Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 04-21-2011, 12:37 AM   #1
Kurt
Connoisseur
Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Nook HD+, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Landscape Orientation For Ebooks?

Found some old discussions for this but nothing recent

Is there any info about this being fixed/in the works?

With one working eyeball i find increasing both the font size and the line spacing makes it possible for me to read at all - with increased font size i find it much more pleasurable to read in landscape mode as each line of text is longer than it would be in portrait mode (much less scanning back and forth for that one eyeball)

The weight of many e-readers makes for much more comfortable handling if held in one hand in landscape orientation

Haven't purchased the NC yet but actually went to B&N today to do so - - - was shocked to discover that ebooks couldn't have their orientation changed - walked out of store without one

Just seems kind of odd as my cheap currently non-working e-reader (Augen) had no issues doing this
Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:53 AM   #2
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
As far as I know, nothing has been announced regarding support for landscape in ePubs.

If you want a NC, and landscape for ePubs is a must, your option is to root and use an alternative reader.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2011, 07:32 AM   #3
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
One option would be to use Calibre to convert the epub to PDF. The PDF will display in landscape format on the NC. Of course, there might be other issues with the PDF (often the conversion is not so good), but at least you'd get your landscape format.

Also, you could check the other output formats that Calibre will do. Perhaps some of them will display in landscape on a NC. Mobi perhaps, but I don't know if the NC supports that. Maybe "HTMLZ" (I don't know what that Z is all about)? Maybe even plain text?

I do agree that it's a shame that an epub won't display that way. Maybe when the upgrade comes on the NC (any day now?).
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote