Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-21-2012, 12:05 PM   #46
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
There is no 'taste of beer'.
Beer is made with hops. Hops affect the taste of beer.

Quote:
And everything in between. I suggest you hunt up a few good microbrews. If you think Budweiser et al is all there is, you're missing out...
I have been told that, literally, hundreds of times by various friends and acquaintences. They are all wrong. Aside from the hops taste of beer, I do not like the taste of alcohol, either. And my sense of taste is good enough that if it's got enough alcohol to legally qualify as an alcoholic beverage, I can taste it. There have been three exceptions:

1) Saki, served at the right temperature, tastes like lukewarm water (which is at least bland and tasteless), and isn't the least bit alcoholic - until you stand up.

2) I had a chinese brandy once, that was nothing like western brandy (which tends to sickly sweet), and wasn't bad, though it was far too expensive for me.

3) I once had something marketed under the brand name Hootch, which was, essnetially, fermented Mountain Dew (which is to say, the sugar, which normally masks the taste of the grapefruit juice, had been turned in to alcohol). Now, normally, I love Mountain Dew, but. This was tasted disgusting, but not because of the alcohol taste.

Quote:
Yes, I know. I'll shut up now
That's no fun at all.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:07 PM   #47
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post

Spoiler:
Advert
Old 08-21-2012, 12:08 PM   #48
taustin
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Hmmm, coincidence?
If so, then drinking alcohol or coffee is probably even worse.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:25 PM   #49
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Quote:
Folgers!
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:27 PM   #50
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
I do not like the taste of alcohol, either.
please see a doctor. your situation may become more aggravated without intervention.
Advert
Old 08-21-2012, 12:28 PM   #51
ScotiaBurrell
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e View Post
So refreshing to see someone not only embrace their ignorance, but show it off in such a spectacular manner.
saying american coffee is not coffee is like the brunette telling the blond that her hair is not hair. Is different. different is good.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:16 PM   #52
taustin
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaBurrell View Post
please see a doctor. your situation may become more aggravated without intervention.
I doubt it. It's been aggravating enough for many years, since I have many friends who are, apparently, drunken sots with an intense need to make me on as well.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:41 PM   #53
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Hmmm, coincidence?
No I'm Anemic. Coffee blocks iron absorption So does tea. My mom and sis are too. It's genetic. They caught mine the earliest. I try to eat Iron rich foods and avoid iron blockers. I also take B12 shots each month. Sometimes it feels like a losing battle. They want to do iron transfusions but my health insurance says I am not dire enough yet. I kind of agree with that.

Can't have any Alcohol either my doc says. I miss my Wine! And ever so rarely I would have a Coors. Just one with dinner. Now all I drink is water and juice.

Last edited by Blossom; 08-21-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:57 PM   #54
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Isn't there plenty of iron in red wine?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:00 PM   #55
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Isn't there plenty of iron in red wine?
Yes and No. Red Grape Juice or Red Wine is a huge Iron blocker. I use to drink grape Juice till the doc said only the clear kind which is actually good for Anemia. Alcohol is really bad for Anemia so red wine is a double wammy.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:15 PM   #56
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The things you can learn on this board, never seize to amaze me.
My mother always claimed she drank red wine for the iron, but she died a raving alcoholic...
Old 08-21-2012, 02:21 PM   #57
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
My mother always claimed she drank red wine for the iron, but she died a raving alcoholic...
I'm sorry. The findings about Red Grape being bad for Anemia only came out in 2002. So it could be she really thought that. I can tell you how much better I feel since I stop drinking red grape juice. Alcohol of any kind is a no no when you are Anemic it's the same with caffeine.

Reading books is part of my therapy. My doctor told me to relax because my low iron had my heart rate up. It's getting better and it's good for blood pressure too!
Old 08-21-2012, 02:30 PM   #58
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
alright Swedish grammar cop, do your duty
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:44 PM   #59
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
alright Swedish grammar cop, do your duty
Is it seize you react on?

seize (siːz)

— vb ( on ) (sometimes foll by on or upon ) (often foll by up ) (usually foll by of )
1. to take hold of quickly; grab: she seized her hat and ran for the bus
2. to grasp mentally, esp rapidly: she immediately seized his idea
3. to take mental possession of: alarm seized the crowd
4. to take possession of rapidly and forcibly: the thief seized the woman's purse
5. to take legal possession of; take into custody
6. to take by force or capture: the army seized the undefended town
7. to take immediate advantage of: to seize an opportunity

But hey, I'm the first to admit that English is not my mother tongue so feel free to correct me.

Hmm, doing a little search and I begin to wonder if it should be "cease". But that means stop or bring to an end. But my amazement continues, hence it grabs my intellectual faculties. No?

Last edited by Kumabjorn; 08-21-2012 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Dictionary search
Old 08-21-2012, 02:59 PM   #60
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Yes cease as in stop is correct, not seize. "never ceases to amaze me" / "never stops amazing me". The "never" therefore means it doesn't stop, so you are cool to continue being amazed.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote