Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-05-2011, 01:28 PM   #91
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict
SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Pad Slider
Hey SameerH. I have no idea if this has to do with 1.9.11 (since it's the only firmware I've used) or if it's a risk of having a hodgepodge of ebooks from all over the place.

I've noticed on a couple of my ebooks, the page numbers are... basically reduced fractions. If there's, say, 200 pages in the book, while I'm in the book, it displays as 100, or 50. Proportionally, it still displays the "correct" page number for where I am in the book. So, if I'm 100 pages in to a 200-page book, it displays as something like "50/100." In addition, it would also display the same page number for 2 pages.

That's a simplified example - the total page number that actually appears is somewhat more random, but it's always a lower number than the actual page count, and it still displays how far into the book I am accurately, relative to the total page number it displays.

Not really a big deal, since it's still accurately telling me where I am (Reading Life is accurate too - and the page numbers are correct in Reading Life). Just an odd quirk, and wondering if it's my funky ePub collection or a firmware thing.

Last edited by SmokeAndMirrors; 10-05-2011 at 01:32 PM.
SmokeAndMirrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:42 PM   #92
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
I've noticed on a couple of my ebooks, the page numbers are... basically reduced fractions.
What can help SameerH and the team greatly is if you can share the name of the book and where it came from.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2011, 01:50 PM   #93
Panatec
Panatec began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Buford View Post
Honestly, I think many of these bugs or errors people are having, must be self-inflicted in some way (i.e. messing around with all that additional software out there). How come that my device works absolutely flawlessly? The firmware is exactly the same, the hardware is exactly the same. Book after book, I fill my Kobo Touch's memory, and it just works.

Yours works does not mean all work. I wish you understood this simple logic as a "book after book" reader. How do you know that the hardware is exactly the same? Do you know that there are more than one uSD card out there?

This is the typical mentality of blaming the victim.

Last edited by Panatec; 10-05-2011 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Rage
Panatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:59 PM   #94
Latch
Porcupine Tree fan
Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Dude, you need to mellow out a little bit. Rage, swearing and insults won't get you very far here.
Latch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:27 PM   #95
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict
SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Pad Slider
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
What can help SameerH and the team greatly is if you can share the name of the book and where it came from.
Heh, that's sort of the problem. A lot of my books are old-format books I've converted, and in some cases, have even had to edit personally. Some written by friends, some from I-don't-even-know-where, some have gone through numerous re-formatting fiascos... which is why I think it's certainly possible that it's on my end rather than the KT's.

But, like I said, the page numbers are correct in Reading Life.

But the ones I've noticed it on thus far are one written by a friend (RTF to ePub), an ePub of "Howl" from I-don't-know-where, and "The Importance of Being Earnest" from Project Gutenberg.
SmokeAndMirrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2011, 03:27 PM   #96
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
It's pretty much all ebooks regardless of source. The Kobo uses a page count based, it seems, pretty much on a character count rather than on more sane methods like number of screens & page turns you'd need to get through the book based on your current font settings and any deliberate page breaks in the book (new chapters and so on). ie, the page number displayed will almost never actually have anything to do with the actual page you're on and it is perfectly normal for it to take two, three, or even four page turns for that number to advance.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:28 PM   #97
Panatec
Panatec began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latch View Post
Dude, you need to mellow out a little bit. Rage, swearing and insults won't get you very far here.
Hi Dude, I will take your advice and appologize if someone got offended.

Form now on, I will use Kobo not only as a book but also as a tool to practise patience, tolerance, calmness... I wish someday it would make me into a saint.

I give you one example, when the last line of my PDF file is cut off half line or more than that, I will not be offended at all. I will use it as a challenge for me to guess the meaning by myself or even rewrite the line by myself. What a creative way of reading. Authors, if you find your last line is difficult to put down on paper, check with me cause I am the best last-liner trained by Kobo.
Panatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:39 PM   #98
Latch
Porcupine Tree fan
Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Panatec,

While I doubt anyone got offended, this is a forum populated mostly by users and is not an official support forum. The people here will try to help you as best they can in their own spare time for free. If you come off like a snarky ingrate then you'll find that nobody wants to help you. We understand that you're frustrated with the problem you are having, but if your goal was to alienate everyone else then by all means continue as you were. If you're looking for assistance then you might want to consider adjusting your tone accordingly.
Latch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:16 PM   #99
ArmorDog
Connoisseur
ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi and Kobo Touch and Kobo Glo and Kobo H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
It's pretty much all ebooks regardless of source. The Kobo uses a page count based, it seems, pretty much on a character count rather than on more sane methods like number of screens & page turns you'd need to get through the book based on your current font settings and any deliberate page breaks in the book (new chapters and so on). ie, the page number displayed will almost never actually have anything to do with the actual page you're on and it is perfectly normal for it to take two, three, or even four page turns for that number to advance.
I'm pretty sure this isn't what he's talking about.
ArmorDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:58 PM   #100
ne0rmatrix
Enthusiast
ne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: kobo Aura HD,Apple Ipad Mini,Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4,LG G4
hey everyone i have only noticed one bug with my kobo touch that bothered me. I bought my kobo touch September 22nd to replace my kobo wifi. When i upgraded to firmware 1.9.11 form 1.9.10 i ran into an issue that was really annoying. Previously i had no issues with the device and all of a sudden when i would goto turn page forward it would not respond. I would then tap again and it would jump ahead 2 pages. I would then tap back a page and continue reading.

I then tried a master reset with no luck. I only have this issue with third party epubs so i figured since i had time why not try to see if it was quality of ebooks that was issue. I then removed all ebooks and did another reset and loaded only kobo store ebooks, and some from the baen free library in epub format. All kobo epubs worked fine with no issues. All the third party from baen free library all had same issue of double page turns.

So i read about manually downgrading firmware and decided why not try that. So i downloaded firmware 1.9.10 and manually downgraded it. And voilla problem was solved for every epub in my library. Even the ones from dubious sources worked. So since im not a programmer or hardware developer i cannot say if this issue is a result of the firmware or my unique setup for my kobo touch. All i can suggest is the kobo team try to isolate the issue if they can reproduce error or get more reports of problem.

I have submitted a ticket to support for this and since its only been 2 days i have not received any reply as of yet. Its a little early to expect one but hope they can reproduce error and/or get more reports of flaw and can fix this. I like the new features and would like to have them. I am going to upgrade it again except this time im going to reset device and then do upgrade. When im done im gonna reload device again and see if error is reproducible. If it is i am inclined to believe its a flaw in firmware. Oh and yet because of all the reported issues with sd cards and such i will upgrade without sd card in. And i will load some ebooks from various sources to see if it has any issues.
ne0rmatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:07 PM   #101
SF&F Reader
Groupie
SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Touch, Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy SII HD LTE
Yeah, I had the old dead tap/double page turn happen once with the new FW. With 1.9.10 I would sometimes get just a dead tap.
SF&F Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:19 PM   #102
ne0rmatrix
Enthusiast
ne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

update to problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ne0rmatrix View Post
hey everyone i have only noticed one bug with my kobo touch that bothered me. I bought my kobo touch September 22nd to replace my kobo wifi. When i upgraded to firmware 1.9.11 form 1.9.10 i ran into an issue that was really annoying. Previously i had no issues with the device and all of a sudden when i would goto turn page forward it would not respond. I would then tap again and it would jump ahead 2 pages. I would then tap back a page and continue reading.

I then tried a master reset with no luck. I only have this issue with third party epubs so i figured since i had time why not try to see if it was quality of ebooks that was issue. I then removed all ebooks and did another reset and loaded only kobo store ebooks, and some from the baen free library in epub format. All kobo epubs worked fine with no issues. All the third party from baen free library all had same issue of double page turns.

So i read about manually downgrading firmware and decided why not try that. So i downloaded firmware 1.9.10 and manually downgraded it. And voilla problem was solved for every epub in my library. Even the ones from dubious sources worked. So since im not a programmer or hardware developer i cannot say if this issue is a result of the firmware or my unique setup for my kobo touch. All i can suggest is the kobo team try to isolate the issue if they can reproduce error or get more reports of problem.

I have submitted a ticket to support for this and since its only been 2 days i have not received any reply as of yet. Its a little early to expect one but hope they can reproduce error and/or get more reports of flaw and can fix this. I like the new features and would like to have them. I am going to upgrade it again except this time im going to reset device and then do upgrade. When im done im gonna reload device again and see if error is reproducible. If it is i am inclined to believe its a flaw in firmware. Oh and yet because of all the reported issues with sd cards and such i will upgrade without sd card in. And i will load some ebooks from various sources to see if it has any issues.

Update:

Reset device. deleted content on sd card. Updated firmware to 1.9.11 from 1.9.10 and synced device with kobo library without sd card plugged in. Synced 3rd party epubs and was unable to reproduce issue i had before. Trying again with sd card in and library copied over. Will post more later about this.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:00 PM   #103
ne0rmatrix
Enthusiast

Problem resolved: unable to reproduce issue

Quote:
Update: reset device. deleted content on sd card. Updated firmware to 1.9.11 from 1.9.10 and synced device with kobo library without sd card plugged in. Synced 3rd party epubs and was unable to reproduce issue i had before. Trying again with sd card in and library copied over. Will post more later about this.
Ok after copying library to sd card and testing i found that issue has not ocurred even once. This issue happened every page turn or every 2nd page turn and was a real problem for me.

I bought my kobo touch on September 22nd and when i connected to laptop it updated to firmware 1.9.10 and then i copied my entire library from kobo wifi to it on sd card and had no issues.

When i upgraded to 1.9.11 i started having frequent page turn errors and some times the device would freeze while reading ebook. Oh and switching from ebook to homescreen took upto a minute.

So i read about downgrading and did it. This resolved the issue completely.

I then decided why not do a hard reset and upgrade firmware and then see if error was repeated. So since i had time and did not mind remaking all my bookmarks, something i had previously not wanted to have to do, i did the upgrade from virgin state, and then copied all 1,000 ebooks to sd card and checked a couple dozen for error. I was unable to reproduce error and switching ebooks was much faster.

I can only conclude the unique history of setup and upgrades led to these issues. I think maybe the ebook database was corrupted or such and the kobo was functional only because of the robustness of the device firmware. So to reiterate i believe the database had been damaged by user ineptitude and such and the device worked admirably in this case.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:27 PM   #104
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Ok after copying library to sd card and testing i found that issue has not ocurred even once. This issue happened every page turn or every 2nd page turn and was a real problem for me.

I bought my kobo touch on September 22nd and when i connected to laptop it updated to firmware 1.9.10 and then i copied my entire library from kobo wifi to it on sd card and had no issues.

When i upgraded to 1.9.11 i started having frequent page turn errors and some times the device would freeze while reading ebook. Oh and switching from ebook to homescreen took upto a minute.

So i read about downgrading and did it. This resolved the issue completely.

I then decided why not do a hard reset and upgrade firmware and then see if error was repeated. So since i had time and did not mind remaking all my bookmarks, something i had previously not wanted to have to do, i did the upgrade from virgin state, and then copied all 1,000 ebooks to sd card and checked a couple dozen for error. I was unable to reproduce error and switching ebooks was much faster.

I can only conclude the unique history of setup and upgrades led to these issues. I think maybe the ebook database was corrupted or such and the kobo was functional only because of the robustness of the device firmware. So to reiterate i believe the database had been damaged by user ineptitude and such and the device worked admirably in this case.
I don't think it was user ineptitude. I believe one of the previous updates (.9 or .8) was horrendously mangling either the database or filesystem, and upgrading from that point didn't automagically fix the damage.

If someone is having difficulty with .11,, they should try a clean factory reset / update cycle. Whilte at it, next time I factory reset, I have every intention of backup up my .kobo directory. Surely restoring that will be a faster/cleaner way of fixing any future oopses without completely reformating the read-only portion of the kobo firmware.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:52 AM   #105
Techbar
TechnoGeek
Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Likebook Mars, Boox Kepler Pro, InkBook Obsidian
In the notes for v1.9.11 there is reference to a low battery alarm, can anyone tell me what form this takes? My KT still shuts down without warning (although it does show a screen saying the battery needs to be recharged).
At least over time it has improved, this now occurs in the last bar rather than at half way as it did originally. I wish there was a percentage value shown or at least little white lines between each bar on the battery display.
Techbar is offline   Reply With Quote