Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 08-10-2007, 09:36 PM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloNL View Post
It is possible and I think I know how to do it but I won't. Let me explain. In order to make it so that the counter will ignore charging through USB I need to do something in the USB part of the XML file. But I really don't want to take the risk because if it bricks there is a probability that I can't unbrick it anymore.

You can use the other main.xml where you need to reset it yourself. Also it's possible to map a button in the root menu to reset the counter. I made a new file where you can reset the counter in every menu by holding the "Next" button for a few seconds. Or are you ok with the "ENT" button in the "About" screen?

It is possible to make all menu pages add to the counter. Do you want the counter to show up in the status bar as well or only add to the total count?
I'm fine with going to the about menu to reset the counter. That way I won't do it by accident. I have to want to do it.

Having the page count in the status bar even in the menu pages is fine. It would then show a true page count since menu flips also count as a page flip.

if you can't sort out the USB without too much of a risk, don't bother. It's not worth it. But if all it takes is a reflash to fix things, then sure, go for it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 05:30 AM   #47
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm fine with going to the about menu to reset the counter. That way I won't do it by accident. I have to want to do it.

Having the page count in the status bar even in the menu pages is fine. It would then show a true page count since menu flips also count as a page flip.

if you can't sort out the USB without too much of a risk, don't bother. It's not worth it. But if all it takes is a reflash to fix things, then sure, go for it.

I will take a look later to get the counter in the menu's.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2007, 10:41 AM   #48
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Here is the file Jon. It will show the total count also in the menu's.
Attached Files
File Type: xml main.xml (38.7 KB, 734 views)
Old 08-11-2007, 01:34 PM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloNL View Post
Here is the file Jon. It will show the total count also in the menu's.
Thank you! I'll give it an install sometime this weekend.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:50 PM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

diabloNL, do you know if it might be possible to change the reader so if you are playing MP3 and reading a book and hit both the volume up/down, it pauses the MP3 instead of muting for the ability to save battery life and then a hit again unpauses?
Advert
Old 08-11-2007, 04:02 PM   #51
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
diabloNL, do you know if it might be possible to change the reader so if you are playing MP3 and reading a book and hit both the volume up/down, it pauses the MP3 instead of muting for the ability to save battery life and then a hit again unpauses?
If I have some time I will take a look.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:19 PM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Thanks much!
Old 08-22-2007, 05:58 PM   #53
Raventhon
Raventhon began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Voyage
Is it possible to get some instructions for installing these hacks WITHOUT the use of an SD reader? I don't have access to one and would love these tools.
Raventhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 06:34 PM   #54
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can use libprs500's commandline tool to copy things to the SD card using the SONY reader.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 05:07 AM   #55
westsan
Enthusiast
westsan is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
I did the applicationStart.xml hack --------------- worked fine

Then I moved to do the 15.zip hack and didnt know where to put it so I tried to same directory -- failed!

With 15.zip and other zip files how/where shall I place the files?
westsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 08:16 PM   #56
Nogg
Literate!
Nogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it is

Device: PRS-500
Try using the Hack Builder: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13185
Nogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:13 PM   #57
jaybee
Enthusiast
jaybee began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Touch PRS-500
As a new user and a "non techie" I'm amazed at what you guys are able to do!

I'm anxious to have the page-flipping joystick. I downloaded the universal flasher, but I don't understand "unzip to the card." I'm a Mac user and I sometimes have trouble converting PC terms to Mac terms. I unzipped the file to my desktop (only way I know how to do it) and copied it to the card. Now the card shows a folder named "sd_flash_1" with 11 items in it named "bin," "files," "flash_opt.sh," etc.

If I understand what I have read in this thread, I should get rid of the sd_flash_1 folder and just put all the other 11 files "loose" on the card. Does this sound right? (This is a new card--has not been used before.)

Thanks for the help!
jaybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:27 PM   #58
Nogg
Literate!
Nogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it is

Device: PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybee View Post

If I understand what I have read in this thread, I should get rid of the sd_flash_1 folder and just put all the other 11 files "loose" on the card. Does this sound right? (This is a new card--has not been used before.)

Thanks for the help!
That's exactly right. The contents of the zip should be at the root level of the card and not contained within the sd_flash_1 folder.
Nogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:30 PM   #59
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Do make sure the cared is formatted in FAT format, that'll potentially save you some grief.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 01:06 AM   #60
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Saw the direct page hack and thought it quite useful (also the clock), so I used the instructions on the first page with an empty rs-mmc card (used as mmc of course - the one that came with 770 since I have a 1 GB for that one - incidentally mmc cards work as well as sd cards whenever sd cards work, though the reverse is usually not true, of course sd are much cheaper but if you have a spare mmc you can use it with the Sony) and it worked fast and as expected.

I did not lose anything (books, history), and I have the direct page and the clock and love both. I am happy with the turn page buttons the way they are so I did not install the other hack, but the direct page really ameliorates a lot of the slowness of navigation inside a book.

Many, many thanks to diabloNL for the hack and to Bob for the clear and precise instructions.
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote