Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-17-2011, 08:40 PM   #1
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Must Have Apps for Kindle Fire

Yes I think we need a big thread to share apps that work with the Kindle Fire and help some of us who are lost at what to use.

Wi-Fi Status Bar Switch by friedflow - Toggle WiFi on/off by touching app icon or in the Notifications bar so you can toggle from any app.

Lock Screen App by Kenneth Cheng (i-Kenneth.com)
Lock your Fire with the touch of a icon. also available in Amazon's app store for $1.99. Market has paid and free version. I use the free one do to placement of Lock button being hard to get to when it's sitting in my stand.

Screen Dim by Omega Centauri Software - Better then screen filter and works great! If you do alot of night reading then you need this app to make the screen dimmer so you don't burn your eyeballs. Also available at the official Market and can be sideloaded.

Mantano - A rich feature epub eReader app. There is free version and a paid one. The difference is one has ads and the other doesn't. Mantano has many options to customize your reader experience. It also has collections to keep your books nice and organize. It's well worth the price.

GSam Battery Monitor - This is the Kindle Fire edition and made strictly for the Fire. The other version is free but it's not as accurate. This app will put the battery percentage in the notification area. It has many more features like predicting how much battery is left. Now has low battery alarm! You can set it to the percentage to notify you when the battery is low. Mine is set to 35%

Aldiko - Another epub eReader that many use. One unique feature this has that Mantano doesn't is that you can download overdrive library books directly into the app.

Overdrive Media Console - This app lets you download library ebooks and library MP3 audiobooks directly from your library's overdrive site. The Fire will not play wma audiobooks.

Please see this thread for alternative markets to find your apps.

If you know of a compatible tested Amazon app store apps please list them as it will help those who don't have access to the Market. Other non app store apps welcome too.

Please do not add links to blogs with lists of apps. I made this thread to find apps that you have personal experience with and can't do without.

Last edited by Blossom; 12-05-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:04 PM   #2
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Isn't the wifi on/off already in the notifications bar?

Also the lock screen? Pressing the power button is the same isn't it?
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2011, 09:10 PM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post
Isn't the wifi on/off already in the notifications bar?

Also the lock screen? Pressing the power button is the same isn't it?
No it's the settings bar where that is though you can still access it from any app but it takes a few extra steps with the app I use it just simple click on, click off. It's faster too in connecting/disconnecting.

Yes the lock app and power button are the same. The power button is on the bottom but I don't want to have to pick up the Fire each time to lock the screen. I'm not holding it my hand it's in a stand right next to me like my new best friend and it doubles as a mirror!

Last edited by Blossom; 11-17-2011 at 09:13 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:41 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

YouTube 2.3.4: I used your trick and moved it from my phone to the Fire after creating an APK via ES File explorer.

Also available at: http://www.freewarelovers.com/android/app/youtube

ColorDict: Same as above. BTW: ColorDict works with several of the 3rd party reader apps like Mantano, so it is a very useful app. It works standalone too.

EDIT: In order to get the WordNet 3.0 dictionary data to work with ColorDict, I copied the dictdata/dict folder from my phone to my Fire. It works!

Last edited by jswinden; 11-17-2011 at 10:38 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:44 PM   #5
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
YouTube
Oh I forgot about youtube! Where do you find it other then Market. My phone comes with a different version so I can't sideload it that ways.
Advert
Old 11-17-2011, 09:47 PM   #6
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
No it's the settings bar where that is though you can still access it from any app but it takes a few extra steps with the app I use it just simple click on, click off. It's faster too in connecting/disconnecting.

Yes the lock app and power button are the same. The power button is on the bottom but I don't want to have to pick up the Fire each time to lock the screen. I'm not holding it my hand it's in a stand right next to me like my new best friend and it doubles as a mirror!
Ok I think I got ya. i'll have to try it out
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:47 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Oh I forgot about youtube! Where do you find it other then Market. My phone comes with a different version so I can't sideload it that ways.
I read a thread where SCION found it, but cannot remember where she got it, or which thread. Thread had to do with sideloading. I lucked out and my phone app worked. It looks awesome!

Here is SCION's link: http://www.freewarelovers.com/android/app/youtube
Old 11-17-2011, 09:49 PM   #8
krighton
Addict
krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: sony reader
PerfectViewer (1.0.7.2) comic/manga reader for android.
krighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:50 PM   #9
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Youtube starts with the Fire

Quote:
Youtube was on my Fire when I received it.

The best App I just got from the Amazon store was the Tecarta Bible. Its the best I've seen. The KJV is free and the NIV Study Bible is only $ 20. After one registers, once can stream dozens of other Bibles FREE via the WiFi.

I spent most of today playing with that App on my Fire.

Last edited by sirmaru; 11-17-2011 at 09:52 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:50 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post
Ok I think I got ya. i'll have to try it out
In two clicks (I have them in favorites beside each other) I can turn WiFi off and lock my Fire which will save my battery.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:50 PM   #11
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Here are all the drawing apps I'm testing and test art:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=157165

Mint.com - For keeping track of my money.

TuneIn Radio - Has TONS of stations to listen to, including BBC Radio.

Pretty much all I've installed so far.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:53 PM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post

TuneIn Radio - Has TONS of stations to listen to, including BBC Radio.

Pretty much all I've installed so far.
Thanks! I Second Tune In Radio! I was listening to Christmas music all day! It doesn't drain the battery much at all. I have the Pro version. It has all my local stations as well no Radio needed now. On my phone it doesn't sound this good!

I'll probably put Slacker radio on here too and see if it works.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:55 PM   #13
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Battery experience?

Quote:
In two clicks (I have them in favorites beside each other) I can turn WiFi off and lock my Fire which will save my battery.
What is your battery experience so far? I've used 147% of it's capacity in the last 2 days. At this rate it will need a daily charge.

Its supposed to have a 7 hour capacity. Of course, if one just reads an eBook 30 minutes per day, it should last 14 days. My 3rd Gen Kindle Kbd needs a new charge ever 3 weeks but I only use it for 30 minutes of eReading daily.

This Fire has so many other features that most of my time is NOT spent with eBooks lately.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:00 PM   #14
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Thanks! I Second Tune In Radio! I was listening to Christmas music all day! It doesn't drain the battery much at all. I have the Pro version. It has all my local stations as well no Radio needed now. On my phone it doesn't sound this good!

I'll probably put Slacker radio on here too and see if it works.
Pro version is DEFINITELY the best! I love the record feature, use it to death.

Slacker is nice, but I'm waiting for Spotify to be formatted properly for the Fire so I can use my Premium.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:01 PM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
What is your battery experience so far? I've used 147% of it's capacity in the last 2 days. At this rate it will need a daily charge.

Its supposed to have a 7 hour capacity. Of course, if one just reads an eBook 30 minutes per day, it should last 14 days. My 3rd Gen Kindle Kbd needs a new charge ever 3 weeks but I only use it for 30 minutes of eReading daily.

This Fire has so many other features that most of my time is NOT spent with eBooks lately.
The thing about android is know your apps! Some can be drainers and some are easy on the battery. My battery is doing great but I do plug my Tablet in at bedtime. I keep WiFi off when not using it.

Games will drain your battery fast! Videos as well. If you notice your battery feels really warm during an app that is a good indicator the app is using some juice. Prime videos streaming is one of them. Watch each app you side load for possible issues with battery drainage.

I took mine off the charger at 1:30PM EST. With moderate use playing the radio app all day, adding stuff to it and setting up my lan, no gaming or video though it's at 70% I say that is pretty good.