Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-30-2007, 06:44 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Sentences We Love

This might be an interesting thread to start, if there's enough interest.

I started thinking about this as I was reading a book that Harry made available on the upload site - The Avenger - by Edgar Wallace.

The Avenger is about a number of heads that turn up - without bodies. It's not a humorous story, but the line below struck me as humorous. Almost forgot: there's also a gorilla that's a butler, named Bhag. (Maybe the novel is humorous, after all.)

Here's the line:

"If you're not a liar," said Jack Knebworth, "you're a piece of cheese!"

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-30-2007 at 06:47 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 07:01 AM   #2
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Deathless phrases should always be remembered and shared.

That's a wonderful quote to share with us. Thanks! I'll use it in some conversation somewhere. Non-sequiturs unite!
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2007, 08:27 AM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I actually have a collection of lines that caught my fancy over the years, some are from books (such as the air-hanging un-bricklike ships from Hitchhiker's Guide), others are from TV shows, real life experiences, and even a few that I came up with myself. I'm pretty good at turning a phrase, but stringing them together into an actual story ... not so much.

I won't subject you to the entire list, but here's one from The Cosby Show:
Quote:
May I have my sledge-hammer back now, please?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 08:58 AM   #4
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I love this line, although it doesn't really come originally from a book...

"Sir, you're drunk!" "Yes, Madam, I am. But in the morning, I will be sober and you will still be ugly." (Lady Astor and Winston Churchill)
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 09:35 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Winston Churchill had some great lines. One of my favourites, when talking about Clement Atlee, who beat him in the 1946 election:

"Mr Atlee is a very modest man. Of course, he has a great deal to be modest about"

HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2007, 09:41 AM   #6
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Calvin Coolidge, a US President in the first part of the 20th century, was called “Silent Cal” because he spoke few words – unlike modern politicians who never seem to stop.

At a dinner party it is said that a lady next to him said, “I made a bet with a friend that I could get you to say three words tonight.” To which he replied, “You lose.”
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 11:50 AM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was thinking of that very one also, RWood!
Old 05-30-2007, 12:05 PM   #8
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Great minds run in the same gutter,
Old 05-30-2007, 12:47 PM   #9
Egghead
Mentat
Egghead has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Bookeen Gen3 Cybook
Another famous exchange between Lady Astor and Winston Churchill:

Lady Astor: "If I were married to you, I'd put poison in your coffee."

Reply: "If I were married to you, I'd drink it."
Egghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 01:07 PM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood
Quote:
Great minds run in the same gutter,
Since we're talking about gutters, shouldn't that be 'grate' minds?
Old 05-30-2007, 02:20 PM   #11
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood
At a dinner party it is said that a lady next to him said, “I made a bet with a friend that I could get you to say three words tonight.” To which he replied, “You lose.”
Aayup, and when somebody asked Coolidge why Vermont had more cows than people, he replied, "We prefer 'em."
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 02:20 PM   #12
RWood
Technogeezer

Quote:
Since we're talking about gutters, shouldn't that be 'grate' minds?
A pun is still the lowest form of humor, even if you did think of it first.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:04 PM   #13
NatCh
Gizmologist

What better place for the 'lowest form of humor' ... than the gutter?
Old 05-30-2007, 04:14 PM   #14
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote From Thud! by Terry Pratchett:

You could barely understand the man, he was that posh. It was not so much speech as modulated yawning
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 05:08 PM   #15
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
My favorite sentence - "Life, without parole!"
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote