Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-20-2012, 01:12 AM   #1
Grendel Rex
Grendel Rex began at the beginning.

Device: none
Are they really that delicate??

Looks like I cracked the screen on mine today, tiny black line running across the screen and everything above it stays white although the touch screen still works since I can open my last read book which I can't see. I for sure didn't drop it and if I banged it it couldn't have been very hard. I was reading on the bus, put it in a leg pocket on my cargo pants(which I also had a 3 DVD box set in) after I got off the bus. Changed into my uniform at work then back again at the end of my shift, when I pulled it out to read it looked fine until I started it up. If it did bang anything it couldn't have been very hard and I didn't put any pressure on it.
I guess the warranty isn't going to cover it but I bought it to read on the bus, if it's that fragile I don't know if I'll be buying another.
Grendel Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:22 AM   #2
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
If it's a straight line, rather than one that looks like a fracture, it may be faulty hardware and covered by the warranty.

Sometimes they get weird screen problems when they're not charged enough--try charging it a full 8 hours and see if that fixes the problem.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2012, 03:07 AM   #3
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I once spent day in amusement park with reader in front pants pocket. It had a silicone rubber cover with steel sheet metal over screen. I rode every roller coaster and water ride. Added plastic bag for water rides. It survived.

Sometimes I have bare reader in front loose cut trouser's pocket. Have to be careful with this. Only a little loose change in bottom of pocket with reader.

I once had reader in soft sleeve setting on roadster console under light jacket. Arm pressure damaged screen so you could not read book. Glass was not damaged.

Bare reader has dropped 30" onto vinyl covered concrete floor. No damage.

Lucky I have only damaged one reader. But I have spares. Maybe box set of 3 DVDs contributed to your damage.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:49 AM   #4
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
I have dropped mine a couple of times about a metre onto a hardwood floor without any visible damage... the top glass is very thin and the screen underneath is easily damaged so you need to avoid any direct impact or pressure on the screen or any" twisting " force on the device but it is really n o more delicate than any other similar device.
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:25 AM   #5
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
I wouldn't take mine out of the house to be honest although sometimes I'd sideload the same book onto my phone so I can continue with it. I think the glass is incredibly thin so easily breakable. I've avoided proper tablets for the same issue I just don't see them as tough enough to be portable.

Probably about time ereaders started to get gorrilla glass or flexible displays I don't think that's very far off.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2012, 08:54 AM   #6
gardenstate
Groupie
gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and PRS-950
The glass portion of the E ink screen can get broken by a direct blow (or pressure) or even by flexing of the ereader frame. Use of a protective cover is very important.
gardenstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:59 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've been saying for a while now, never put a reader in a pocket. It's a reader waiting to get broken.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:06 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Can you post a photograph of the screen? A fractured substrate has a very characteristic appearance, and we can immediately tell you if that's what you've done if we can see a photograph.

It's not knocks that fractures the substrate as much as twisting forces. If you've put the reader in your pocket, and then leaned forward, applying a bending force to the screen, that WILL break the screen. Always, ALWAYS keep you reader in a good rigid case.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:43 PM   #9
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I use to ride motorcycles took precautions and accepting risks to body and machine. Carry e-reader in pocket is also a risk I sometimes accept but with no increased risk to my body. Life is full of risks that I refuse to be paranoid about. Deal with risks in your own way. Still things will be damaged and we all will die. No how hard you try to prevent this it still happens.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:31 PM   #10
Grendel Rex
Grendel Rex began at the beginning.

Device: none
Her's a pic. Bit out of focus but you can see what it looks like.

http://i477.photobucket.com/albums/r...x/PICT0113.jpg

When it's shut off there's thin black lines along the areas that have lost the image.

If anything the DVD's protected it being that they are .75" thick and pretty rigid and I'm very careful with the reader, that's why I put it in the leg pocket where there's no stress on it. If I did bang it it wasn't very hard since the only time I could have done it was when I took my shorts out of my locker. If these things are that fragile they are pretty useless for me, I bought it to read on the bus so it's going to get dropped and banged occasionally. I can live with it breaking if I drop it on the ground or bang it fairly hard but this is ridiculous.
Grendel Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:39 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sorry, that's an absolutely classic picture of a fractured screen substrate. The thin layer of glass that's under the outer plastic screen has fractured - you can see the curved edges of the fracture in your photograph.

They really aren't that delicate when it comes to knocks - what you have to guard against is bending forces - that's what breaks the glass, and that's why a rigid case is essential.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:33 PM   #12
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
I agree with HarryT regarding carrying the T1 in pockets, especially trouser pockets.

"Trouser torque" is a common cause of damage to cellular phones as well and they are much smaller than a reader, not so much now as phones become more modular in construction and rugged screens but even my quite small for a smartphone Nokia N8 has a reputation of its bottom end cover (is plastic over some of its antennas) breaking loose from torque in pockets.

For a cover I just use the Sony soft zip up one, but if my T1 is being carried it is in my briefcase, never in a pocket or similar.

I like the suggestion of a sheet of metal, but maybe rigid plastic or very thin plywood would be less likely to scratch the bezel? Anyway, will be looking out for something along those lines to use, so thanks to the poster who made the suggestion.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:02 AM   #13
gardenstate
Groupie
gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and PRS-950
BookArmor makes the toughest case I know of. I had used their cases in the past and they really protect the screen from impact and twisting with a heavy plastic or metal plate.

http://www.amazon.com/BookArmor-Shie.../dp/B005ZGX5BA

main distributor
http://www.extremeinkjet.com/Case_fo...1_p/basst1.htm

Last edited by gardenstate; 06-21-2012 at 07:06 AM.
gardenstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:27 AM   #14
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
From experience, I'd suggest either an extra piece of screen-shape plastic (cut from 5l container or something?) in the case, slipped in the lining of the case, screen side, or cut a piece of foam (like on thin cheap camping/exercise mats) - in whatever case you have....

I managed to run over mine, (don't ask, long story...) in a modified case as above, with my Volvo, & it survived !

Another alternative is wear a fishing-type vest-coat (can't think of French term..gil.. no, gone, sorry) with decent inside pockets, and keep thee fingies XX'd !
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:18 AM   #15
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
Even cheaper... just don't carry it in a pocket... leastways not one that is going to be subject to any sort of force, I have carried my T1 in a soft cover in my side jacket pocket without any problems a tether point would be nice so you could hang it around your neck it's not really pocket size
bla is offline   Reply With Quote