07-29-2013 at 11:45 PM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:44 AM   #42
Sregener
Addict
Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
No cities in the US do, and a lot of citizens consider it an unacceptable violation of privacy. Nobody wants to be recorded going into a strip club or sex shop, because of the off chance their spouse might find out.
I don't think it's just "doing evil" that we don't want the government watching. The whole reason there is such outcry against the whole phone records and Internet thing is because America was founded by people who knew what harm governments can do. Now maybe the government in power today will not abuse that information, but who's to say the next one won't? And what groups may be persecuted or found to be "suspicious" and worthy of extra scrutiny? Most innocent behavior, when viewed skeptically and not given the benefit of the doubt, can be considered worthy of prosecution by an over-eager government. Historically, ethnic, racial and religious groups have all been targeted by governments and have faced every form of persecution imaginable. Snooping on its citizens is a very valuable tool for totalitarianism.
Sregener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:41 AM   #43
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
I usually see it the other way around. In many European countries engineers run the show. And they never want to change. We had those expensive but extremely limited control panels for machinery (small screen, little memory, no expansion possibilities, limited language display capabilities, difficult to get replacements, etc.) while the competition started to use laptops 10 years ago. Just one example of many. They still haven't changed until this day -- but finally they seem to wise up. After they went through chapter 11 (again!). The engineers though of something (completely removed from any knowledge of what the customers really wanted or needed), designed a much too expensive product and then told the salesmen "you are too stupid to explain it".
Now, now, don't be too hasty and unkind.

Usually the wall or pedestal/column mounted, rugged touch screen panels and such go in abusive environments.

I can remember "control desks" on a "line" that had metal protective hatches that you would prop open like the hood of a car.

It really depended on the environment.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:43 AM   #44
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
It's been a while since I've seen anyone talking on a smartphone.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:54 AM   #45
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sregener View Post
And what groups may be persecuted or found to be "suspicious" and worthy of extra scrutiny? Most innocent behavior, when viewed skeptically and not given the benefit of the doubt, can be considered worthy of prosecution by an over-eager government. Historically, ethnic, racial and religious groups have all been targeted by governments and have faced every form of persecution imaginable. Snooping on its citizens is a very valuable tool for totalitarianism.
The current government has already started abusing information. Just the latest scandal is that the IRS (US tax agency) has been persecuting conservative political groups (http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/14/politi...tive-targeting is one place to start). All the higher-ups who would have to approve this have been completely denying responsibility and distancing themselves, and the media is letting them get away with it. This should still be a major story, but instead we've heard 100x more on new babies in other countries than a huge corruption scandal in our own government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
I usually see it the other way around. In many European countries engineers run the show. And they never want to change.
Resistance to change is one of the fundamental human traits, unfortunately.

OT: So far, the only real fallout from this is that bogus patents are being held up to light, and the issues with the USPTO are actually being talked about. So that's all good.

Last edited by Rbneader; 07-30-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote