Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-01-2011, 09:01 AM   #76
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by unaj41 View Post
UPDATE: Reading Stats don't work at all after the update: every time the device is powered off ALL the stats (except the percentage completion of the current book) zero out ...
Maybe setup a help ticket--reading stats are fine for me (and for others) post update. It does seem that for some people the stats don't show up until the next sync.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 05:53 PM   #77
moorejl57
moorejl57 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
SD Card Issue

I also keep all my books on a SD card now to avoid issues if a reset is needed. I was in the airport in Tel Aviv and dropped my touch on the carpet. It caused a factory reset (some internal switch or memory card got jarred?) and I lost the books I had loaded for the trip.

With the new firmware and now that my books are on the SD card, after a few pages, it book marks the book and closes it.

I also have issues on all firmware versions with dead taps followed with double page turns on the next tap. Also see on occasion, repeated dead forward taps that require a back tap to reset state so I can go forward again. The debounce logic needs work since this is a basic and vital aspect of using the reader.

I write embedded software for paintball guns and wish I had the source code so I could fix the odd behaviors I keep running into.

My battery life is not as good as expected also since I keep the wifi off most of the time.

Love the reader, hoping for the best in future releases!
moorejl57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2011, 11:50 PM   #78
original-occam
original-occam began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Like several others I have the SD card problems. Additionally, my KT now and then acts on its own:
(a) I had the KT sitting on the table with nothing clode to it - and it suddenly changed from 'airplane mode' to being connected to my network (by WIFi)
(b) when it has 'lost' the SD card it sometimes re-finds it WITHOUT any action being necessary - just letting it be is enough to regain the SD books

Further, it used to be that it took several minutes to "process content" after a power-on. Now it takes less than a minute, but the percentage processed is shown as 6%; bot when it starts processing and when it goes on to the home page.

Oh well, since I keep my books on a side loaded SD card, I guess I will have to revert to dead trees until Kobo releases an update.
original-occam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:33 PM   #79
Panatec
Panatec began at the beginning.

Device: none
After I changed my card from a class 10 Adata brand 8 G card to a Class 4 Super Talent brand 8 G card, the SD card problem seemed dissapeared. This may expalain why some people got the problem but others not - NOT all cards are workable under firmware 1.9.11. But how to find a workable card? Try as many as you can until you find one.

This simple reader has been kept giving me little troubles that move me away from focusing on reading since day one. Good thing is that Kobo has been trying to fix them through firmware upgrades. But, Hey, KOBO, please do not create new bugs while solving the existing ones.

A thing still bugs me is that the bottom line of a Pdf page is often cut off, which never shows on Sony's PRS-950 or Amazon Kindle or Astak EZreader Pro.
Panatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 04:11 PM   #80
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by original-occam View Post
Like several others I have the SD card problems. Additionally, my KT now and then acts on its own:
(a) I had the KT sitting on the table with nothing clode to it - and it suddenly changed from 'airplane mode' to being connected to my network (by WIFi)
(b) when it has 'lost' the SD card it sometimes re-finds it WITHOUT any action being necessary - just letting it be is enough to regain the SD books

Further, it used to be that it took several minutes to "process content" after a power-on. Now it takes less than a minute, but the percentage processed is shown as 6%; bot when it starts processing and when it goes on to the home page.

Oh well, since I keep my books on a side loaded SD card, I guess I will have to revert to dead trees until Kobo releases an update.
I keep getting the, "There were problems with your internet connection" message error, when no there isn't/wasn't.

Stuff downloaded from my calibre content server no longer shows up, i.e. I see the dl progress bar in the browser going and finish, but the item doesn't show up on the "home" page like it USED to, nor is it visible in the library!

I really just noticed this now as I finished a book that I had been reading and tried to download some material from my calibre content server... very annoying.

LOUSY update. We need a way to force revert to prior updates.

[EDIT]
So I wasted(literally!) some time and updated calibre to the latest version, re-converted the content again, and tried dling it. Progress bar goes to completion, however it still doesn't show up in the library or the home screen as they used to with 1.9.10 and prior.

Back to the computer running calibre, open up the epub in calibre, it opens, looks good...

Kobo's getting a bad rep with me, filesystem corruption forcing a factory reset for me before 1.9.10, 1.9.11 just generally FUBARed, just wish that Amazon had released the Kindle Touch last spring now or that I had gone for the B&N Touch(not really an option though as the browser was useless and was the KT's primary selling point to me and now that seems to be ENTIRELY USELESS!).
[/EDIT]

[EDIT2]
Went a step further mounted the uSD directly on the computer, checked the files nope it never actually downloaded it apparently, unless the browser defaults to internal mem but I don't think so...

Also checked the filesystem on the uSD, and it was fine.
[/EDIT2]

[EDIT3]
OK, I was incorrect. The browser is defaulting to downloading to the internal mem, and I had FOUR copies of the file there!

Moved the original to the uSD and so will now see what happens:

Interesting:
db_integrity.log:
Code:
Mon Oct 3 16:34:30 2011

*** in database main ***
Main freelist: freelist leaf count too big on page 3606
[/EDIT3]

[EDIT4]
...so AFTER unmounting the KT (w/uSD installed and having moved a copy of the file in question) I've triggered a Processing Content "event" which I'm currently waiting for to finish...

Nope still didn't work...

Back to the drawing board guys, or maybe you got rid of the wrong fw guy.
[/EDIT4]

[EDIT5]
Yeppers, just did a completely manual CLI copy of the file in question directly to the uSD still no go. Also confirmed last new content(sideload) added and useable is from the same date that I had this godawful "update" foisted off on me, 9/23/11, which is why I had it foisted off on me!

Thanks for making my KT useless! Probably time to go shopping for the new kindle touch.
[/EDIT5]

Last edited by cutterjohn42; 10-03-2011 at 04:56 PM.
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2011, 05:45 PM   #81
markemark
Enthusiast
markemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panatec View Post
This may expalain why some people got the problem but others not - NOT all cards are workable under firmware 1.9.11. But how to find a workable card? Try as many as you can until you find one.
No thank you! It was working before and they can make it work again. I would even be willing to test a version to see if the microsd problem is fixed though, but I'm not spending money to workaround their problem.
markemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:10 PM   #82
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by markemark View Post
No thank you! It was working before and they can make it work again. I would even be willing to test a version to see if the microsd problem is fixed though, but I'm not spending money to workaround their problem.
You are absolutely right, there was absolutely no change in the types of cards supported, this should still work, you should not have to look for new cards, that is completely unacceptable. We have not seen this happen in our testing, I will work with our team to find out what's happening.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:08 PM   #83
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does anyone know where we can get older fws? I'm going to try a couple more things with my KT today and if it's still failing, I plan to do a factory reset(again!) and let it go directly back to 1.9.11.

If this still doesn't work, I'd like to factory reset and be able to go back to 1.9.10 which had been working fine for me.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:21 PM   #84
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Here is a link to the 1.9.10 zip file.

Do you have the instructions for doing a manual firmware upgrade?
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:34 PM   #85
cutterjohn42
Addict

Thanks.

Isn't the manual update merely putting the upgrade file on internal memory? I vaguely remember reading about it somewhere but never really even though about until the various disastrous KT fws, and this is the only time that I've really been serious about rolling back.

(The db corruption was the other time, but I was betting that the db corruption was present in all fws up to that point as it had cropped up from time-to-time before the 1.9.8(or was it 9?) update when a bunch of us got hit with it, but that time at least the KT was useable other than the annoying message at startup.)

[EDIT]
Spurred me into a quick search and turned up:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/arc.../t-145177.html
...a bit more to it than I really thought that it would be... strange update system... for an embedded device that is...
[/EDIT]

[EDIT2]
I've got the KT charging right now, as yesterday I was so POed that I just tossed it on the desk. Once it's fully charged up, I'll try my experimenting then the resets and will post and update today or tomorrow morning. Just hoping that it works as it's sunny today(finally!) and the NC would be kinda useless and going back to the wifi would be painful(slow).

(Waiting for charge, just because I don't want brickage from too little batt charge to run the updates... generally I even run off AC if that's an option when doing updates on things...)
[/EDIT2]

Last edited by cutterjohn42; 10-04-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:59 PM   #86
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Here are the instructions for a manual firmware update using a PC.
1. Download the firmware zip file.
2. Unzip the firmware zip file to your computer. It will contain
the following: KoboRoot.tgz, manifest.md5sum and an upgrade folder
containing uImage and u-boot.bin.
3. Attach the Kobo Touch to your computer via USB, choose Connect on
the screen and wait for it to appear as a mass storage device on your
computer.
4. Navigate to the .kobo folder on the Touch.
5. Copy ALL of the files unzipped in step 2 to the .kobo folder.
6. Properly eject the device from your computer.
7. Detach the USB cable.
8. The upgrading your software screen should appear on your screen and
the Touch will reboot.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 02:44 PM   #87
cutterjohn42
Addict

Thanks.

Yep, got that, essentially, from the linked post.

Just double checked again now by attempting to load several other known good epubs from calibre content server, and none worked as with yesterday.

Doing factory reset #1 right now.

[EDIT]
I just noticed that the linux version (unofficially official...) of the desktop sw doesn't properly "eject" the uSD card mount. It only "ejects" the KT internal mem mount...

VERY strange things going on now, the book(s) are NOW showing up in the "library" listing, but obviously, only the ones that I copied to uSD... must've been a silent corruption. Kobo REALLY needs to get a handle on that!
[/EDIT]

Last edited by cutterjohn42; 10-04-2011 at 02:53 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:15 PM   #88
Sound
Sound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutterjohn42 View Post
[Lots of stuff]
I honestly can't make heads or tails out of what you are trying to do.
If you are trying to sideload epubs either load them to the internal memory or u'r uSD card and let Kobo process content. If you run into an issue, the problem is likely more with the content than Kobo. Jumping back and forth between calibre, ade, kobo desktop, etc just creates a mashup soup waiting for something to break.
Also can you post the file(s) it breaks on so other people can have a look?
Sound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:28 AM   #89
Benjamin Buford
Nameless Being

Honestly, I think many of these bugs or errors people are having, must be self-inflicted in some way (i.e. messing around with all that additional software out there). How come that my device works absolutely flawlessly? The firmware is exactly the same, the hardware is exactly the same. Book after book, I fill my Kobo Touch's memory, and it just works.

My advice to people having these problem: Do a reset to the factory default once (is that the more thorough factory reset?) and upgrade to the latest FW.

And from then on, plug the device in and just drag you book(s) on the internal memory, and before unplugging, eject the device. That is the way I do it all the time, and it is simpler than any other way, and it just works! I don't use any software on my computer, except the operating system's file manager.

Last edited by Benjamin Buford; 10-05-2011 at 04:36 AM.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:43 PM   #90
Wellesfargo
Wellesfargo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Original Kobo Touch
I had to revert to the 1.9.10 firmware as well because of the constant flipping out to the home screen and loss of the microsd content. I do not use calibre or any other software to add content to my Kobo. I tried a factory reset and allowed my Kobo to install the new update but the flakey behavior continued. I reverted and now my Kobo is stable again. I will wait until they figure out what is causing these problems before upating again. I have been very happy with my Kobo until now.
Wellesfargo is offline   Reply With Quote