Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 09-16-2007, 07:48 AM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF74 View Post
A few additional observations regarding the photo comparision:

1) The book on the Sony has terrible formatting. Was that purchased like that?
2) The Cybook has no battery indicator nor does it have a Page X of Y indicator to quickly gauge how far through a book one is.
3) The book title and page numbers are unnecessarily large on the Cybook, but that may just be because it is using a large font in this screenshot.
1. Nothing wrong withthe way the book is formatted. How would you have formatted it?
2. I wonder why there is no battery meter display.
3. The header is quite large as well.

I also notice that the Cybook also does not have hyphenation support.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 08:18 AM   #47
penty
Connoisseur
penty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.penty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.penty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.penty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: CyBook Gen3
Edge keys are as follows:
Left
1. Music
2. Application sensitive, usually menu
3. Back
4. Delete
Right (Volume level controls for audio)
1. Plus
2. Minus

Battery indicator appears when you are in the library. Is it worth a line of text to have it appear in the book?

You are correct, currently there is no progress meter for how far through you are in the book. If the book is so bad you want it to end, why are you reading it?
penty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2007, 09:02 AM   #48
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by penty View Post
Battery indicator appears when you are in the library. Is it worth a line of text to have it appear in the book?

You are correct, currently there is no progress meter for how far through you are in the book. If the book is so bad you want it to end, why are you reading it?
Frankly speaking I didn't even bother to look for the features, I assumed there are default.

IMHO:
Quote:
Is it worth a line of text to have it appear in the book?
Definitely!

Quote:
You are correct, currently there is no progress meter for how far through you are in the book.
Unacceptable.

P.S. Maybe if I didn't have Sony Reader I would not have noticed such things but I find them extremely useful. Mind you, all of this is said by someone who doesn't use clock hack or page counter hack for sony reader b/c I find it very distracting to have a clock all the time in front of my eyes and I would hate to have too much info on this "status" bar.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 09:13 AM   #49
penty
Connoisseur
penty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.penty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.penty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.penty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

A couple questions, why do you want to know the exact status of the battery at all time? Unless you were extremely low when you started reading, which is indicated in the library, you won't run out of a charge with one book.

Why do you need a progress meter for the book? Unless I am forcing myself through a book I never look to see how much is left.

Remember what NAEB is currently evaluating is prototype software. If we can present a good argument for adding a feature, there is a good change of getting it in.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:18 AM   #50
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Heheh, hot topic here! Derek, you know I was just making light of the whole "take professional pictures" thing, right? I know it takes time and energy to put together a review, not everyone is going to be happy, but it's better than them having no review at all.

In regards to the look of the CyBook, I think the minimalist approach is good. You don't need all the additional buttons all over the device and a ton of junk just cluttering the screen when you're reading an eBook, do you? The page location and battery meter, on the other hand, are essential to ensuring you know where you're at in the book and have piece of mind the book won't crap out on you while you're on a trip or reaching the end of a novel.

I kind of like the look of the CyBook, it would be nice to have a rocker-button on the side/edge of the device so you can flip pages without too much movement.

Thanks for taking time to enlighten all of us about the new gear!

Edit: Penty, please read above for some very simple answers to the questions you posed. If you would have put yourself in the position of the people speculating/questioning the lack of the features, you wouldn't have had to ask them. Give it some thought.

Last edited by Azayzel; 09-16-2007 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Answer to Penty's inquiries where previously included above.
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2007, 09:21 AM   #51
levirothschild
levirothschild began at the beginning.

Device: none
The Cybook looks great!!!

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...", this could not have been more true! Sony is the one which looks cheap, as if the engineers were not sure if they really needed all those buttons or not and added them just in case! Minimalism is beautiful! And the Cybook does it well!!!

I am sick of Sony`s way of controlling software, and most people are as well!
"On August 30, 2007 Sony announced that its online music store, Connect Music Services, would no longer support the ATRAC audio format."
To me this ment victory! and the only way to force sony to be more open is to boycott their products!
Sure the Sony Reader PRS-505 looks nice and would be an improvement, but why should one wait for the same thing which the Cybook is offering now?
The consumers have responsibilty to not let big corporations bully them around!
levirothschild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 09:30 AM   #52
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by penty View Post
A couple questions,

1.why do you want to know the exact status of the battery at all time? Unless you were extremely low when you started reading, which is indicated in the library, you won't run out of a charge with one book.

2.Why do you need a progress meter for the book? Unless I am forcing myself through a book I never look to see how much is left.

Remember what NAEB is currently evaluating is prototype software. If we can present a good argument for adding a feature, there is a good change of getting it in.
1. I feel safe this way. I don't want to worry and go to a specific menu to check on my batter status when we speak about ebook reader. I tend to forget about things. I know for sure that if I don't have the battery status bar I will end up one day with a flat batter when I am outdoor. So, without the status bar I would have 1 more issue to worry about . Now I have 1 less

2. Honestly. I don't know how to answer to the question.
I am at loss here

Probably because when I started to read books at age...dunno 5? I always knew how many pages in total are in a particulat book and I like it? I like to know my whereabouts in a book. Whether it is 1/3 into a book or I am past 1/2, or there are only 10 pages left? I just cannot imagine to read a book differently.

Both of the features help to maintain the same feeling as I have when I read pbook. That's what I need from ebook reader.

Last edited by astra; 09-16-2007 at 09:35 AM.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:34 AM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post
1. I feel safe this way. I don't want to worry and go to a specific menu to check on my batter status when we speak aboutebook reader.

2. Honestly. I don't know how to answer to the question.
I am at loss here

Probably because when I started to read books at age...dunno 4? I always knew how many pages in total are in a particulat book and I like it? I like to know my whereabouts in a book. Whether it is 1/3 into a book or I am past 1/2, or there are only 10 pages left? I just cannot imagine to read a book differently.
I do have a bad habit of page counting to know how many pages I have left. I actually like the x of y display. It goes along with how I read dead tree books. As for the battery, it takes more battery to have to check the battery then it does to display the battery meter. It's at least 2 page flips to have to check the batter on the Gen3.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 09:38 AM   #54
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It goes along with how I read dead tree books.

When I was editing my post
Quote:
Both of the features help to maintain the same feeling as I have when I read pbook. That's what I need from ebook reader.
I didn't know about your post yet
Old 09-16-2007, 09:51 AM   #55
MikeF74
Groupie
MikeF74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Related to the Page X of Y display, this is more of a "it would be nice if" request than any kind of specific Cybook criticism...

It would be nice to see how many pages are left in the current chapter. With a real book, I frequently flip ahead to see how many pages are left in the current chapter. Just to see whether it is worthwhile to push through to the next chapter break, or get back to real life whether that means going to sleep or saying to the wife "I'll get to that in a second, I've just got a few pages left".
MikeF74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 09:55 AM   #56
astra
The Introvert

Quote:

It would be nice to see how many pages are left in the current chapter. With a real book, I frequently flip ahead to see how many pages are left in the current chapter. Just to see whether it is worthwhile to push through to the next chapter break, or get back to real life whether that means going to sleep or saying to the wife "I'll get to that in a second, I've just got a few pages left".
My main reading time is in bed before I go to sleep. So, I do it every night
I go to TOC to see it.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:57 AM   #57
penty
Connoisseur

Personally I've never have looked at the page count of a book while I'm reading it. At least not one I'm reading for pleasure but I can see where you are coming from.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:47 AM   #58
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Quote:
It would be nice to see how many pages are left in the current chapter.
Interesting take on the subject, I never thought of it that way, but I have always done the same with a dead-tree PB, especially when I'm in bed and looking for an off-ramp before I hit the zzzz's.

This would be a nice feature, but maybe a little difficult to implement unless the books are authored properly and the hardware was configured to recompute the distance after a book is re-paginated; i.e., fonts size changed, book recompiled for different device, etc.

Cool thoughts!
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 12:19 PM   #59
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
FBReader has an (optional) progress bar (screenshot on a Sharp Zaurus). It did not originally include a page count but now it does if you want, and this was so important to some readers that they implemented it themselves and contributed it back to the project. The downside of the progress bar is that it takes up screen real-estate, but I leave it on most of the time. The page count is usually per book, but the progress bar will have lines marking chapter boundaries if the e-book has a TOC.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 12:41 PM   #60
penty
Connoisseur

The big problem with a page count is that it changes depending on what font size you pick. I did a quick experiment and and the larger sizes books become over 3000 pages long. A progress bar makes more sense.